Need help figuring out which is best GPS for Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've read through the threads on GPS. Given that the technology and offerings seem to change so fast (and the prices), we hoped people might share thoughts on the best GPS to purchase right now. We would be using it in the US and in Italy primarily. Any advice on the most cost-effective and portable GPS for use in the US and Italy would be great. Thanks for any help!
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Define "best."

If you want cost-effective, I don't think there's any better way than to buy a PDA and download free city maps from microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/pocketstreets/mapdownload/psmapsearch.aspx.

If you need cross-country maps, then acquire a copy of microsoft.com/autoroute and either run it on a laptop in the car, or download custom routes to the PDA.

Total outlay: less than $300.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM

<<< Need help figuring out which is best GPS for Italy >>>

Has maps of Italy
Can be removed and hidden (including mount)
Can be plugged into a car cigarette socket for power
and / or Uses AA or AAA batteries so that you can get spare batteries
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Good luck...just don;t get into any pissing contests over the terms "best" "portable" etc.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Do thou likewise.
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM

This isn't helpful currently, however we purchased a Tom Tom and will be using it in late May for our trip to Italy.

If you aren't going in the next two weeks I can let you know how it worked for us when we get back.
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

In our case, "best" was meant to refer to comprehensive maps for US and Italy (to get us point to point - we don't care so much about POIs). A unit that will speak directions out loud would be helpful so that we don't have to look down at maps while driving. We won't have a laptop with us, so a freestanding unit that can be taken out of the car and carried with would be ideal. Bells and whistles are not important for us -- just basic functionality to get us from one address to another in Italy or the US. Thoughts?
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM

My thoughts:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/softwa...etstreets4.gif
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:58 PM

We are the same as Jodeenyc-we purchased Tom Tom and an Italy map-we have been practing with it and it is handy to have a voice tell you exactly when and where to turn so we are going for the gusto and renting a car from Venice to Tuscany and dropping it in Rome. We leave in a little over a week, can tell you how valuable it was then!!!! =)
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:01 PM

sorry about the typo that should be PRACTICING!!!
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Bookmarking.

Old May 16th, 2007, 09:21 PM

Hello WinterTravel

We've used our Garmin GPS successfully in Europe and Canada, as well as here in Australia. When you buy the unit, you also need to purchase CDs with the map details for continents you wish to visit, then load these from your computer onto the GPS.

My advice would be to make sure that you have plenty of practice in your home area before you venture forth; like any new computer programme, you need to get used to how it operates, adjust settings etc.

We have ours set to a very gentle female voice (who never shouts when you take a wrong turn - just calmly announces 're-routing'), and it's completely portable, so we can use it when walking, as well as in any vehicle that has a cigarette lighter outlet to connect the GPS to the power.

We also log in our temporary 'home' address wherever we are, so that at the end of a long day out, we can just click on 'home' address, and she takes us back by the shortest/quickest route.

I (navigator) still like to have a map on my lap, to be able to see that we are headded in the right direction, and to see which direction we are actually travelling in, as with a GPS you are always headding 'up' the screen, giving the impression that you are travelling north at all times!

A GPS is like many gadgets - probably not essential, but once you use one, you wouldn't want to be without it.

Happy travels, Di
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM

I have a PDA (Windows Mobile OS, Samsung SC32442 300 MHz processor) with built-in GPS device but only with US maps.

I am interested in running pocket streets on the device. I have several questions for Robespierre:

(1) Does pocket streets provide voice prompt? My device does not have pre-installed pocket streets. Do you happen know that Pocket Streets can be installed on my device?
(2) You said in another thread, that it's possible to create a route on Autoroute and download it to PDA. Can you confirm? Which application on PDA can show and update the downloaded map?

Thank you.

Old May 17th, 2007, 09:34 AM

1) No voice prompts. You can test Pocket Streets on your device by downloading an obsolete version from tinyurl.com/yo28fa

2) Yes, both Streets & Trips and AutoRoute provide for making custom maps that can be downloaded to Pocket Streets. But be aware that PS was discontinued this year, so you'll have to get an older version of S&T or AR.
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:10 PM

I'll take a shot. I have a Garmin Nuvi 370. I got it because it comes with NA and Europe pre-loaded. I also like the small size. I have yet to travel in Europe with it (1 week til departure!) but I can tell you that it is a very impressive unit.

I suppose the big questions that have to be answered about a GPS are:

How long will it hold a charge?
How easy and clear is the user interface?
How good is the gps antenna (I think this is one of the most important considerations.)
Expense? (The 370 is expensive)
How good are the map sets?
How much expandability does it have? (Garmin 370 has around 1.7 gigs internal and accepts sd cards.)

Good luck.
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM

We have used both TomTom and Garmin Nuvi. Although there are a few things TomTom does better (such as advance route planning), I would give the edge to Garmin because it speaks the street names when giving directions. TomTom just says "Turn right"; Garmin says "Turn right on Via Veneto." (Even if the Italian pronunciation is often mangled.)

The Nuvi 370 is not cheap but does come with both US and Europe maps.
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Would definately recommend the Garmin Nuvi- Get the model that best fits your budget and size. Some come preloaded with Europe maps, some are extra
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Robespierre, thanks for the free trial link. I tried it on my device and it works (though this version does not have gps function). I will search ebay for an upgraded version like 2005 or so.

Regards.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the advice -- very, very helpful!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:29 PM

We just purchased a TomTom GO 910 because of our recent trip to Italy and also to use it in the States as well.

The reason I went with the TomTom 910 is that it has Europe and USA built in (no extra cost) it has a 12GB Hard Drive and can act as our MP3 Player for our entire trip and for travel and every day use in the USA. We paid $399 and have seen it for less on sale since...

It worked great for half the trip. Unfortunately it died during one day in Montalcino - wouldn't turn on anymore. I thought it was dead and couldn't figure out how to reset it (turns out it is a little hidden button on the back)...We were in a primative tuscan farm house with no phone or internet so I couldn't look online to find a solution. We got lost a few times without it after that but survived - sure do wish we had it for the whole trip though as we visited Piemonte and that was an entirely new are for us!

When we got home it was fixed in 10 minutes after I found the reset.

We have now used it on other trips and just got back from a weekend in Portland where we used it to get us around and play music for us the whole time. TomTom has a nice FM windshield mount that allows the MP3 and voice commands to play through a car radio

If you get any GPS - make sure you use it more than 1 day (unlike me) before you travel so you can work out any kinks and get used to it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -