Reload this Page >

Need help on directions from Waterloo to Islington

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2000, 07:14 AM
Jeanne

I am hoping that one of our London residents can help me. I will be coming from Paris to London on the Eurostar for a business conference. I will be staying with friends in Islington: <BR> <BR>Canonbury Square, <BR>London N1 2AL <BR> <BR>I will have minimal luggage so I am assuming that the Tube is best way to go. Can someone help me with directions-I having been able to find anything as specific as mapquest but given what I have identified it looks like the stop might be King's Cross? <BR> <BR>Also, my conference is at the Royal Lancaster, Lancaster Terrace. So I could also use help on tube directions from Islington to there. <BR> <BR>Thanks a bunch-I promise to give anyone detailed Metro directions when they need them <BR> <BR>Jeanne

Old May 1st, 2000, 08:14 AM
Tracy

Hi Jeanne -- <BR> <BR>Tube would be best, you're right. I really like streetmap.co.uk: <BR> <BR>http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...184426&arrow=Y <BR> <BR>You can see that Highbury & Islington would be your friends' local Tube stop. From Waterloo International, jump on the Northern Line (any northbound train), then change to the Victoria Line at Warren Street (the transfer is less hateful than at Euston, which also intersects with the Victoria Line). The Tube will be much cheaper than a black cab! <BR> <BR>Best wishes with your conference . . . you might also check one of my old articles for further info about Eurostar: <BR> <BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/ccinfo/798eurostar.htm <BR> <BR>HTH! Have fun!!

Old May 1st, 2000, 08:42 AM
jeanne

Thanks so much for the info-I will go check it out now. One last question-since I will be in London 4-5 days, does the tube have packets of tickets or a weekly pass or anyting that is worth picking up? <BR> <BR>Jeanne

