Need good walking shoes for Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, please advise on a good pair of walking shoes - comfortable and nice looking - can go either casual or a bit dressy. I hear sneakers are out of the question in Italy. I will only be wearing slacks in Italy (going last week of October 2003). I dont know where to begin looking. My feet are kinda flat too. Mens and womens shoe advice needed! Thanks,
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:30 AM

Here'e just one of the many "shoes" threads. Bottom line: everybody's feet are different, you just have to try different ones to see what feels good to you:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34399631
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Hi:

Last summer I was really happy with some "Camper" (brand) sandals I bought in Milan. I know they carry a variety of styles. They are really comfy and flexible! I still use them!!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Hi:

Last summer I was really happy with some "Camper" (brand) sandals I bought in Milan. I know they carry a variety of styles. They are really comfy and flexible great for uneven surfaces! I still use them!!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:41 AM
dln

I know this question has been asked several times, but it seems that it's women who answer the most. That works out fine for me, as I've used some of the suggestions to get myself properly shoed for Italy next month.

It's my husband I worry about! I wish some men posters would send in their comments. Especially men who love walking like my husband, and preferably have big wide feet like my husband. I couldn't bear to see him in anything too Birkenstock-ish because his feet aren't his glory! We want to minimize the look, if you know what I mean.

Can anyone help?

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:47 AM

The best advice is to wear whatever shoes you buy..before the trip.. to make sure of the fit. Wearing any new shoes for the first time has the potential for problems when you are doing heavy walking.

I took 2 pairs for 10 days. I travelled in a pair of black Mephistos and packed a of brown Eccos. We walked exstensively in Italy.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:28 AM

I haven't read the shoe threads yet but I'm sure they're as entertaining as the thread on shorts.

Nobody has more Italy feet stories than this author, and 20 years of experience to boot (no pun).

Thank you for putting your sneakers away and do plan on shoe shopping while you are in Italy. They really do make the best shoes in the world.

It's not terribly ironic but Venice has some of the best alternative sneaker-style shoe designs that I've ever purchased. Everybody in NYC asks me where I bought my shoes and I love saying, "In Venice." They aren't actually sneakers but they are REMARKABLY comfortable, stylish and casual. They go from casual to dress very easily and feel like slippers.

Many tourists never stay in Venice long enough to discover its many secrets and many of these shoe stores are nowhere near San Marco or the train station. You really have to walk the sestieres and keep your eyes open. Venetians take their shoes very seriously because the locals WALK everywhere.

Venice is also home to Signore Rolando Segalin, who is a master shoe maker. He only makes custom-made shoes and he's considered a superstar in Italy. Not many like him left and a pair of shoes by him can easily set you back over $1000.

For those of you who can't afford him or anything over $100, there's still much to choose. You just have to take some time to shop and try things on. Of course, the best time to try on shoes in Italy is after a long day of walking. Just be sure to carry your favorite pair of appropriate socks with you at all times. You never know when that shoe store will appear.

As for going with comfortable shoes your first visit, my celebrated NY podiatrist is still pushing Rockport. Their styles continue to improve and they're one of the few manufacturers who cater to wider widths. They're also inexpensive. Just make sure any new pair you buy are completely broken in before you go. You DON'T want to break-in a new pair of shoes on centuries old concrete. Always take extra band-aides, gauze, and water-proof tape for blisters. (Farmacias have great blister aides but these items tend to cost close to $20 and you don't get much supply.) Even with broken-in shoes, blisters happen because most non-European feet aren't used to walking on centuries-old, uneven, concrete surfaces, especially for many hours each day. Your feet skin rubs where it never rubbed before. Also, it's highly recommended to switch between two pairs on any given day, especially if you plan to walk alot. Blisters are less likely to form if you change shoes at some point during your day.

Lastly, avoid getting a pedicure up to one month prior to your trip. Polish change, yes...skin scrape, absolutely not! This is the biggest mistake for any visit to Italy. You'll be far better off if your feet skin is just a tad on the rough side than baby soft. Be sure to powder your feet well each time you change socks. Sweaty feet are a disaster waiting to happen.

Of course, if you don't plan on walking much, don't hesitate to pull out your favorite Manolo Blahniks, or in my case, Rolando Segalins.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:52 AM
dln

NYCFoodSnob, thank you so much for the footsie info. People from the midwest truly are the salt of the earth in the generosity department, as you have amply demonstrated with your solid (and welcome) advice. I am tantalized with the idea of buying Italian shoes, but don't hold out much hope for DH. He's a sturdy Englishman with sturdy English feet. There's probably not an off-the-rack shoe that would fit him! I'm sure it will be basic Rockports for him. BTW, I'm glad you mentioned about the pedicure. I would have gotten one on the premise that my feet would be better prepared for all our planned walking, but your take on it actually makes sense. Ditto with the bandaids. Oh, the threads about shoes aren't nearly as amusing as shorts!

