Reload this Page >

Need help with Italy itinerary, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Mary

Hi Experiened Fodorites--in my frustrating attempt to use many, many FF miles I was finally able to get flights into Rome and out of Zurich (ten days apart)in mid-March. I did not confirm yet because I wanted to check with you all if an itinerary can be made out of this. I realize I will have to scramble for hotels but wandered if you all had some thoughts on a way to organize a trip with those "gateways." <BR> <BR>Grazie! <BR> <BR>Mary

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 02:08 PM
KT

First rule of travel: no route is too outlandish or inconvenient to be turned into an itinerary, especially if the plane ride's free! Are you planning on driving or using public transportation, and what would you like to see or do? Assuming you'll be using trains, take a look at a railway map and see what appeals. One idea that's pretty direct: Rome, then the Italian lakes, then up through Switzerland (maybe going a little to the east or the west for better mountains), then home from Zurich. Or it's not too terribly far out of the way to veer over to Venice, which I'd love to see in winter. Unless your plane home is very early, you could even stay in Luzern, not Zurich, the night before leaving, for better scenery. There's an hourly train from Luzern to Zurich airport that takes about an hour.

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 02:45 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Mary - this is definetly do-able, and I'd suggest you use the train. It's more expensive to rent a car in Italy tho it would give you more freedom.

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 07:07 PM
steve

Definately do it! This summer I got free tickets into and out of Zurich and we did a rail trip through France. I think you are actually lucky to have the two gateways. I agree with the previous suggestions about getting a rail map and looking at what route you could take. Rome is a great place to start and I would give it at least 2 days, you could then go to Florence, on to Venice and then Zurich(or Luzerne as suggested). The train from Rome to Florence is about 1 1/2 hours, Florence to Venice 3hours, and Venice to Zurich 8 hours. Check www.raileurope.com for more accurate info-I'm just looking at a brochure I have.

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 04:51 AM
Mary

Thanks everybody for all the encouragement--I appreciate it! We have not been to Rome so if we can find a place to stay (!), we will do that and then probably go to Venice--which we love. Any advice on Zurich welcome, as well. <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR> <BR>Mary

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 07:55 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Mary, I would include either Stresa or <BR>Lugano in this itinerary enroute to <BR>Luzern as your last stop before flying <BR>out of Zurich--it is only an hour to the <BR>Zurich airport from Luzern. With 10 days <BR>I would do a max of 4 destinations. <BR>Venice may be tough on this route.