Search

Need help for 1st family vacation to Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2020, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help for 1st family vacation to Scotland

Hi,
My hubby and I as well as our three kids (ages 6, 9 and 11) are planning a 2 weeks vacation to Scotland in July. Our 1st time. We are going to rent a car for sightseeing. Places that I was thinking of visiting, in no particular order, are:
- Glasgow
- Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Oban, isle of Mull
- Glennfinnan viaduct, Eilean Donan Castle
- isle of Skye, loch Ness, Urquart Castle, Inverness
- Srirling Castle
- Edinburgh
I would also be interested in seeing Orkney Islands. However, I am not sure in terms of time. Would that be make the schedule too hectic to include Orkney Islands as we have 13 days in Scotland, without counting the travel to or from Scotland? Thanks!
Also, any other input or tips in terms of Scotland, what to see, where to stay or eat, would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 08:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You really don't have time for you short list, never mind Orkney. I'm out tonight but I'll post more later tonight. Maybe give up the idea of Skye - it is lovely but eats up a MINIMUM of four days one day to get there, two days on Skye, and one day to get my where else. Ans two days is NOTHING for Skye since it is a very large island with VERY slow roads
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 08:03 PM

Stupid site won't let me edit - sorry for be typos. I'll fix it when I get home
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 09:20 PM

My post should have said:

You really don't have time for you short list, never mind Orkney. I'm out tonight but I'll post more later tonight. Maybe give up the idea of Skye - it is lovely but eats up a MINIMUM of four days, one day to get there, two days on Skye, and one day to get anywhere else. And two days is NOTHING for Skye since it is a very large island with VERY slow roads
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 11:02 PM

OK - with just 13 days (assuming you are arriving on Day 1 and will be jet lagged - so probably 12 actual usable days) . . . That is not enough time for
>>- Glasgow
- Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Oban, isle of Mull
- Glennfinnan viaduct, Eilean Donan Castle
- isle of Skye, loch Ness, Urquart Castle, Inverness
- Srirling Castle
- Edinburgh<<

One (just one of lots of options) reasonable allocation of 13 days would be something like 3 days in Edinburgh (one day for jet lag recovery), 2 full days for Stirling Castle and nearby sites like Doune Castle, Inchmahome Priory, Loch Lomond, etc., 1 day for Glencoe and Glen Etive, 2 or 3 days on Mull, 1 day for Kilmartin & Inveraray, and 2 days in Glasgow. . . . that gives you one day to 'play with to add to one of the above or squeeze in one other stop.

That leaves no time for Loch Ness (not much as lochs go), Inverness (really just a city), Skye or anything else.

OR you could fly into Inverness and concentrate on the west side with 2 days (one to recover from jetlag) near Inverness, 3 days on Skye, 1 or 2 days for Glencoe/Glen Etive, 2 days for Stirling / Loch Lomond/ the Trossachs - leaving 4 days to divide between Edinburgh and Glasgow. But that would be pretty rushed.