Old May 1st, 2000, 10:08 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 44 covers your train, and the January edition gave some fares. The second class single basic fare from Paris to Vence is 105 US dollars, so Florence will be similar. First is half as much agsain, so will be about 160 dollars. Just now the train has traditional sleepers, with 2-berth type T2 compartments for two at a 70 dollar supplement to second class ticket (total 175 dollars per person), and skightly larger first class 2-berth sleepers at a 100 dollar supplement to first class ticket (total 260 dollars). The only diffrence is in size: the T2 conmpartments are slighly less high than the first class 2-berth cmpartments -- but you can still sit, stand and move in comfort. As soon as the operating company can get their new rolling stock out of the test stage they will move the train to a system called "global booking", but nobody in London knows yet whether the resulting fares will be above or below present prices. I certainly hope you need pay nothing like 324 dollars each. <BR> <BR>If you'll tell me the date when you're to travel I'll see if anybody here yet knows what you'll pay. Sorry for the confusion: the new sleepers are behind schedule. <BR> <BR>With the e-mail copy of this I am sending you a note I have on disc on sleepers in Europe. But I'm afraid it gives no cover to the new sleepers, since they don't yet run. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR> NIGHT TRAINS IN EUROPE <BR> <BR>In December 1998 I wrote a note to an enquirer, and people new to <BR>night rail travel in Europe may like to have my notes. <BR> <BR>I travel by at least three night trains in west Europe each year, and <BR>on a dozen or so in central Europe. <BR> <BR>The printed book, the Thomas Cook European Timetable, has times and <BR>routes of trains and is worth the money, especially if bought in Europe at <BR>14 to 20 US dollars, not in North America at 33 dollars. <BR> <BR>With the book <BR>at home, you can plan out your whole trip. But you need not stick to the <BR>plan, as except in August and at Christmas and Easter you can book most <BR>berths three days ahead, and most seats on the day of travel. So you can <BR>travel fancy free, staying as long as you choose in each place, or even <BR>getting off a train because you like the look of a mountain that you see <BR>through the window. You have to hand the full picture of all the fast and <BR>express trains of Europe, not just the selection that you choose to print <BR>out from a web site. Thus you are free to change your plans at any point, <BR>or if the train is late (which s unlikely) to re-plan that part of your journey <BR>and perhaps leave at an earlier station.Even if you stick to planned travel, <BR>the book tells you whether you are late, and if your train is very late you <BR>can re-cast your journey to suit your needs. It is in major public reference <BR>libraries. <BR> <BR>You can reserve seats and berths using a credit card in any station <BR>with a computer link to European bookings (which means any large or <BR>largeish station) in Britain, France, Benelux, Germany, Switzerland or <BR>Austria. I expect there are many other countries of western Europe <BR>where this is true. Across western Europe all national reservation <BR>systems are linked to all others, so you can book a little ahead if <BR>you like. But in winter (other than at Christmas) you need to book <BR>only on trains where it's <BR>compulsory, for night berths, and for travel on Friday afternoons -- <BR>and even in these cases a day ahead is enough. <BR> <BR>The same tendency to find space everywhere is true in autumn, winter and <BR>spring in central <BR>Europe, except that internal night berths can get a full in Bulgaria, <BR>Romania, between the Czech Republic and Slovakia, and in Poland. And <BR>of those national booking systems only the Czech and Polish are linked with <BR>western Europe. It's no big deal: you simply make a point of booking <BR>your next train onwards at the time that you arrive at a station. The <BR>booking staff are helpful, but tend to have no English, so you need to <BR>write on a bit of paper some such message as "15.II.1999. Galati 2018 <BR>-Timisoara. Train 772/3. 2 Klasse." And add the international <BR>rail icon for, shall we say, a couchette (you'll learn this icon fast: <BR>it's widespread). <BR> <BR>Booking staff don't take credit cards in Bulgaria, Romania, Macedonia, <BR>Yugoslavia, nor Slovakia. I think they don't in Croatia, Slovenia, <BR>Hungary, the Czech Republic and Poland, but those countries move ahead <BR>with such astonishing speed that perhaps they do now. No matter: in <BR>all those countries Automatic Teller Machines (bank cash machines) <BR>give money against Visa or MasterCard or both, so long as you have a <BR>four-digit PIN code. The exchange rate is good, but you do pay two <BR>percent. <BR> <BR>As I say, for night travel in Europe around Easter and <BR>Christmas, and in high summer, you should <BR>reserve two weeks ahead -- though you may get away with just one week. <BR>The computer opens bookings two months before travel, but hardly <BR>anybody books all that time ahead. The reason is that once you've <BR>booked you can use your basic ticket price for any train on the route, <BR>but must pay the supplement for sleeper or couchette all over again if <BR>you change your plans. <BR> <BR>A couchette is a compartment or cabin which by day looks like any <BR>other second class compartment. But hidden in the headboard and seat are <BR>beds, and the car conductor turns the compartment into a cabin with three <BR>beds either side, one above the other, so six beds in all. Each cabin has <BR>a small ladder for people to reach to top berths. There are the usual <BR>toilets (in American English bathrooms) at the ends of the corridor, and <BR>also smaller cubicles for washing (sometimes with cold water and no hot). <BR>Men and women share, so you cannot change into pyjamas. <BR> <BR>The conductor offers coffee, drinks, peanuts and biscuits, but none or <BR>these are good value, and the coffee is usually instant. He or she also <BR>offers bottled water, and if you have none with you you might buy <BR>some – again, it's expensive.You control the heating and lighting in <BR>your compartment. If there's a bright central light on you can switch <BR>it off, and use the little bedhead light. <BR>Whereas modern French couchettes have blinds on the window side <BR>and on the corridor side, many other couchettes have curtains, not <BR>blinds, so some people feel bothered at station platforms in the middle of <BR>the night, as station lamplight pours into the train.. If there is no <BR>curtain you should ask the conductor for another compartment: <BR>I have never experienced this. <BR> <BR>The conductor gives each passenger a sleeping bag, a blanket, and a <BR>pillow, a rather solid foam filled vinyl covered affair that goes into the <BR>sleeping bag. If you receive no pillow , you'll find one on the floor <BR>under one of the bottom bunks. .You can <BR>often beg a further blanket if you like <BR>to sleep specially warm. If some people rise before others you can easily <BR>fold away one middle berth, and this get three or narrowly four seats. For <BR>this reason your deepest sleepers should be up in the top two berths, and <BR>your lightest in a lower and a middle berth one above the other. <BR> <BR>You can pay fares and supplements for six bunks and occupy just four, <BR>on anybody's couchette. But on a German couchette carriage you can <BR>often find a <BR>couple of compartments offered for four bunks. In these cases, the <BR>supplement rises from 18 dollars a bunk to 23 dollars each, still <BR>second class. I'm afraid I know of no couchettes with bigger than <BR>standard bunks: the 4-bunk ones I know are just cabins in which two <BR>bunks have been folded away. These German 4-berth compatnents apart, <BR>a couchette supplement is 18 US dollars normally, and 27 dollars on a <BR>selected night train, a EuroNight. <BR> <BR>The French have first class, 4-berth, couchettes, but I've not used them. <BR> <BR>It is wise to choose the top bunk in a couchette compartment, <BR>if you can. You are farther away from the sounds of other passengers <BR>and noise coming up from the bogies and track, you have <BR>more headroom, and you are next to the controls that work the <BR>heating and air conditioning. If you open the window, the noise <BR>is bad, and the draught even worse. <BR>It is true that you have to climb all the way down from the top <BR>bunk if you want to go the loo (john) in the night (and back <BR>afterwards). There is an aluminium ladder for the purpose. <BR> <BR>Two people together like to be at the same level, so <BR>that they can talk a little -- but not after you put the lights out. <BR>If you don't get the right level bunks no worry: people are nearly <BR>always ready to swap if you ask pleasantly and before they settle. <BR> <BR>Now that I am richer than I was when young, I seldom use couchettes, <BR>and use instead 3-bertn second class sleeping compartments. The <BR>advantage for me as a bachelor is that they book single travellers by <BR>sex, so we are all men, and can with decency change into pyjamas to <BR>sleep. Also, they have a wash basin (with hot and cold taps) for each <BR>three people, making it <BR>easier to brush my teeth before bed and to wash before disembarkation <BR>(they also lend a small towel and give a smidgeon of soap). <BR>But they do cost more. A couchette in a 6-berth cabin costs an 18 <BR>dollar supplement: a bed in a 3-bed sleeper costs a 45 dollar <BR>supplement. You can both lock and bolt the door of a sleeper, and you <BR>should ask your conductor to show your party how to do so. Both <BR>sleeper and couchettes cars are usually at ends of trains, and conductors <BR>lock them off both from the rest of the train and from the platform, <BR>except when admitting new passengers. This being so, I see no point in <BR>taking a cablelock to lock your bag to the luggage rack. <BR> <BR>The conductor <BR>does not wake you during the night. You hand over your rail tickets <BR>and passports as you board or ten minutes later, and 30 minutes before <BR>final arrival conductors wake you to hand them back. This is of course <BR>no cause for concern: what would it benefit a rail officer to fail to <BR>return your passport ? Even for <BR>countries where in principle there are customs checks -- Switzerland <BR>is not in the European Union -- the task of passing passport and <BR>customs checks lies with the sleeping car conductor, acting on your <BR>behalf. This has been so for thirty years or more. In central <BR>Europe, I'm afraid, they wake you at each frontier, but you stay in <BR>bed, and hardly need to wake up fully. Then at the frontiers of <BR>Turkey... But there, I have drawn a limit, and I have notes on <BR>Turkish night travel on another file, which I can e-mail you if you ask. <BR> <BR>There's a question of what to do in the evening of the last day in a <BR>city, before boarding a sleeper or couchette at ten at night. Frail <BR>people might see whether they can hold onto just one bedroom for <BR>an extra night, and use it as sitting room for the last afternoon and <BR>evening in each city. A room of your own is a great comfort, even if <BR>(as I hope) you find for your last evening a concert, opera, <BR>restaurant, or film show, or a combination of these. <BR> <BR>Backpacks or rucksacks are a pest on trains and in storage lockers, as all <BR>luggage spaces are rectangular. A wheeled suitcase is a good idea, and I've <BR>used them for the last ten years or more. I like the kind that zips rather <BR>than buckles, as it keeps its shape and is easy to open. The case I used <BR>for my trip from Karachi to London by rail measures <BR>28 inches by 19 inches by 8.5 inches. I am stout and 62: for me it was <BR>fine for half a mile or so: after that it became tedious. It was much <BR>better without books in it than with, and from time to time I spent about <BR>10 dollars to send back home those guide books and other books <BR>that I would no longer need. <BR> <BR> <BR>If your night <BR>train train stops to pick up passengers only a couple of minutes, you <BR>should arrive on the platform ten minutes early, hold your bed <BR>reservation tickets in your hand, and ask station staff or fellow <BR>passengers to show you where your sleeping car is going to draw up. <BR>They may show you a useful board with a plan of each night <BR>train that shows youy wherte your berths will be. <BR>It's no problem: your conductor will be looking out for you. Still, <BR>you don't want to walk the length of the train, with luggage. <BR> <BR>Sleepers have room enough for luggage for three people, but not to <BR>open and use luggage for three people. So on your last mornings you <BR>should take a plastic carrier bag and put in it your pyjamas, toilet <BR>gear, perhaps a change of shirt, bedtime reading, rail tickets for <BR>that night only, passport, and a couple of banknotes for the city <BR>you'll arrive in next morning, and any note you need on where your <BR>next hotel is. Then you put the carrier bags on top of your packed <BR>luggage, and get it out loose that evening, not in the train, but on <BR>the platform two minutes before you board the train. Your conductor <BR>and you will be glad to get the bags put away in your cabin on shelves <BR>and under beds, leaving you to scrabble ad lib in your carrier bag. <BR> <BR>Since the point of sleeping cars is to sleep, you won't want to use <BR>any buffet or restaurant car early on an arrival morning. But it <BR>makes sense to sup on any train that leaves before eight p.m. The <BR>classic routine (as in the great movies) is to book and then dine in <BR>the restaurant car. But these days such cars are rather few (and <BR>those between Paris and Italy give poor value). Quite often, on the <BR>afternoon of your last day in a city you should go to a supermarket <BR>and buy up cold meats, pate, cheese, butter, fresh bread, tomatoes, <BR>olives, other salad to taste, fruit, and wine: a red and a white. <BR>Your hotel may even let you keep these <BR>goodies in their fridge till you leave for the station. Also, paper <BR>cups a newspaper to serve as tablecloth. And the day before that you <BR>should buy table knives and a corkscrew that works well for you, <BR>or bring them from your home country. You draw the first cork ten <BR>minutes after departure and wipe the last fruit juice from your lips <BR>an hour later. And so to bed. You won't need a sleeping pill <BR>after that lot. <BR> <BR>Most sleeping cars have roller blinds that draw down and seal out all <BR>outside light. If there are curtains too, you should check that the <BR>roller blind is down before you go to bed. Curtains alone are not <BR>enough: your train stops at night at platforms with bright lights that <BR>pour into the train. If you can't get your compartment properly <BR>dark