Need Help With Athens and Surrounding Areas Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have a 10-day trip to Turkey and Greece we're planning for early May. We arrive into Athens at night on May 5th and leave from Istanbul on May 15th. We were planning to see Athens briefly and then head to Turkey, but now I wonder if we should spend more time in Greece too? Where should we go in early May that isn't too far from Athens and that is well worth seeing? Is there an itinerary that can take us from Athens to an island then onto Turkey? Many thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:14 AM

You could visit Hydra island which is very picturesque and very easy to go to from Athens. Just 1,5hr from Piraeus with hydrofoil.
Also you may find cheap air tickets to Santorini, and spend 2-3 days there.
It all depends on your interests!
You could even visit Delphi which is 2,5 hr drive from Athens.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:47 AM

Hi Imarent!

You might want to consider taking a 1-hour flight to the island of Rhodes.It's a fascinating island with tons of history, gorgeous beaches, and a medieval walled old town that is wonderful to explore.

From Rhodes, you can take a ferry to either Bodrum or Marmaris. The ferries to Bodrum only run twice a week, and I think that's in the summer months starting in June. Ferries to Marmaris are on a twice-daily schedule, but again check for spring/summer schedules.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:56 AM

I just wanted to make clear that Bodrum and Marmaris are both in Turkey!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:46 AM

According to this website the ferries from Rhodes to Bodrum operate twice weekly from May 15-Oct. 15. Ferries from Rhodes to Marmaris operate daily between April 1 and October 31 and twice weekly the rest of the year.

http://www.ankertravel.net/ferry.asp

There are other schedules listed here as well.

The following is quoted from this website:

"The main ferry connections between Greece and Turkey are Rhodes-Marmaris, Rhodes-Fethiye, Kos-Bodrum, Rhodes-Bodrum, Samos-Kusadasi, Chios-Cesme and Lesvos-Ayvalik.
These lines are all - except Samos-Kusadasi - operated whole year round. In winter (November 1st - March 31st), mainly twice a week, in Summer (April 1st - October 31st) almost daily by either the Greek or Turkish ferry company. And in the peak season (mid-June to mid-September), you may even have two connections a day.
For these lines, you have the option to take a one-way ticket, an open return ticket or a daily return (except for Lesvos-Ayvalik).
Greek port taxes only apply for the open return tickets. Turkish port taxes are applied for all tickets. The amount of the taxes vary depending the embarkation port."

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

these are incredibly helpful suggestions. thank you.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 02:25 AM

Hi

I have recently returned from Turkey and Greece. Please note that there is alot to see in Turkey too. Your itinerary should not miss Cappadocia (absolutely incredible), Ephesus and of course Istanbul.