Reload this Page >

Need Florence hotel (budget minded)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 01:35 PM
Robin K.

<BR>Seeking that "Room with a View" fantasy! Actually, I could use suggestions for an economical place to stay for 2 nights during the latter part of April. I'm be arriving from Rome via train, so proximity to the train station would be a plus. I'd like something clean, convenient, bathroom en suite and in the price range of 140,000 lira (approx. $100 per nite?). Any ideas?

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 11:38 PM
Michael

I was in Florence in November and also arrived by train. We walked out of the train station ( at night) without hotel reservations and without a clue to where to stay. But we were met by someone handing out brochures about a local hotel nearby and gave us directions. Sounded good to us. The hotel is called "Hotel Giada" It is just a few blocks from the train station. Easy walking distance. It is right in the heart of the action. Located near the outdoor market and within just a few minutes walking distance to the Duamo, the Galleria dell Ufizzi, Galleria dell Accademia (which houses the statue of David), Palazzo Vecchio, and many other sites. The hotel is privately owned and operated. Breakfast is also available every morning. In November the rate for a nice room with a private bath was about 100, 000 lire. I highly recommend this hotel for convenience and price. I plan on returning in June and will sdefinitely stay there again. Their address is Canto de Nelli, 2-50123, Florence Italy. Telephone 011-39- <BR>055-215317. Their e-mail is [email protected] or you can check out their website at www.dada.it/hgiada.com <BR> Check it out. Good luck.

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 09:48 AM
julie

Check out: <BR> <BR>http://www.karenbrown.com/ <BR> <BR>or <BR> <BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/home.htm

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 11:33 AM
Joanne

You might already know this, but "A Room With A View" was filmed at the Hotel Loggiata dei Serviti in Florence. We're booked there for end of March and I can let you know how it is, although the price is higher. Our suite for 5 is 600,000 lire. We've also been to Morandi alla Crocetti and loved it, but I think it is also more. <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 12:48 AM
Carol

We stayed at Hotel Marios in Florence. Fine location, decent breakfast, quiet, clean. Florence can be loud with all of the motorbikes. Marios may be a bit more than your targetted price, but is worth checking out. Phone no. is 055-21-68-01 <BR> <BR>Chiao <BR> <BR>Carol <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 11:07 AM
David

Albergo Pensione Centrale, Via dei Conti 3, Tel.055/215761, Fax 215216. A <BR>quiet, small, second floor pensione, on a side street 4 blocks from the train station, 2 blocks from the Duomo and everything else. Nice view of San Lorenzo Dome, one block away over the roof tops. Antiques, artwork, flowers, classical music. Great bed. Great bath. Good breakfast. Cost to us in January for double with bath: 4 nights @ 135,000 lira per night, breakfast included. Franco is the day manager and can be very helpful, particularly if you have to deal with an airline that has separated you from your luggage. Eat one meal a Da Penello, Via D.Alighieri,4r. Have a great visit.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 12:31 PM
Robin K

<BR>Thanks for suggestions - I'm still on the hunt. Has anyone stayed at any of these places? <BR> <BR>Hotel Boston (68 Via Guelfa) <BR> <BR>Hotel Globus (Via Sa. Antonino) <BR> <BR>Hotel Il Perseo (Via Cerretani)

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 03:29 PM
globalbum

Stayed at Il Perseo. Very clean and reasonably priced. Some rooms even face the Duomo <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 03:03 PM
Robin

GEEZ - Is everybody going to Florence next month? I've tried several places without success. No room @ Il Perseo or at Giada. I've just faxed an inquiry to Albergo Pensione Centrale - if I strike out there, does anyone have any other suggestions??? {FYI - April is high season, so it's a challenge to stay at or under 170,000 for a double with private bath). <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 07:26 AM
Laura

We are going to Florence in May and are staying at Hotel Bellettini. Haven't stayed there before but it was highly recommended. The rate is 190,000 Lire (a little higher than you requested). If you want to give it a try you can e mail them at [email protected] <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 10:45 AM
pam

We have reservations @ Hotel Globus in early June--triple w/o bath @ 150000. I'm happy w/ the price, and Globus is in 3 guidebooks I have, so I think we'll be satisfied. <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 11:25 AM
Kathy Wootton

We stayed at Hotel Hermitage and loved it. Took a taxi from the train station (very reasonable). The hotel was very comfortable and very well located, right on the river. Very nice roof terrace for breakfast and nice lounge. Would definitely stay there again.

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 10:29 AM
Robin

<BR>YES! Finally got a confirmed reservation @ "Il Porcellino Tourist House" on Piazza del Mercate Nuovo. Cost is 160,000 for a double. If anyone has stayed at this place (and hopefully, it was a positive experience), please let me know. <BR>Everyone, thanks for your suggestions - did have to try several places before I was able to find accommadations for my 2 day jaunt to Florence. <BR>Now that I've got this task crossed off my list, I can go to the Ufizzi website to make my reservations! <BR>

Old May 7th, 1999, 01:28 PM
Robin

<BR>HELLO fellow travelers to Firenze! <BR>I initiated this topic 2 months ago, and now I've returned from my Italy trip (which included my 2 night stay in Florence). <BR>As per my message above, I stayed in the Il Porcellino Tourist House. The good news is it was a VERY strategically located in the center of town (within easy walking distance of the Duomo, Uffizi, Ponte Vecchio), the rooms were clean and pleasantly furnished. I stayed in a single for 100,000 lire; my friends had a double twin room for 160,000 lire. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, BUT (and this is a big but), it is located in the corner of 'Nuovo Mercato' and consequently you have market sounds outside your window. It was rather noisy late at night & early in the morning, so if you're a light sleeper or can't manage to sleep with ear plugs, then this place may not be for you. <BR> <BR>And as for everyone being in Florence, YES, it was very busy & there were lots of tourists & Italian students at all the popular sites. I can't emphasize enough the need to purchase your tickets online (at LEAST 2 to 3 weeks before you go) if you plan to visit the Uffizi Gallery. No need to waste half a day standing in line when you can click on 'weekendafirenze.com' and make your reservations. <BR>