you should ask your conductor to move you. <BR>Again, most have a small blue light: you should <BR>decide by agreement whether it's useful for getting up to go to the <BR>loo at midnight, or better switched off to get a deep night's sleep. <BR>One solution is to have a hand torch by your pillow, so that you can <BR>sleep in pitch dark and can still go to the loo. <BR> <BR>You should say clearly and firmly to your conductor that you want to <BR>sleep as long as possible, and that you want no morning coffee -- it's <BR>not good on trains anyway, except in France, Belgium and Bulgaria. If <BR>there's a language problem, you can do all this through a friendly <BR>fellow-traveller. Your conductor will tell you things abbout his duty <BR>to wake you: you look sad, and imply if you can that this won't be <BR>good for his or her tip. (A standard tip to a sleeper conductor is <BR>5 US dollars: one no longer tips couchettre conductors, <BR>except for special services). Trains don't run early, so you should know <BR>your arrival time, and get out of bed only 30 minutes before that. <BR>Even if you're all awake your body travels more restfully in bed than <BR>sitting up. <BR> <BR>Some night cars are transferred during the night from one train to another, <BR>and are left on a side line for up to an hour, to make the connmection. <BR>An example is the Ostend to Berlin couchette. There is no call for worry. <BR>Indeed, if you travel with the Thomas Cook timetable you will know in <BR>advance when this silence is going to happen. <BR> <BR>You lock and chain your door at night. Nobody wakes you, even <BR>at frontiers, as the conductor has your tickets and your passports. <BR>He or she tends to wake you rather too early to serve coffee and <BR>return tickets and passports, but you want to sleep as long as possible. <BR>If you do wake early and cannot sleep again you can always order a poor <BR>coffee in the morning. On short or shortish nights you can get in a little <BR>extra sleep by boarding the train at a terminus thirty minutes early, and going to bed. <BR>All concerned need to agree that if they want to chat they will walk <BR>through to an empty compartment in the nearest day car, and talk there. <BR> <BR>You need not tolerate people who stand in the corridor and chat, <BR>or who smoke in the corridor just outside your door, but can <BR>politely ask them to move down the car. If they do not, you <BR>can ask the conductor to ask them. I have rarely needed to do either. <BR>One contributor to a discussion group was bothered by a crying baby, <BR>and I admit I've no solution for that. On the other hand, it must be rare: <BR>I've never been next to one. <BR> <BR>On arrival you leave the train, but in no great hurry if it runs no <BR>further. You do anything that you want to do in the arrival station <BR>-- get a luggage trolley, exchange money, have a coffee, buy an <BR>English language paper and the local newspaper or city events list <BR>(such as "Pariscope" or "Berlin Tips"), ask the tourist information <BR>office for advice on local transport and for an events list, and if <BR>need be to book your hostel or hotel. There there are always a <BR>handful of armchairs and sometimes a lounge, so you can sit still and <BR>let the morning develop around you, not rush out to the first event. <BR>I often find that my room is in fact ready already at nine in the <BR>morning, at no extra cost, and catch up on any sleep. <BR> <BR>On the other hand, many city tourist offices run a two hour walking <BR>tour of the city centre starting at ten am, and this is a good way to <BR>see fine buildings and get an idea of the shape of the place (Last <BR>year in Augsburg we were a walking group of eight, and asked so many <BR>questions that our 2 hour 5 dollar tour turned into 3 hours, to the <BR>mutual delight of our lecturer and ourselves, and we all had a great <BR>appetite for lunch). <BR> <BR>Two guide books to Europe are designed for rail travellers. <BR>One is "Europe by Train", edited by Katie Wood and George McDonald, <BR>published by Fontana, an imprint of Harper Collins Publishers. <BR>The other is "On the Rails around Europe", edited by Melissa Shales, <BR>published by Thomas Cook at 15 pounds in Britain, 19 pounds <BR>outside Europe. Both naturally concentrate upon large cities. <BR>Both start with useful general chapters on rail travel. <BR> <BR>There's a briefer note, on sleepers and couchettes, on http://www.eurorail.com/sleepers.htm. <BR> <BR>I have a note on night trains in the Balkans and in Turkey in Asia, and <BR>on the journey from Athens to Istanbul by land. Please tell me <BR>if you'd like this by e-mail, or if you have another query. <BR> <BR>

Old May 2nd, 2000, 12:33 AM
George Holt

Jeanne <BR> <BR>I posted a synopsis of the latest underground fares in a thread entitled 'London Underground' on 28th January. Its not exceptionally clear as the forum deleted all the extra spaces I included for formatting but you should be able to make sense of it.