Need Great Restaurants in Brighton

Jul 11th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Ellen

Need Great Restaurants in Brighton

My husband and I are going for a few days to Brighton, and would like to have our dinners in some very good restaurants. Price isn't a consideration and we would ideally like to steer away from noisy tourist-y places.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We are leaving in just a few days....

Jul 11th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Ellen

Jul 12th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Tracy

Hi Ellen - hope these are useful for you:

http://www.timeout.com/london/esinf/brighton.html

http://www.thisisbrighton.co.uk/brig...out/index.html

It's really neccessary to reserve a table at the top Brighton spots, not just on Friday and Saturday nights.

HTH and have fun!

Jul 12th, 2001, 06:45 AM
s.fowler

The current issue of Travel & Leisure has an article on Brighton -- apparently it's getting very chic etc. I'm sure there are restaurant recommendations there also.

Jul 12th, 2001, 07:11 AM
AnnaC

Sadly, my knowledge of Brighton restaurants is a little out of date - it's 9 years since I lived there as a student, so I can't help you as much as I would have been able to a few years ago.

I do still have one suggestion though - Muang Thai. It's a nice little Thai restaurant (had my first ever Thai meal there, and celebrated my university graduation there). It's up St James Street, just by where it crosses Upper/Lower Rock Gardens, not too far from the Palace Pier. I ate there again recently, and they're still as good as ever. Never crowded with tourists, but always pleasantly busy with both locals and a few discerning tourists staying in the nearby B&Bs.

For lunch, there used to be a great local burger chain in Brighton and Hove, called Grubbs. I'm pretty sure they're still there, and hopefully they're still as good as they used to be. The best burgers I've had in the UK, both beef and veggie, with a wide range of choices of things to accompany the burger inside the bun. Nicely juicy - don't eat them while wearing any clothes you need to keep clean.

You will definitely be spoilt for choice for restaurants, although most are going to be in the more touristy areas. Have a great time, and say hello to my beloved Brighton from me.

Jul 12th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Sheila

Ellen could I cheat and give you the Good Food Guide and Hardens recommendations? GFG is strictly on the calibre of the food. Hardens tends to be where people enjoyed going

GFG
Black Chapati, Circus Parade
Whytes- Western Street

Hardens has the Black Chapati and the following:-
Al Duomo- Pavilion Building
Ashoka-Church road
Aumthong Thai-Western road
Basketmakers Arms-Gloucester road
Bombay Aloo-Ship Street
Browns-Duke Street
Chilka House-St James Street
China Garden-Preston Street
Cripes-Victoria Road
Donatello-Brighton Place
English's-East St
Food for Friends-Prince Albert St
La Fourchette-Western road
Gars-Prince Albert st
The George-Trafalgar square
Gingerman-Norfolk Square
Havana-Duke St
Kambi-Western road
One Paston Place (same address)(good)
Quentins-Western road(sounds good)
Regency-Kings Road-chippy
Saucy-Church road
Strand-Little East Street
Terre a Terre- East St(best veggie in the UK?)
Trogs-Kings Road (maybe not)
Tsing tao-Preston St

Jul 13th, 2001, 01:00 AM
AnnaC

How could I forget the Black Chapati?! This is indeed an excellent restaurant, and away from the tourist areas. If they still do their Sunday lunch time buffet, I'd recommend that. It used to be all you could eat for a ridiculously low price.

Jul 13th, 2001, 03:22 AM
s.fowler

Okay. Here's the list from T&L.

English's
29-31 East St. - seafood

The Gingerman
21a Norfolk Square - "eclectic"

Saucy British Restaurant
8 Church Rd. - updated British

One Paston Place
haute cuisine - book ahead

Terre a Terre
71 East St. - vegetarian

Mock Turtle Tea Shop
4 Pool Valley

Jul 14th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Ellen

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Our short trip to Brighton was just wonderful, love that ocean and the sea breezes. Just thought I'd share where we went to assist others on their next trip to Brighton.

Lunch on our first day was at Piccolo, good pastas and pizza, and you don't need a reservation. We had dinner at One Paston Place and it was simply wonderful. The food was perfectly prepared, great atmosphere and very professional service. I'd highly recommend it for a special dinner. On our second day, we had lunch in the lovely courtyard at Tootsies. Filled with flowers and with the one of the best burgers in the UK, we had a very long relaxing time and enjoyed this oasis just in the middle of the Lanes. Dinner at Whytes was quite good, with friendly service and a rather causal atmosphere. I'd go back to any of these places again!