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:18 PM

If you want sandals, I swear by my Birkenstocks, great arch support and they now have some stylish ones. They do have "regular" shoes too but either way I've worn them walking all over Europe and love them.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Dear dln,

I know a very famous, 280 pound executive from Bloomingdales with size 11.5, EEE width. He buys all his shoes "off the rack" in Italy and tells no one where he found them. He's a stingy bastard. The secret is to keep your eyes open and when you see that shoe store, stop and take a look and don't tell yourself you'll come back to it. You have to try things on immediately and this takes a little time. I have very difficult feet (thanks Ma) and the time came when I decided I wasn't going to suffer any longer. You really have to know how and when to treat yourself well.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:26 PM
dln

Thanks, NYC. (by the way, I'm a native New Yorker, many years removed, and envy you for living in such a great city!) If your friend can find shoes in Italy, so can DH, and by george, HE WILL!

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:32 PM

good advice from NYC...

having just returned, a store called GEOX has incredibly comfortable shoes, not too pricey (around 100E) and fashionable.

unfortunately, i forgot to bring sandals. i bought some (magli's in venice, 50% off sale) with rubber sole, however i ended up with miserable blisters. while i brought about 12 band aids, i needed about 100. ouch!!!

i, too, bought those fancy italian (actually made by J&J) blister-aids (6 for $8!!!) which helped.

coachboy
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
First, sneakers are not out of the question in Italy. That's just silly. Might be more versatile if they're a dark color (not white).

Take 2-3 pair of shoes each, in case 1 makes blisters or hurts your feet + just to have a change even from day to evening.

Make sure they are well broken in (not just "I wore them a couple times & they're comfortable" - been there - made that mistake!).

Everyone's feet are different, some people swear by Mephisto, I hate them. Ecco, Merrill, Sudini are women's brands I've used successfully.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Who Kal Rutstein? He weights more like 380 lbs.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM

sophie, if you want to wear sneakers go ahead..many people, including Italians wear them.. I was there in June and believe me i saw all kinds of clothings, shorts, capri, halter tops, sandals and yes : a lots of sneakers also...
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 01:24 PM

I forgot to mention that if you are looking for good walking shoes and sandals, buy the SAS shoes...They are great, also they are handmade and fits like gloves....I wear them all the time, even here in the US, I will not trade them for nothing else...
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 02:36 PM

Nice work CoachBoy!

I love GEOX (http://www.geox.com/) and some of their styles really fit wide feet. I saw those Magli's, too.

It's true, those pricey blister-aids are made by Johnson & Johnson and I love them. I have a full stock in one of my medicine cabinets.

Shame on you ThinGorjus. Anyway, it's spelled Ruttenstein.

Of course if you have trouble feet and sneakers are your only answer, wear them. Italians have long gotten used to their American visitor's lack of style.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:05 PM

THE FIRST THING I PACK.....
Dr Scholl's Molefoam padding....make sure it's the "molefoam padding"...2 strips per pack...first hint of tenderness...cut a piece & apply directly to the spot!
Works like magic!!!
NYFood Snob....My head will be swivellin' ....scanning for the shoe stores in Venezia....keep outta my way come November.......!
Ecco's have my vote....can't wear 'em out they last forever!!
Now on to the Geox web-site...........
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:11 PM

Ditto Bailey on the moleskin. It's a life (or at least foot) saver. My daughter got a pair of Geox when we visited last October and loved them.

I brought 2 pair of shoes, a pair of Bass loafers, not the traditional but a nice sturdy, stylish black pair with a thick rubber cushioned sole, and a pair of Clark clogs, which I swear by. But the other hugely important item is a decent pair of socks. Ralph Lauren makes a nice, thin trouser sock that stays put and wicks away the moisture. My feet get really worn out and even after hours walking the streets of Rome, I was still comfortable. But the key, oft-repeated here, break them in!! I had bought a pair of expensive shoes before going, certain they would just what I needed, but after wearing them around my house on and off for a week, I knew they just weren't as comfortable as my $40 outlet-purchased Bass loafers, which I already knew were comfy. So I took them back and was glad I brought the "cheap" shoes instead!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:55 PM

I took four pairs of shoes on last trip to Italy & England. The two I wore the most were a pair of Brighton sandals (made in Italy) and a pair of Tsubo's (made in Spain) Tsubo's are really comfortable and were great in England. They are available at Bloomingdales & Nordstrom to name a few places. We walked A LOT and my feet never hurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -