Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help understanding Euros, Pounds, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband wants to vacation in Europe next year, either Paris or London. I am doing the research now, and I am little confused about the exchange rates. I just did a conversion on a website, and 50.00 US dollars = 64 euros, which means an additional $14 american dollars? Is that correct??

(Math was never my strong point!!)

It seems like pounds in London are more costly than euros in France.

Once I have narrowed this down, then I can move on to researching hotels, things to do, etc. If we do decide to go, I am not sure if we should go with a tour company on our own.

Thanks for your help, its very much appreciated!!!!

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:28 PM
ira

Hi louise,

>... 50.00 US dollars = 64 euros,.. <

Unfortunately, it is the reverse;
50E =$65

>It seems like pounds in London are more costly than euros in France.<

Yes. 50 GBP = $95

Don't worry about it. Just go.

>I am not sure if we should go with a tour company on our own.<

I have not yet found a tour that costs less than doing it on my own for equivalent quality.

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rather than try to do math on exchange rates alone you need specific examples. A hotel room in Paris is 200 euro (for instance) use a conversion table or website and take than back into USD for planning purposes.

The tricky part comes when you don't know prices. For example a lunch for two in Paris could be 10 euro, 25 euro, 50 euro, 75 euro, etc. Depends if you are having a fancy meal with wine or a crepe standing on the street corner.

My best suggestion is reverse your planning and start doing research on hotels, things to do, etc. Get some sample prices and convert them back so you understand typical expenses.

The decision for self-planning or an organized tour package is an entirely different subject!! With all kinds of considerations: do you like to have things organized for you, or do you want to be more in control; do you enjoy having your hotels and restaurants chosen or would prefer to do your own research and reservations; do you like reading guidebooks and figuring out what interests you or would you rather be able to "get on the bus" and go along with the itinerary planned out for the group.

You have to understand this is not a simple 1=1 comparison.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know where you live, but both Paris and London are, on average, perhaps 15% more expensive than midwest USA. But then, so's New York City.
Since you'll be looking at "local currency" rates, let's consider those. A rate of 100€ (euros), at a rate of $1.00=1.32€, would be equal to $132.00.
A rate of 100£, with a rate of $1.00=1.90£, would be equal to $190.00.
You can factor up or down from that, or move the decimal point. The conversion rates may change day-to-day but not significantly to matter much.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 07:40 AM
rex

<<...I am not sure if we should go with a tour company [or] on our own....

{reply from ira]... I have not yet found a tour that costs less than doing it on my own for equivalent quality.

===================

At the risk of over-judging, based on this woefully superficial bit of info from "louise"... are you sure, ira, that this person is ready to be advised to plan a trip to Europe on her own?

Of course, this is her first visit here... (and not entirely grasping how to post a question here, evident from the double post)... and there is a whole year to get ready... but still!!!

(I'm sure the slings and arrows are being readied for me on how arrogantly, looking-down-my-nose I sound, with this assessment)...

It IS... my honest opinion, though...

Best wishes,

Rex