Need help planning 1st trip to Greece

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:43 AM
cherie

Need help planning 1st trip to Greece

We have been to Europe several times- Italy, France, Germany, Belgium,Spain. etc but we would like to go to Greece next.
Should we take a cruise?? We don't do tours- we always do the trips on our own - except we do enjoy cruises. Is there a best time to go to Greece? Is it too hot to go there in July??? That's when we usually travel . Any advice would be great. Thanks

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:23 AM
elaine

Hi
I think you might want to narrow things down a bit regarding Greece--there are so many choices
Do a search here of Greece or Greek Islands and you will get a wealth of info. You might also want to do a similar search on the Fodors Cruise message board.

and here are some websites

www.gnto.gr Greek National Tourist Organization

www.cycladesislands.gr Cyclades Islands
www.ando.gr/eot Rhodes and the Dodecanese
www.cityofathens.gr Athens
www.compulink.gr/tourism
www.gogreece.com endlesss links, including hotels, beaches, etc
www.odysseas.com
www.greektravel.com personal pages but excellent,comprehensive info and links on Athens as
well as on the islands. Help with choosing itineraries.
www.agn.gr good information on the individual islands, weather, currency exchange
www.lonelyplanet.com

www.explorecrete.com

www2.hyper.gr/visit_hellas/index.html
http://home.sol.no/~jbergtun/engelsk/index.htm some hotels in each area or island
www.travelling.gr travel agencies, tours, cruises, limited hotel info

www.helios.gr selected hotels on selected islands, brief summary each island, including
access from other islands, current weather

http://www.i-escape.com/destination_guide_results.php?country=Greece

www.ellada.com has travel tips but there is no indication that the information is current or has been recently updated.

The ellada website also has a link to Aegean airlines which is current and provides inter-island travel info.

http://travel.to/gr links to travel agencies in Greece, tours. quite an extensive hotel index

www.greecead.com/gadhome/ some info on some of the islands, lots of pretty pictures

www.greekholidays.com on-line hotel bookings, message board

www.hellasguide.gr

www.filoxenia.com

http://mysp.com/p/resort/destination/
www.areianet.gr/infoxenios/

www.athensguide.com/schedules/ good information, sightseeing, transportation, ferries etc

Transportation:
www.olympic-airways.gr
www.aegeanair.gr domestic airline

Ferries, watch out for inconsistencies in the posted schedules
www.greekferries.gr
www.gnto.gr (Greek National Tourist Office site, lots of info on transportation of all kinds)
www.gtpnet.com
also www.ferries.gr/domstep1.asp
www.minoan.gr high speed and ferry services
www.strintzis.gr ferries among the islands plus Italy-Greece
www.ktel.org intercity bus companies
www.ose.gr Greek railways
www.yachtsgreece.com sailing and yachting

an article on cruising to Crete, Santorini, and Naxos:
http://cgi.chicago.tribune.com/travel/destinations/locale/1,1799,ID=9712070302,00.html

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Beth

We were there a few weeks ago and it was hot. Don't spend more than 2 days in Athens. You can probably see what you want to see in 1 day (we did). The locals we encountered all agree that September is the best time to visit. It is not as crowded, the temperature is not as hot and the water is much warmer. We took a small yacht cruise (Aegeotissa) which was great since it took us into the smaller ports. Only 14 people on the boat. We also drove down the coast of the Peloponnese (Nafplio, Tolo). greecetravel.com is a good place to start.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:38 AM
ELK

Greece is MUCH too hot in July-August. There's a day cruise to the 3 small islands in the Saronic Gulf. Also the over-night ferry boat (actually large ship) to Crete is great: eith to Heraclion or Hania. In Athens, any agent near Syntagma can help you ot booking. April and late Sept are best times

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Sue

We've been to Greece/islands 2X, both in May, and the weather was lovely. If you're beach people, you might want to wait until late May/early June, but that's the latest I'd wantto go, on account of the hot weather. Fall would probably be good, too.
We did not do a cruise and were glad that we didn't, just personal preference. We prefer to spend at least a few days in one spot rather than just several hours, as you would be doing on a cruise. However, to get a good overview of many ports of call, a cruise would do it. We took ferries( an experience not to be missed at least once in a lifetime!) to Mykonos and then on to Santorini, flew back. Flew both ways to Crete, having done the ferrys thing, and b/c of distance, too. Loved Greece; so much fun! Can't imagine anyone not liking it! Athens sometimes get a bad rap, but I think it's at least worth 2-3 days.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Sue

typo on ferry(s)

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 02:25 AM
michael

I don't know how far you have got in your planning but, as someone brought up in Greece and knowing it inside out, I would agree that
1) May and early October are the best 2 periods (or even APril if you prefer slightly cooler weather and like spring flowers)
2) Crete is a good first port of call, and you can take ferries via other islands to make an independent, cruise-style itinerary eg Santorini, Naxos, Paros etc

If you specify what sort of activities and accommodation you like I can give more specific advice.

Do check out
http://www.i-escape.com/greece.php
as a source of ideas.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:01 PM
rena

I am Greek so I can tell you this: choose smaller(and less Known) islands like Folegandros(ask for it!),Anafi,Kimolos,Sikinos in kyklades and Paxoi in Ionio. Have a nice holiday my friends.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Nan

Does anyone know what the weather is usually like in late December to January on Mykonos and Santorini. Usually like warm weather destinations at that time of the year, so I am wondering if it is usually warm there then. Thanks.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:29 AM
fiona

nan
december and january are not good months to visit if you like warm weather.
cherie
We usually go in July or August(because that is the only time I can get off) but I have been in October. If you choose October go to either Crete or Rhodes. If I could I would go in June or September. However if July is the only time you can go- GO! Michael gave you good advice. If you would like to see several islands it's far better to take ferries.elaine has given you plenty of links to get you started! Let us know what you decide!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:07 AM
anna

A lot depend on your interests. If you history buff as me, you should plan at least 4 days in Athens and then rent a car and tour a country for another 10 days. If you want a pleasant summer holiday, spend 1 night in Athens and of to the cruise ship

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:39 AM
JMM

Try to see Delphae - the setting is magnificent - it was one of the
highlights of my trip.