Need help with Boston return!

Old May 13th, 1999, 10:12 AM
Michele

Need help with Boston return!

I posted the following message under the "United States" section of this forum and have received no reply. Can someone in the Boston area give me their opinion?
My mother and I will fly into Logan on June 1 (day after Memorial Day). We are scheduled to arrive at 5:05PM.

Since it is an international flight we are estimating to take about an hour/hour and a half to retrieve our baggage and clear customs.

My mother then would like to take a taxi to South Station and needs to be there 7:30 PM at the latest.

Will an hour suffice to drive from Logan to South Station considering (a) rush our traffic (b) the Big Dig (c) day after a holiday???

Old May 13th, 1999, 10:36 AM
Ann

Michele,
There have been at least three very good replys to your question in the USA forum. At any rate, I don't think you'll have a problem getting to South Station. Be sure to tell the taxi you want the Williams Tunnel as the Boston side of it is just blocks from South Station, and on weekdays only taxis and commercial plates, no passenger cars, are allowed into that tunnel. The taxi might have to make a large circle around the station though, as it's all one way (in the "wrong" direction) and indeed it's in a very conjested area of the Big Dig. Just keep in mind, if there was no traffic, the ride to SS would take about ten minutes, so you have 50 min. to deal with the traffic! Good luck.

Old May 13th, 1999, 10:36 AM
elvira

Yikes, you will be cutting it very VERY close. Logan can be a joy for Customs and Immigration....or the worst. As for getting to South Station...you have to go through that damn tunnel, but it'll be a bit past rush hour...only thing that could go wrong is the unexpected breakdown or accident in the the tunnel.

Old May 13th, 1999, 11:15 AM
Elsa

You might want to consider the water taxi/shuttle from the airport across the harbor to the Rowes Wharf area. This way you'll avoid the tunnel and you wouldn't be too far from S.Station. You could take a cab from the drop off point which won't(shouldn't) take too long to SS. If you have a lot of luggage this may not work well for you.
Elsa

Old May 13th, 1999, 11:25 AM
Robin

Michele:

Another factor to consider is what happens if your international flight gets delayed? They're usually fairly good about landing on time - they have a bit of leeway on the long haul flights to "catch up" if your flight is delayed in departing, but occasionally the unforeseen does occur.

I assume you need to get to South Station to connect with the "T" or another train/bus departing from there. I don't know where your final destination is, however, have you considered another option or back-up plan? There are shuttle buses that cruise between the airport terminals which will take you to the "water taxi". The "water taxi" or Harbor Express can then get you into Long Wharf in Boston or across the bay to a stop in Quincy, close to the Fore River shipyard. You can check out their schedules at http://www.harborexpress.com/

And Michele, I know you realize you're stretching your 'international' departure to qualify this query as a Europe related matter, but I'll let that slide.

Old May 13th, 1999, 12:04 PM
Walter

Michele
What is your final destination? The reason I ask is I've seen buses that pick-up right outside the international terminal, for RI, NH, Cape Cod, and I believe Maine and other Mass. cities.
Let us know perhaps, there is another option. Good-Luck Regards, Walter

Old May 14th, 1999, 10:00 AM
Carrie

Michele: I agree 100% w/ Ann. Make sure you insist on them taking the Ted Williams Tunnel out of Logan (it's right @ Logan), as soon as you get out of the tunnel South Station is a relatively short ride away. Yes you will have RUSH HOUR, but you should make it in plenty of time. Understand also too, that South Station itself, will be quite busy itself.