Need help on Italy Itinerary

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 10:25 AM
dori

Need help on Italy Itinerary

Reposting so this will show up in Italy forum.... <BR> <BR>Message: My husband & I are taking our 1st trip to Italy for 22 days in November. I am frantically planning because I started late! <BR>Have definite things we want to see but also want to relax a bit in Tuscany by staying longer in 1 spot. <BR> <BR>Please advise on this planned itinerary: <BR>Day 1 - Arrive Rome (after overnight flight)for 4 days <BR>Day 4 - depart for Corsica (this because I have heritage from here) for 5 days <BR>Day 9 - dept for mainland - overnight in Sienna (or Florence??) while enroute to farmhouse cottage in Umbria <BR>Days 10 - 15 - stay in farm cottage near Umbertide <BR>Day 16 - 19 stay near Orvieto (agritourismo) <BR>Day 20/21: Stay in Florence <BR>Day 22: head back home (sigh) <BR> <BR>From Umbria and Orvieto we will do day trips to hilltowns (Cortona, Assisi, Civita, Todi, etc) Any thoughts from those with experience? Advice on Day 9? <BR> <BR>I am also thinking of looking for a travel expert to try for a package for the Rome/Corsica piece. (Airfare is done) <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance! <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 09:45 PM
Louise

Lucky you! I think I would prefer to stay in Siena overnight rather than Florence. While visiting the hill towns, add Spelo, Spoleto, and Gubbio to your list, and try to get to San Gimignano (my favorite, though lots of people think it's too commercial). Each hill town is unique and has its own character and charm. If you have a chance, you might want to read "The Hill Towns of Italy" by Carol Field - about the only place to find it is Amazon.com. Wonderful photos, and lots of information from someone who spent a lot of time in the area. Have a wonderful trip, and tell us about it when you get back.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 07:27 AM
dori

Thanks, Louise! Great suggestion on the book - that was one I hadn't heard of. Yes, I read the opinions here on San Gimignano - seems those who like it like it in the evenings after the tourist crowds... so I'll keep that I mind.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 01:21 PM
up

up, up... <BR>Calling all experts... <BR>Where's Paulo and Bob the Navigator??!

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 01:53 PM
Paulo

What are your plans regarding transportation? Are you renting a car or relying on buses and trains, Dori? <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 02:10 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Dori, I saw little reason to comment <BR>since your itinerary seemed rather set. <BR>My only question is why not make Orvieto <BR>your last destination to avoid back- <BR>tracking? I assume you are flying from <BR>Rome and that you will have a car. <BR> <BR>Sounds like fun to me--BUON VIAGGIO !

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:29 PM
dori

Sorry, Bob, I neglected to say flying into Rome and out of Florence! Much of the info from this forum helped me put together a game plan, but was looking for any "rooky errors" I may have made. <BR> <BR>I am now working on Rome reservations and was narrowed to either Hotel Aberdeen or the B&B at Hotel Julia. Now debating whether to consider Piazza Navona area because of the descriptions here of it being more residential and quaint. I go for quaint over "centrally located" any day. Quiet is also key. Any thoughts there? <BR> <BR> <BR>Paulo, yes, planning to rent a car after Corsica. Have not worked on car rental yet. Looks like we will take ferry from Livorno (opted out of taking a car over there - for simplicity). Need to do car rental either in Livorno on return or take train to Florence and rent there. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 06:41 PM
Sylvie

Ciao Dori, <BR> Seems like you have an action packed plan. I would like to suggest to stay in a castle in the Tuscan coutryside rather than Florence. It took me one hour to get a few blocks by car in Florence. www.Tuscany.net has many castles (min 2 nights stay) for $90-200 per night. You can easily hit Cortona and Siena if you stay in a castle. You will absorb much more of the countryside that way as well. <BR>Have a great trip! <BR>Buon viaggio, <BR>Sylvie <BR>PS- I will be in Tuscany myself in Oct and staying in a castle.If you are interested, I will let you know how it went. <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:54 AM
topper

!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 07:46 AM
topper

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 05:50 PM
Paulo

Well, Dori, I'm quite biased on what you should on day 9: if at all possible I would take the car in Livorno and head to Siena Now, once it's not clear at what time you'd manage to arrive from Corsica, let's leave the discussion on what to be eventually visited on route for the near future. In case you have to rent in Florence, I would probably advise you to stay in town for the night, and get the car the next morning. A visit to Siena could then be planned en route from Orvieto to Florence. If you en up renting in Livorno, I wouldn't worry much to get to Siena as soon as possible. Arriving in the late afternoon would be ok (but you have to promise me not to make big plans for the next day ... you'd reserve it for Siena, planning to leave around 4pm directly to Umbertide with just about no visits en route). <BR> <BR>I'll address your 6-night stay in Umbertide and 4-night stay in Orvieto later on <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:10 PM
rob

Thinking about going to Italy during same time and thinking about staying even later. Any idea what the temp is like in Tuscany, Portofino, and Positan o in the months of Nov-Dec? <BR>Also, any specific places to stay (reasonable castles?) in Tuscany?

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:36 PM
Dori

Sylvie, Great idea - had not even considered that. Checking out that site now. What castle are you staying in? <BR> <BR>Rob, I think weather will be in the low 60's from what I've gathered in my books. (Do a search here on NOV. weather.) Sounds like there may be some rain, but it was either go in OCT for 2 wks or NOV for 3 wks! I'll take the 3-week-potential-rain risk! <BR> <BR>Paulo, leave it to the ferry to mess up my plans! ;-) Can't leave when I had planned, so I am re-working the itinerary. A few Q's: Could I cut Rome to 2 days? What about staying in or near Sienna while enroute to Livorno? Should not be too out-of-the-way by train, right? <BR> <BR>Thanks, All!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 08:44 PM
Paulo

What went sour? Aren't there any ferries the days you planned to travel? Which days of November were you planning to go back and forth o Corsica? <BR> <BR>Anyway, if you're staying 3 weeks in Italy I guess you should find a way to stay more than 2 days in Rome! <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 09:23 PM
Jennifer

I made my first venture to Tuscany last fall and am happily returning in November. We stayed in a villa about 20 miles from Florence. It was extraordinary. <BR> <BR>My one suggestion would be to visit Lucca. It was far and away my favorite hill town. <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:14 AM
topper

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:57 PM
dori

OK, trying to re-work my itinerary (ferry times don't match) and having a hard time, I had so-o liked my original plan. What I did now was work in 2 options for the ferries one of which gives me a shorter time in Corsica. <BR> <BR>PLAN A: <BR>Day 1 - Arrive Rome (after overnight flight)for 4 days <BR>Day 4 - depart for Sienna for 2 days (possible day trip to Florence) <BR>Day 6 - Train from Lucca to Livorno in the AM to catch ferry to Corsica for (only) 3 days <BR>Day 11 - dept for mainland train to overnight in Sienna (pickup car) while enroute to farmhouse cottage in Umbria <BR>Days 12 - 15 - stay in farm cottage near Umbertide <BR>Day 16 - 20 stay near Orvieto (agritourismo) <BR>Day 21: Stay in Florence <BR>Day 22: fly out of Florence for home <BR> <BR>PLAN B: <BR>Day 1 - Arrive Rome (after overnight flight)for 2 days <BR>Day 3 Train from Rome to Livorno in the AM to catch ferry to Corsica for 6 days <BR>Day 9 - dept for mainland train to overnight in Sienna (pickup car) while enroute to Orvieto <BR>Day 10 - 15 stay near Orvieto (agritourismo) and DAY TRIP VIA TRAIN TO ROME to make up for lost day!! <BR>Days 16 - 20 - stay in farm cottage near Umbertide <BR>Day 21: Stay in Florence to fly out on <BR>Day 22: Florence to home <BR> <BR>I've been working and reworking this all day because I didn't want to give up my "home base" strategy for Orvieto and Umbertide. Any ideas are welcome!!

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:12 PM
annette

I am planning a trip to Tuscany in Feb. can you tell me where to stay?

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:48 PM
Paulo

Which day, in November, is day 1 Dori? I'm asking because you may have another option that you haven't considered. This involves a very lengthy trip to Corsica (or back) and you'll probably end up ditching it. But I would put it on paper for comparisons ... who knows? <BR> <BR>There's also a ferry service between Savona and Bastia. From Savona there are ferries on Nov 3, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26 and 28 (I only listed dates when there isn't any ferry out from Livorno). These are night ferries ... you'd arrive in the early morning. From Bastia there are night ferries into Savona on Nov 2, 9, 13, 16, 20, 23, 27 and 30. <BR> <BR>The train trip from Rome to Savona would take some 6 hours. There's a direct train leaving Rome on 1:04pm, arriving at 7pm. The ferry is listed to depart at 11pm ... There are a couple of later trains (departing at 2:04pm/3:04pm, arriving at 8:21pm/9:26pm with a change in Genoa). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. I got the ferry info at <BR>http://www.forti.it/tourship/corsica/index.html <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:59 PM
Dori

Paulo, Thanks! I had not considered Savona b/c was thinking it was too far but (DUH!) would make sense to get the days/time in Corsica I wanted. Day 1 is Nov 4 and I was originally wanting to go to Corsica right after Rome on Nov 7 or 8. Well, now that you've mentioned that (thinking aloud here) I could slide Corsica to the end of my trip and perhaps depart Genoa instead of Florence. Aaaaugggh - the possiblities are endless! Has anyone ever gone insane working/reworking an itinerary? <BR> <BR>Anyway, love the overnight idea! Would the train trip be scenic? Looks like tomorrow will be another day of obsessive planning! How will I ever fit work in?! <BR>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO