Reload this Page >

Need help w/ Scotland trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:04 AM
Amy Avent

Looking at going to Scotland this July- fly to London for the weekend and then fly to Glasgow or Edinburgh, spend a couple of days there and head up into the Highlands. Last summer I went to Ireland and stayed on the Beara P. which to us was prefrable to the Kerry b/c we like to hang out in pubs with locals and not be around all tourists. How does n nw Scotland compare b/c from my initial investigation it sounds like Kerry. Where would be a good place for 2 30 year olds who like outdoor activities in the daytime and drinking beer and talking to locals at night to base their stay for 3-4 nights?

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:44 AM
Laura

You must go to Inverness. It is a great town in the very north of Scotland. Lots of local 20 somethings handing out in great pubs. Very friendly crowd. Lots to see and do in the area.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 03:12 PM
Sheila

Amy; try Assynt or Lochinver. If you check these out and have questions come back to me.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 10:14 AM
Mary P.

Well, we JUST got back from Glasgow and Edinburgh. In Glasgow, the best place to stay (especially in consideration of your requirements) is the Babbity Bowster in the Merchant City section. It's a restored Robert Adam building with a pub on the first floor, gourmet Scottish restaurant on the second and six simple yet immpecably appointed rooms on the third (long climb, no lift, but worth the hike.) There's a wonderful outdoor beer garden that has won awards for it's flowers, and a canopy for gloomy days...the highlight is definitely the locals who hang there every night, a real family of interesting professionals and characters...a hearty Scottish breakfast is included and the pub serves traditional Scottish fare all day...Fraser Laurie is the owner and driving force: the Babbity Bowster is a short walk to the center and surrounded by a multitude of throbbing local pubs at night, if you want to really experience Glasgow, this is the place for you. In Ed we stayed at the funky Bar Java, on the waterfront in Leith...frequent buses take less than ten minutes to the center and the neighborhood is full of interesting pubs, bistros and restaurants as well. (The historic Nobles Pub next door has the best french fries I have ever tasted in my life!) A super pub and the rooms are just fine (not en-suite but not really a problem). Breakfast is also included. They have a beer garden as well and lots of interesting locals. Neil is the owner. Both places can be found on the internet and I don't think you will be disappointed. I do all my planning using the internet but I think we have settled on our two abodes for future visits to these wonderful cities. One last tip: don't miss the Corinthian Bar in Glasgow and the Dome in Ed for a special glass of whisky, fantastic architecture and a good Cuban cigar...go during the afternoon when they are each flooded with warm Scottish sunlight and not as busy.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 08:21 PM
Tangata

Have a look at Glenelg and the Inn there. Just across from Skye (ferry around the corner) lovely old inn, super scenery and food to die for.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 11:10 PM
sh

If your heading north try Drovers Inn at North end of Loch Lomond, good out door base and locals at night. Glen Coe ideal outdoor base and a few great pubs too, Kings House hotel, Clachaig Inn, both V popular with outdoor and beer loving enthusiasts! Glen Coe 2 hours drive from Glasgow.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 04:49 AM
l

Hi <BR> I lived in Glasgow for 5 years and would recommend that before you go, get a good idea of places you want to check out what the clubs are like and the sort of bars you want to go to. It is a fantastic city but like all places the more you know it the better it gets so a few days might not be long enough to seek out the best places. A couple of areas you might like are Ashton Lane in the westend, this has 4/5 trendy and traditional bars a small cinema and a couple of excellent restaurants. This is where you'll meet friendly locals from students to born and bred glasweigens, ( and live music). Sauchiehall Street is probably the most famous place to go out with a multitude of bars and clubs but this is much more studenty but to escape you could try Brunswick Cellers ( a relaxed bar with a nice crowd). <BR>As you probably know you are only and hour or so from Loch Lomond and the west coast of Scotland which is beautiful. <BR>Enjoy your trip <BR>L