Need help with car rental in Belgium

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH & I are going to the Benelux last 2 weeks of April. Flying into and out of Amsterdam. We are taking train from airport to Brugge for 3 nights. We then wanted to rent a car and tour the Ardennes and Luxembourg for 4 days. Don't know whether it is best to take a train to Lux City and rent there or to rent in Brugge and drive there. If we take a train, we will only have 15 minutes to change trains at Brussels Midi station. Is this doable if we are confused tourists! We can train from Lux City to Amsterdam with a nice route and timetable.
One other problem, all car rental places in both countries are closed on Sunday when we would need to drop car off. Have any of you used a drop box before and did you have any problems with that.
We are spending last six nights in Amsterdam. I have no problems planning that part of trip, just the first part which is about to make me wish that I had not already bought the airline tickets.
Please help.
Theresa
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 02:28 PM

We have often used the drop boxes after opening hours (in various countries). Never had problems.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM

I agree with Myriam..we've used drop boxes with no problems..in both France, UK and Belgium.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM

We rented a car through AutoEurope in Brussels, drove down to the Ardennes and Luxembourg, and back north to the Netherlands, dropping the car off at Schipol Airport, Amsterdam. All worked smoothly. The only problem we had was finding our way out of Brussels. Make sure you have a good map. And let the rental agency clearly mark the way out of that city -- too many ancient streets that twist and turn.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Hi duncmom1, We've done just what you are planning and If I may suggest, rent your car in Brugge, tour around,leave it in Brugge the day before your return to Amsterdam. Public transportation is easy all over Europe but if you rent in Brugge, why not head across Belgium first, see Luxembourg and make it an easy sightseeing thru the Ardennes as you head back. You can leave your car in Brugge the day before you need to be back in Amsterdam. Be aware there is a major airport drop off charge in Amsterdam. It is something close to €70, and that is not including the taxes etc. I have found that renting a car in Belgium is far less $$$ than France or Germany. We got the best rate from AutoEurope although I've since been told that if you get a quote from them, mention it to other companies. They will sometimes match. I like AutoEurope, the cars are always clean and in good shape...and...always there. Luxembourg itself is VERY expensive . Except for the city ruins, I found it a very bland place to see. The Ardennes are beautiful, but cheaper in France and Belgium. BTW, don't miss Durbuy, Belgium.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:16 PM

15 minutes is plenty to change trains in Brux.-Midi as long as the departing train really leaves from Midi also (there are two other train stations in Brux,).

WK