Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

need help: Where to go, Prague or Budapest?

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I am going on a short trip ( 4 days) with my husband, first trip together after the wedding, It will be like our mini honeymoon. We can't decide whether to go to Prague or Budapest?
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM

I personally like Prague better- it has one of the preserved medieval cores in Europe. However, it has become very touristy since its "discovery". I have been there 3 times, in 1993, 1999 and just a few weeks ago. IMO it was much more interesting in 1993. Budapest seems to have westernized at a much slower pace, but had less to start with of interest. I visited there in 1993 and in 2005.

Rick
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Prague, as a choice between Prague and Budapest. If you were to add Vienna into the mix, it would be a tougher call based on our trip to the "tri-cities" in 2006. We enjoyed them all-for different reasons. Prague is the best-preserved city after WWII; it received little or no bombing. However, it was occupied by the Nazis and later the Soviets, and much of these occupations are memorialized in various ways through the city, notably in the Jewish Quarter where a guided tour was one of our most educational and moving experiences of just a few days in Prague. Prague is also a pretty compact town in which to walk (a $10 compass is a useful gadget to sort out your directions). Prague is also the "home" of Mucha's art nouveau movement. There is a fine Mucha museum. If youy are classical music lovers, Prague is also the historical operating territory for Dvorak and Smetana and concerts of their music are held daily at the "Municipal Building", an impressive music venue in the Old Town (there are five separate performing halls and at least two or three restaurants and bars incorporated in the building). Lastly, if you've not narrowed down hotel choices, we'd highly recommend Pariz, a turn-of-the-century (19th-20th) art nouveau building (inside and out) with perhaps the greatest buffet breakfast in the western world. It's a bit pricey but we got a nice discount by paying in advance on line.

You should have a great time in either city. but Prague is a winner by a nose. If you like beer, the REAL Budweiser (the name was stolen by this little brewer in St. Louis) is brewed and served in Prague, along with Pilsner Urquell.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM

If you are into ballet, opera or music.. budapest hands down.

Prague IS beautiful, but I find dining better in Budapest and just more things to do there. Both merit a visit so just go to the other one next trip!
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM

hi michella,

I agree - Prague by a head, it's just prettier, and more what I suspect you would be looking for on a honeymoon. it's got loads to do with beautiful buildings, and fun bars and restaurants. in the summer, the area up on the hill above the old town would be nice.

if you like music, there are also lots of concerts and the opera is very cheap and in a beautiful building.

but Budapest woudl also make a very good place for such a trip as would Krakow.

congrats, and have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM

We were in Budapest, Vienna and Prague last fall. I found Budapest more interesting than Prague.

You may want to check airfares to both places. Last year the airfare round trip to Budapest was the cheapest of the cities we were looking at.

http://www.budapestinfo.hu/en/city_of_spas The spas are great.

We enjoyed dinner at The Spoon - a restaurant on the river.

The tap water in Budapest is pure and better than bottled water.

We stayed at the Hotel Pest which was in a good location - about one block from the opera house and Andrassy Ave. Would go back there again.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for Budapest, unless you're going out of season. Prague has a pretty old town, but it's hard to appreciate when overrun with other tourists. Budapest is bigger, less heavily touristed, and still has attractive vistas and plenty to do. I've been back to Budapest, but not to Prague
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Definitely Budapest. We just returned 3 weeks ago from Central Europe where we visited both cities (in addition to others). We were disappointed in Prague. Yes, we're glad we went and there are pretty buildings if you look up so as not to see the huge crowds in Prague and the uncleanliness. Budapest, in our opinion, was much cleaner than Prague. And if you are into opera, the Hungarian State Opera is out of this world. Prague has a very interesting Jewish quarter to visit, but Budapest has the Great Synagogue, the 2nd largest in the world and very beautiful with its Moorish design. For romance, get a hotel with a view of the Danube. We stayed at the Marriott and our room had one wall with windows overlooking the Castle and the Chain Bridge lit up at night. Absolutely fantastic! (also only $65(US) a night on Priceline).
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM

I guess Prague is prettier, but for some reason it's Budapest we want to see again.

We loved staying at the Hotel Gellert, with its wonderful spa.

Byrd
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 03:00 PM

I have not been to Budapest, but I am in Prague right now. I find it more beautiful than expected. Very romantic at night!
Yes, there are a lot of tourists but
the same is true in Florence or Toledo. Wonderful buildings from various periods, grat beer, a zillion restaurants, concerts every night ..One can always find a spot away from the crowdes .
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM

p. sorry for mistakes - late at night here.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 04:44 PM

A table for two on Spoon café restaurant looking across at the Chain Bridge lit up doesn't get much more romantic than that anywhere.

http://www.spooncafe.hu/

or Robinson up on the city lake http://www.robinsonrestaurant.hu/

They have really updared their website! It is enticing, isn't it?

If you can afford the Sofitel river view room, you will have the chain bridge view until you fall asleep.

http://www.accorhotels.com/es/hotel-...ge/index.shtml

Join their frequent stay club ( free membership) and receive some special treatment.

I think Budapest will change more over the years than Prague.. which has already had its boom.. so, maybe see it before it gets overrun.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; We have been to Prague three time and the beauity of the city, with very little WW2 destruction, is a winner for us. Budapest had 30,000 buildings destroyed, but it also is a lovely city. I don't understand, tourists, who worry about too many tourists. They are part of the experience. Whatever you decide, have a great trip. Dick See www.inyourpocket.com/ for a 'download' of Prague
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM

My vote would be for Budapest. Budapest has lots of interesting neighborhoods where you can get a feel for life in Hungary. Old Town Prague is very touristy with street after street of garnet and crystal shops.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Iris, I don't know if you are open-minded or willing to listen to explanations, but no one has said tourists aren't part of the experience in Prague. What they have described is their reaction to that experience. Many people travel -- and spend a lot of money doing so -- because they enjoy experiencing cultures with unique traditions or are very different from their own. Generally speaking, that is less likely to happen in places where foreigners dominate, or where the local commercial culture is set up to cater to the comfort requirements or tastes of foreign tourists. Its a good thing that people with sensibilities different from yours share their reactions. They have saved me a lot of time and money, since I don't enjoy going to places where the local culture has been supplanted by a tourist culture.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM

These are two cities that should NOT be missed and enjoyed the sooner the better. I love those "In Your Pocket" guides, too.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 05:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi zeppole; I respect that opinion, but I still reserve my own. For me, there is just too much talk from 'tourists' about 'too many tourists'. Michella; try this for Budapest. http://everythingbudapest.eu/
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:34 AM

A shame a lot more cities did not enjoy Prague's luck at not being bombed during the War, then we would all be more spread out!
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"there is just too much talk from 'tourists' about 'too many tourists'." - at least we're not calling ourselves "travelers" instead, lol. But some places, and some times of year, are definitely worse than others in regard to being overwhelmed by tourists (try Dubrovnik when a cruise ship is in port), and it is reasonable to issue a warning. Prospective visitors can then make their own choice, and with only four days the OP should pick either Prague or Budapest.

There are, in fact, still worthwhile places to visit that haven't yet been over-discovered - read P_M's current report on Romania, for instance, or visit Slovakia. My next trip includes Georgia and Armenia, and I will be rather surprised if Tbilisi has as many tourists as Prague. My last trip included Nice, a "tourist destination" if ever there was one, but I was there at the beginning of April, and really enjoyed a place I imagine I would hate in July.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for your help and recommendations. Now you made it harder to choose as both cities seem to be something never to miss. We decided to go to budapest now and visit prague in the next few months. Thanks again for the help. I would appreciate your recommendations of nice hotels in city center or the nearest, as expedia list of hotels never ends
Cheers
Michella

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information