Reload this Page >

Need help on road advice-Romantic Road vs. A7 Autobahn

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:24 AM
Ted

I will be staying in Fussen and ending in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. I want to visit Nordlingen and Dinkelsbuhl prior to ending in Rothenburg for the day. In the interests of making as much time from Fussen, should I take the A7 as opposed to the Romantic Road to get to Nordlingen as soon as possible? Thanks for your opinions.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Lee

Ted, even though you say that you don't have a lot of spare time, I would still use the secondary road route. You can leave Fussen, taking first route 17 to Landsburg, then Augsburg, hooking up on route 2 to Nordlingen, then route 25 to Dinkelsbuhl and finally into Rothenburg. <BR> <BR>If you need to be in a hurry after that, like if you are leaving, say, out of Frankfurt, then you can use the autobahn. <BR> <BR>That scenic route is well worth the additional time that you'll spend, and it isn't that slow.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:50 AM
wes fowler

Ted, <BR>It's only about a two and a half hour drive from Fussen to Nordlingen via the Romantic Road and more scenic that the A7. You could, and should, detour off the Romantic Road at Steingaden to see one of the wonders of Upper Bavaria, the Wieskirche. Landsberg and Augsburg on Rte 17 offer a lot more than do Memmingen and Heidenheim on A7.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Ted

Thanks for your help. Hey Wes, I just looked up the Wieskirche in the Frommer's Tour book and it only gives directions on how to get there from Fussen via a bus. Can you get to the church via a car, or do you have to bus from Fussen. Also, how much time should I allow for this and do you know when it opens? Thanks again.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Alec

To reach the Wieskirche from Füssen, take Bundesstrasse 17 northeast for 21 km to Steingaden. Take a right turn for a minor road signposted Wieskirche, which is 5 km further on. Park your car near the church (thre's a small charge). On your way back, stop at Steingaden and look at the Klosterkirche St Johann - a romanesque church with fine cloisters. From Füssen, it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so. The Wieskirche is open daily, from 8 am to 7 pm (5 pm in winter). http://www.wieskirche.de/