Need Help with Car Rental OverSeas.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I KNOW this isn't the Middle East Forum, but there isn't much info on Israel and I suspect many of you can help me here. I will be docking in Ashdod, Israel in early September for 2 days as part of a cruise. Security is very strict at the Ashdod pier and you have to have clearance to even be in the docking area. I have hired a licensed guide who can enter the pier, but here is my question.
She says that if I rent a car in Ashdod, she will pick it up and drive to the pier to get us. This will save us money (according to her), because there is no Vat on us. I'm not sure but I thought whoever rents a car has to be the person to pick it up. Am I wrong? Does this sound like a doable plan? I think I like her, but with only 2 days, I want no hassles or complications. There's so much for us to see, I just want to get off the Ship and GO! Any info is appreciated. And YES, I put this question on Cruise Critic Boards and never received an answer! Thank you.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 09:49 AM
ira

Hey Z,

You want to hire this woman to take you around and show you the important sites.

You are willing to put yourself in her hands for 2 days.

Why are you second guessing her?

Old Jul 15th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Because I'm paranoid by nature. I only really trust myself! It just seems strange that I'm the 1 renting the car, but if I can, and save money, then I want to do it. Just want to make sure I'm wrong and she CAN pick it up, even with MY name on the rental!
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
why not e-mail the rental office and ask them?

if she is a licences guide they will probably know her.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM

A tour guides in Israel should pick you up and drive you around in his/her own car. I see no reason why you have to rent your own car, certainly see no logic in someone else signing the rental papers for you.... I don't know of any rental company in any other country who would do that.

I'd place your question in the Israeli forum here, there are posters who will sure answer this better than me...