Need help for 7th & 6th arr. itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all about timing. I have a day set aside to start at the Eiffel Tower and walk over to the 6th. Wander and walk. On another day I have for the Musees d'Orsay and Rodin. Can I do all this in one day? Reason I'm asking is that there is one or 2 places I have omitted and really want time to get to. But not to rush. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Yes, you can. At some point, though, you have to make sure you aren't visiting sites based on a check-off -the-list style mentality but are actually enjoying time, wherever it is you are at the moment. Stay flexible, re-assess as the day goes along and be willing to change plans if warranted. This is easier to do of you start with the most important things first and work you way down as able.

I would suggest making a list, in order of priority, of what you "must" see vs. "want" to see first, and then locate the locations on a map. See what is in close proximity so that you don't lose time criss-crossing across the city multiple times a day. Use the metro as needed for speedy transport as long as you don't pick rush hour times to take it--then it is not as enjoyable. It's part of the experience, as is just sitting in a park or at a café and soaking up the atmosphere.

Be sure to verify the museums are open the day of the week you are planning to visit....well, Duh! (but been-there-done-that with the Louvre, ashamed to admit)

I generally try to combine some walking and some museum into each day, rather than killing myself walking one day and getting "museumed-out" another day.

As someone who has both moved on from a pleasureable experience that wasn't finished yet in order to "keep to a time-table" and who also has "changed plans in mid-stream" to totally embrace one experience before starting a new one...both my husband and I agree, we have done better finishing what was really pleasing than going on to something that ends up being not near as interesting/enjoyable as imagined further along.

You're in control of how much rushing you will do. Prior planning like this helps immensely, Have fun, no matter what.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:05 PM

I have on many occasions done all that in one day, plus a stop at Les Invalides, ended up somewhere in the St-Germain area for dinner (around the rue Buci) and walked back. But I walk faster than just about anyone I know. And because I've seen the sights many times before, I don't tend to linger too long in the museums.

So yes, I think it's a good plan and if you're planning to spend an hour or two in the museums it will work well.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:55 PM

You can visit the Musee Rodin on your walk from the Eiffel Tower to the 6th arr. From the garden you can see the golden dome of the Hotel des Invalides - also worth a visit if you are interested & have the time!

Paris is the perfect place just to wander! Enjoy!

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Brilliant! Thank you so much. I plan to be at the ET at about 8:30 am and walk towards the Rodin, Orsay and over to the 6th- Luxembourg Gardens, wandering. The day I gain will be to get a visit to Giverny and anything else back in Paris we like. Invalides looks great from the street, but I don't care for the "war museum." This will be on a Sat. as the other day is Monday and at least one of the museums are closed.