Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

need help in deciding to live in Germany for 30 months

Jul 18th, 1999, 03:53 AM
irene spotswood

Is there any americans living in Germany presently or in the recent past that can tell me if they enjoyed or not enjoyed their experience there. My husband is considering taking a position near Frankfurt for 30 months. We both have traveled to Europe 4 times the last 3yrs and have enjoyed the experience tremendously. We spent a very short time in Germany as tourists,found it a pleasant experience, however I do wonder about living there. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Irene

Jul 18th, 1999, 07:20 AM
nickie

Irene, I lived there for fourteen years, and I would not trade those years. However, it has been twenty years since that time. I did recently visit though, and it does not seem to have changed much. I would do it again if I had the opportunity. Naturally it depends on what is important to you. It seems to be a much slower life style there.
There's not much in the way of tv, and if you are used to being able to get anything in the world at any time it's inconvenient, since the shops pretty well close down on the weekends. However, if you like living in a quieter era, this is wonderful. There are so many things to see. We learned what a delightful sense of humor the Germans have, and most people were friendly. It does help if you can speak the language a little - not because you need to (English is spoken by most), but they appreciate you taking an effort. They tend to dress up more than many Americans, so if you like to shop in shorts, you will probably be a little uncomfortable. Don't know if this helps or not - just a few thoughts.

Jul 18th, 1999, 07:32 AM
Suzann

Irene,
By all means, go. I've had the good fortune to live in both Paris and in Germany, and both experiences still influence me today. As Nicki points out above, you will lose some of the conveniences of American life. However, you will gain a new appreciation for life. Your priorities may change, too, like is food better when it's good or when it's fast? You'll find more people walking on the streets, and so connecting to one another. You'll find people who greet one another -- strangers even -- on the street or in the shops. You'll find a slower pace of life. You'll find a Sunday tradition of walking in the woods. I hope you'll find yourself there!!

Suzann

Jul 18th, 1999, 07:33 AM
Suzann

Irene,
By all means, go. I've had the good fortune to live in both Paris and in Germany, and both experiences still influence me today. As Nicki points out above, you will lose some of the conveniences of American life. However, you will gain a new appreciation for life. Your priorities may change, too, like is food better when it's good or when it's fast? You'll find more people walking on the streets, and so connecting to one another. You'll find people who greet one another -- strangers even -- on the street or in the shops. You'll find a slower pace of life. You'll find a Sunday tradition of walking in the woods. You'll find a whole new meaning of community/neighborhood life. I hope you'll find yourself there!!

Suzann

Jul 18th, 1999, 07:33 AM
Miriam

Hi Irene,
although IŽm not American I think I can give you some information. I was born near Frankfurt and still live and work here. Frankfurt is a big city with a lot of big companies having their European Headquarter here. From the media you wonŽt get a very positive impression of the city. We have the same problems that every big city has with drugs, crime etc. But on the other hand we have beautiful places, museums, very good shopping possibilities, International schools and Kindergartens, English cinemas and everthing else youŽll need as a foreigner abroad. And the best thing is Frankfurts location. You donŽt have to live in the city, within 10 minutes you are in the Taunus, which is very beautiful, nothing will remind you that you live near a big city! There are many other peaceful places to live around Frankfurt within a short ride. And it is, in my opinion, the best place to explore Europe. The Frankfurt Airport is the most important hub in Europe. And if you go by car or train,Amsterdam is 4 hours, Munich is 3 hours, Brussels is 4 hours and Paris 6 hours away! You can do and see a lot in the weekends. I would really recommend to take the opportunity. You will get to know a lot of people, I wouldnŽt care about the language, all people I know love to speak English and gladly take the opportunity to improve their sometimes rusty knowledge from school.
You are very wellcome!

Kind regards

Miriam

Jul 18th, 1999, 12:46 PM
irene

thanks again to Nicki, Suzann, Miriam for your quick replys and for all the information. It's looking more and more like we will be going. If anyone knows of any other small villages close to Frankfurt to live or what neighborhoods in Frankfurt would be recommended. Please let me know. Either a single family home or large apt would be fine in a nice district, with easy access to the local activites, such as stores, markets, culture life of the area.

Jul 18th, 1999, 01:34 PM
miriam

Hi Irene,
I donŽt know how much you can spend for renting a house or appartment. The Taunus area which I recommended earlier is pretty expensive. Wiesbaden is very nice but expensive as well. I live 40 km north of Frankfurt in a very nice city called Gelnhausen. In those areas you get affordable houses and at the same time you have everything you need plus a very quiet and green environment.
But, if your husbands company will pay for your living I would choose Bad Homburg, Kronberg, Koenigsstein or Wiesbaden. A lot of companies do locate their expatriates there. If I can get you any further information IŽll be glad to help you.

Miriam