Need help with Dublin hotel.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All - I am attempting to find a decent hotel in Dublin in late September. I am traveling from the states with my friends and husband. Our friends elected to stay at Barnacles Temple Bar House. We really don't want to stay at a hostel and saw very mixed reviews on the place. How close is the Hilton to the Temple Bar area? Also - any places to avoid? We are looking for a quiet area to stay after a long flight and before a lot of driving through Southern Ireland.

Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Temple Bar is basically THE place to avoid.

What is your budget?
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Under $200 would be preferred.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Try out the O'Callaghan hotels - they often do good deals - preferably ring them.

http://www.ocallaghanhotels.com/OCH/dublin/index.html

Try also Jurys Inn Christchurch - which you can sometimes get for 150 euros
http://www.jurysdoyle.com

also look at www.lastminute.ie

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:47 AM

jrm

Our favorite in Dublin is Staunton's- on-the-Green....can't beat the location, across the street from the pleasant St. Stephen's Green, and a short walk to Grafton Street, Oconnell Street, Trinity College, Temple Bar etc. We've sent several of our friends and relatives there...and if I recall, the rates are less than $200 (about 140 Euros).
Check this website...it's a beautiful Georgian Town House...and in a quiet area.
http://www.thecastlehotelgroup.com/s...page31093.html

Stu T.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 07:22 AM

We just returned from Dublin and stayed at the Pembroke Townhouse in the Ballsbridge area. It was very nice, in a quiet area, wonderful breakfast included, and under $200. It was recommended to me by several people on this site, and I would highly recommend it.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 08:33 AM

We also liked Staunton's on the Green. (ask for a 'quiet' room).

However, for the same price if you don't mind the bus ride from a bit south of town, Clontarf Castle Hotel is much more luxurious.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Regarding a "quieter" room at Stauntons, the front rooms facing the Green get street traffic noise..but we've asked for and received rear rooms facing Iveagh Gardens, a very broad expanse...and much quieter.

Stu T.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:21 AM

I liked the Stephen's Green Hotel, which is part of the O'Callaghan chain. The location is excellent.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Just as a note, if you want a quiet B&B, don't choose O'Neill's Victorian - it is a great location, and comfy rooms, wonderful hosts, but is NOT quiet. If, like me, you sleep with earplugs, then no problem
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:55 AM

I can't really provide a reply to your question, but I did want to clarify what you are asking.

Are you specifically looking for a review of the Hilton or some other decent hotel that is ALSO near to the Temple Bar area (so that you are near to your friends)?

Not really knowing Dublin, I wasn't sure if the suggestions being provided were providing you with options close to your friends or if that really mattered to you?
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM

There are 3 hiltons in Dublin. None of them are in Temple bar.

Temple Bar is a place to avoid unless you are 18, or on a stag party and want to get completely drunk.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM

My previous post was not meant as a criticism of any of the suggestions other posters have made.

I was just unsure what the OP's priorities were in their hotel search. I thought that if jrm612 clarified what they wanted in terms of distance to their friends hotel, then they would be certain to get suggestions that met their criteria.

As I said, I don't know Dublin, and I have been most impressed with all of the helpful knowledgeable people on fodors. I just found myself wondering what criteria they wanted applied - hence the clarification post.

Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM

We just got back from Dublin and stayed at the Schoolhouse hotel. It's not near Temple Bar but easily walkable, even for my six year old after a full day of sightseeing. We loved, loved loved the place, and it's within your budget. http://www.schoolhousehotel.com/
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I recently visited one of the new Hilton hotels in Dublin. It is in Kilmainham about 20 minutes from the city by bus or taxi. It is a very nice hotel in an interesting area - Kilmainham Jail and Royal Hospital Kilmainham closeby.
There are, however, no restaurants in the area - although there is a nice restaurant in the hotel.

This is a link to a townhouse/georgian guesthouse that, I havent stayed in, but I have heard good things about.
It is very central and in a relatively quiet street close to Trinity College

http://www.dublintourist.com/details...ty_lodge.shtml
There are other hotels etc on www.dublintourist.com

I would not stay in Temple Bar - very noisy - pubs and crowds of people.