Reload this Page >

Need help with day trip from Santiago de Compostela

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 03:00 PM
MarkJ

Is this a doable day trip from Santiago de Compostela: <BR> <BR>Leave Santiago de Compostela and go to A Coruna. Leave A Coruna for Bentazos and from Bentazos back to Santiago. <BR> <BR>On the map it looks pretty good. Can we take the train or a bus (which is the better option - time and cost wise)? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>MJ <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 05:21 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 05:59 PM
annon

!!

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 10:42 PM
wendy

I took a train from Santander to Santiago and had a 3 hour stop-over in A Coruņa. Go to the Torre de Hercules - the coastline is really beautiful. <BR> <BR>I don't think that answers your question but I hope it helps a little!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 05:25 AM
topper

!

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 04:18 PM
MarkJ

Since we're leaving next week i thought i'd bring this back up to see if anyone else can help. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>MJ

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 07:48 PM
Catherine

1) drive the coast line to santander, the cave paintings of altamira are close by there, but may be difficult to see without advance-purchased tickets. <BR>2) drive southeast to leon, the cathedral is one of the earliest gothics in europe.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 06:24 AM
Maira

Second Catherine in her suggestion RE: Leon. Very nice surprise during my last trip to Spain; one of my favorite towns. The Cathedral (indoor) and the Royal Pantheon blew me away for how old and well preserved they are. Recommend an overnight stay. La Posada Real was a beautiful hotel right in town with an excellent breakfast; reasonably priced. Another idea for day trip; Vigo (and then from there Portugal).

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:43 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 08:50 AM
covadonga

Hi, Mark. Sorry, but I didnīt find until today your question. <BR> <BR>It is doable. I think the best thing will be to get the bus. There are plenty of them from Santiago into La Coruņa, and you may ask at the bus station in Santiago about connections to Betanzos. Probably the bus from Betanzos wonīt go straight into Santiago, but through Coruņa, but the driving times arenīt so big. <BR> <BR>Donīt miss the Torre de Hercules in La Coruņa, the little tram that goes all the way along the coast from the harbour to Riazor (it stops at the Torre, but donīt look to your left, the buildings are kind of ugly, better enjoy the sea). I like Domus, an interactive museum built by Arata Isozaki, really good fun even if you are not a child. <BR> <BR>Betanzos is a quaint little town, the river surrounding it. I was there last summer during the festival, in May, and it was great fun. <BR> <BR>As an alternative day trip I would suggest you Pontevedra or Cambados (the Albariņo capital, have one glass on me). <BR> <BR>I think that if you only have four days in Santiago you should concentrate in the area surrounding it. Leon is a bit far away, good if you had more time, and Santander is far, far away (around 7 hours driving). <BR> <BR>There will be plenty of people in Santiago, good fireworks on the Apostle night, a lot of free exhibitions. Go to the Colegiata del Sar, go to the Santiago Virtual exhibition, if only to be able to visit San Martin Pinario (usually itīs closed to the public). Eat pulpo a feira, all kind of fishes, clams, seafood, drink Albariņo, buy "tarta de Santiago" at the "patisserie" opposite to the tourist office, to the left. Sit in one of the cafes in the Plaza de la Quintana, and write your postcards. Plenty of things to do. Go to the new town, and visit the shops of the galician designers in General Pardiņas, good prices and good quality, and now we have the sales going on. <BR> <BR>Sure I am forgetting something, but enjoy your time in Santiago. <BR>