need help planning day in Fussen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Germany/Austria in August. I've been reading and asking questions on this forum for several months, and am in the final planning stages so that I can get advance tickets for some of the busier attractions.

Unfortunately we only have one day in the Fussen area. I really regret that, but it would be hard to change our plans now (flights/meeting relatives, etc...)

My plan is to visit Wieskirche and either one or both of the royal castles. I also want to walk up behind Neuschwanstein for the view from the Marienbrucke Bridge. We plan to arrive in the Fussen-area by 10:00 a.m.

Here are my questions:
1. Are there any estimates of how long the roundtrip from Fussen to Wieskirche will take--including actually visiting the church (we will be driving).

2. If we do plan to see both castles--how far apart should I make the entry times? Let's say we do Neuschwantstein first. I've heard it is a 35 minute tour. I guess the question is, how quickly could we walk down to Hohenschwangau?

3. If I buy tickets on the internet, how far in advance would I need to arrive at the Hohenschwangau Parking Lot to pick them up? Is there a long line to pick them up? I've heard that it is a 25 minute walk up to Neuschwantstein.

4. We really want to hike up behind Neuchwanstein. I had thought the walk to Marienbrucke Bridge would be a nice hike. But then I read that is where the bus drops off hoards of people--and then I guess they walk DOWN to the castle--is that right?

5. If we walk from the parking lot, past the castle, to Marienbrucke--how long would that take? Maybe we should go up a bit further for better views? How far would we need to hike up to see the amazing views I've seen in some photographs?

6. Finally (!)--I read, I think somewhere on this forum, that it is possible to walk to the lake (Alpensee)--I guess there's a nice snack bar for pretzels along the way. Does anyone know where this walk starts? How long is it?

Thank you everyone. This forum has been so helpful to me. All answers are much appreciated!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 05:12 PM

2. I don't think you have a choice - when you reserve the tours, it's as a joint ticket. They only ask when you want to start Neuschwantstein and then you go from there. You can't choose a time for the 2nd castle (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I just reserved my tickets last week and this was how it worked for me)
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 08:11 PM

do both...the walk up to Neu. takes quite a while....there used to be a horse drawn carriage up to the bridge that leaves from the parking lot between the two castles...

don't schedule your selves too closely...
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:49 AM
ira

Hi C,

Driving times are at www.viamichelin.com

For tickets to the castles see
www.hohenschwangau.de/556.0.html

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM

We ordered our tickets ahead of time when we went in July. Hohenschwangau is first, then Neuschwanstein when you buy a combo ticket. You choose an approximate time to start the tour and are given exact tour times - for both tours, spaced a reasonable time apart. There was plenty of time to walk between the castles. You can also take a bus or a horse-drawn cart for a fee.

We arrived an hour before our tour time and had plenty of time - it took a few minutes (no line) to pick up our tickets and then maybe 10 to walk up to H. The line for those without reservations was pretty lengthy.

You are correct that bus loads of people are dropped off just above the bridge and walk down - the bridge was very crowded while we were there. The view is great, and my husband got some terrific pictures, but it was very crowded. You can hike up farther, although we did not since it was pretty hot and we were tired after wandering up and down the hills, and up and down the zillion stairs in the castles - LOL. I don't think you have to go very far though.

The Alpensee is right up the road from the castles, very close and easy to get to.

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the information!! Very helpful!

Still hoping someone has hiked up PAST Marienbrucke Bridge. I'm wondering how far it is to the even more "amazing" views of Neuschwanstein which are apparently somewhere farther up the trail.