Reload this Page >

Need Help-Where to go for Valentine'sDay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 06:35 PM
Lynn

My husband and I have 5 days off around the weekend of Valentine's Day. We can't decide where to go-would like somewhere compact enough to see in 4-5days and not too cold. <BR>We spent V. Day in Paris a few years agoit was nice, but cold. <BR>Anyone have any suggestions? We have thought of Paris(again),South of France, but we've been there. Any suggestions in S. America? Is that feasible in 5 days? <BR>Any info will be greatly appreciated. <BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 04:29 AM
Sanne

Hi Lynn. <BR>How about Venice? <BR>Maybe it will be a little chilly for Valentines Day, but it will be romantic and there won't be that many tourists. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR>Sanne

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 04:47 AM
elaine

Unless you have your heart set on a warm weather destination, I'd always vote for <BR>Venice or Paris. Even if I spent a good part of each day nursing a coffee or hot chocolate at a cafe while my umbrella drips in the corner, I would consider it <BR>romantic and memorable. Venice is notably uncrowded in the off-season, but the sights and sounds and sensations and singularities are still there, and there are beauties to be seen indoors as well as out. <BR>On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for Rio's summer, I'm sure. <BR>elaine <BR>

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 05:47 AM
anne

The most romantic and memorable V Day we've had was last Feb. in Belgium. We're very near Washington-Dulles airport, so it was an easy direct flight to Brussels, where we walked around early Sat. morning through the quiet town, and ate our way through the pastry and chocolate shops and bakeries, in between looking through the Sablon weekend antiques market. Around noon we took an hour train to Brugges, which was *magical* - and found out that it was a popular spot for V Day -all the hotels were booked! We were able to find a B & B that night, and the next stayed in a wonderful romantic canal-side inn. The weather was superb, which obviously makes a huge difference. We were able to walk and ride bikes along the canals, by the windmills, through the cobblestone streets. <BR>Needless to say, we recommend it highly!

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 07:51 AM
Lynn

Thanks to all everyone's input. We have been to Italy and France, so Belgium sounded good to me. <BR>Anne, my husband isn't convinced about Brussels yet, so any more info you could provide would be great. <BR>Also, what will the weather be like in February?

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 10:08 AM
anne

Last year it was an amazing 60 degrees F., and sunny! Gorgeous weather - but it's probably not always like that in Feb.! Maira is a frequent poster to this forum and I believe she's from Belgium - maybe she can help! The hotel we stayed in the second night was t'Bourgoensche Cruyce, 41 Wolestraat, phone 011-32-50-33-79-26. A double big room, beautifully furnished and overlooking the canal, was $108. Another suggestion: check the previous postings on Belgium, Brussels, Brugges - alot of good info to share with your husband. <BR>We spent a night in Brussels on our way home from France earlier this month, and found another terrific restaurant - I'll look up my info at home about that as well. <BR>

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 04:16 PM
anne

Me again... <BR>Talked with my husband about what he especially enjoyed about Brugges - just walking around, the delicious food (best frites ever from the cart outside the bell tower), the museums - great Flemish primitives, the tandem bike we rented, the hundreds of exotic beers, and most of all the exquisite medieval town itself. <BR>The restaurant we recently tried in Brussels was "Le Vistro". It's on St Catherine's place, and has fantastic seafood and a fun artsy ambience. <BR>What makes it so "doable" in a short time is the easy access to the center of Brussels from the airport by train (walk to the lovely Grand Place), and then the easy access to Brugges - just an hour away also by train. <BR>Another highly recommended eatery: Le Pain Quotidien. There are several of them in Brussels, and at least one in Brugges. You can sit at a long wooden communal table and order your basket of breads or croissants and a bowl of coffee, then try one after the other of the many spreads - jams, honeys, white and dark chocolates, nut spreads lined down the center of the table -absolutely delicious!! <BR>Our favorite chocolate shop in Brussels (we tried many!!) was Galler - rue au beurre 44. Rich, full tasting and worth every franc and bite! <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 05:40 AM
Marit Sjuve

I suggest Venice. I and my husband is travelling to Venice 11. - 14. February, during the Venice Carnival. It is a bit difficult to find Hotel, but we made it. <BR>Have a nice holliday! <BR> <BR>Best Regards, <BR>Marit