Need help planning trip to Bulgaria

Feb 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Need help planning trip to Bulgaria

Hi,
We are taking a tour to Central/Eastern Europe in early April and have 9 days on our own when it ends in Budapest. My husband, the adventuous one, has suggested spending that time in Bulgaria. This was supposed to be his trip and he does the planning, but it's getting close and I think he needs help.

Does anyone know a reliable travel agent we could contact, here or abroad to get started? We don't really want to drive ourselves. We're seniors and would prefer city tours, etc. We're interesed in colorful villages, historical sites, maybe the Black sea coast, if there is time.

I've seen some of the hotel recommendations here, but any for small private family owned hotels would be appreciated.

Is Sofia the best place to start out and what would be the easiest was to get there from Budapest? If air, any suggestions for inexpensive airline?

Also, we fly back from the Budapest airport. Are there hotels at the airport or do you need to stay in the city center? Our flight leaves at 7a.m. and we want to be sure to get to the airport by 5a.m. I'm already nervous about not getting there on time.

Hope some of you travelers can help.

Feb 14th, 2005, 02:29 PM

You'll need to get an air/hotel/tour bus all-inclusive tour. There are some very good tour companies that go to Bulgaria and other neighboring countries. I seem to recall that Grand Circle travel is good. But go to a travel agent, look at some brochures from tour companies, and pick one that sounds good. Good luck.
Feb 14th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Sorry, I suppose you must already have the air part of your trip arranged. You can still use the tour companies and join up with a tour that you like. Good luck.
Feb 14th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi Wayne,
We are going on a Grand Circle tour and it ends in Budapest. They have what's called a "breakaway", so for a small fee you can stay up to 30 days on your own. We're staying for 9 days. I'm hoping to find a tourist agent that will help arrange the 9 days. It doesn't have to be an official tour, could be an independent tour, but I'd like to have the transportation, hotels, English speaking city guides/points of interest set up ahead of time. I understand not that many speak English there and we don't know the language. So, anything I can set up before would be helpful.
Feb 14th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Granny,

When I went to Bulgaria I got in the car and drove there. Likewise, many on the Fodor's forum are do-it-yourselfers.

I think you should see a competent travel agent. Also contact the Bulgarian consulate and ask for recommendations. As I recall there is a semi-official tour organization for Bulgaria which dates back to the days of communist control.
Feb 14th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Actually Hopscotch, until last year we have done all our trips as independent do it yourselfers. Since my husband is now in his mid seventies, we think the roads might be safer if we left the driving in strange country to others.

I was hoping someone would recommend a competent travel agent they had actually worked with to get us started, or perhaps an itinerary they enjoyed

Search this Thread