Old May 7th, 1999, 01:29 PM
Robin

<BR>HELLO fellow travelers to Firenze! <BR>I initiated this topic 2 months ago, and now I've returned from my Italy trip (which included my 2 night stay in Florence). <BR>As per my message above, I stayed in the Il Porcellino Tourist House. The good news is it was a VERY strategically located in the center of town (within easy walking distance of the Duomo, Uffizi, Ponte Vecchio), the rooms were clean and pleasantly furnished. I stayed in a single for 100,000 lire; my friends had a double twin room for 160,000 lire. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, BUT (and this is a big but), it is located in the corner of 'Nuovo Mercato' and consequently you have market sounds outside your window. It was rather noisy late at night & early in the morning, so if you're a light sleeper or can't manage to sleep with ear plugs, then this place may not be for you. <BR> <BR>And as for everyone being in Florence, YES, it was very busy & there were lots of tourists & Italian students at all the popular sites. I can't emphasize enough the need to purchase your tickets online (at LEAST 2 to 3 weeks before you go) if you plan to visit the Uffizi Gallery. No need to waste half a day standing in line when you can click on 'weekendafirenze.com' and make your reservations. <BR>

Old May 7th, 1999, 01:40 PM
Robin

<BR>HELLO fellow travelers to Firenze! <BR>I initiated this topic 2 months ago, and now I've returned from my Italy trip (which included my 2 night stay in Florence). <BR>As per my message above, I stayed in the Il Porcellino Tourist House. The good news is it was a VERY strategically located in the center of town (within easy walking distance of the Duomo, Uffizi, Ponte Vecchio), the rooms were clean and pleasantly furnished. I stayed in a single for 100,000 lire; my friends had a double twin room for 160,000 lire. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, BUT (and this is a big but), it is located in the corner of 'Nuovo Mercato' and consequently you have market sounds outside your window. It was noisy late at night & early in the morning, so if you're a light sleeper or can't manage to sleep with ear plugs, then this place is not for you! <BR> <BR>And as for everyone being in Florence, YES, it was very busy & there were lots of tourists & Italian students at all the popular sites. I can't emphasize enough the need to purchase your tickets online (at LEAST 2 to 3 weeks before you go) if you plan to visit the Uffizi Gallery. No need to waste half a day standing in line when you can click on 'weekendafirenze.com' and make your reservations. <BR> <BR>

Old May 7th, 1999, 01:50 PM
Robin

<BR>HELLO fellow travelers to Firenze! <BR>I initiated this topic 2 months ago, and now I've returned from my Italy trip (which included my 2 night stay in Florence). <BR>As per my message above, I stayed in the Il Porcellino Tourist House. The good news is it was a VERY strategically located in the center of town (within easy walking distance of the Duomo, Uffizi, Ponte Vecchio), the rooms were clean and pleasantly furnished. I stayed in a single for 100,000 lire; my friends had a double twin room for 160,000 lire. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, BUT (and this is a big but), it is located in the corner of 'Nuovo Mercato' and consequently you have market sounds outside your window. It was noisy late at night & early in the morning, so if you're a light sleeper or can't manage to sleep with ear plugs, then this place is not for you! Also, note the hotel rooms are on the 3rd floor (no elevator) and they do not have air conditioning (so this may not be a good choice during summer months). <BR> <BR>And as for everyone being in Florence, YES, it was very busy & there were lots of tourists & Italian students at all the popular sites. I can't emphasize enough the need to purchase your tickets online (at LEAST 2 to 3 weeks before you go) if you plan to visit the Uffizi Gallery. No need to waste half a day standing in line when you can click on 'weekendafirenze.com' and make your reservations. <BR> <BR>

Old May 7th, 1999, 02:28 PM
Matt

Robin, <BR> <BR>If all else fails, try the 7 Santi Hostel. It used to be a convent, but now is a modern hostel. My girlfriend have a reservation for there in July. They have rooms with or without bathrom, but I think all have a shower. Our room is Lit. 75.000/night. Check out their website at &lt;www.eidinet.com/7santi&gt;. The following is from a personal email response they sent me after I inquired about their hostel. They "do not have a lockout or curfew and are located next to the church SetteSanti along Viale dei Mille, a large street of Florence near the football stadium where there are many shops, markets, and bars. There is a bus stop in front of the hostel and with the line 17, one can reach the centre and the railway station in 10 minutes." <BR> <BR>Good luck and hav

Old May 7th, 1999, 02:29 PM
Matt

Robin, <BR> <BR>If all else fails, try the 7 Santi Hostel. It used to be a convent, but now is a modern hostel. My girlfriend have a reservation for there in July. They have rooms with or without bathrom, but I think all have a shower. Our room is Lit. 75.000/night. Check out their website at &lt;www.eidinet.com/7santi&gt;. The following is from a personal email response they sent me after I inquired about their hostel. They "do not have a lockout or curfew and are located next to the church SetteSanti along Viale dei Mille, a large street of Florence near the football stadium where there are many shops, markets, and bars. There is a bus stop in front of the hostel and with the line 17, one can reach the centre and the railway station in 10 minutes." <BR> <BR>Good luck and hav

Old May 7th, 1999, 02:30 PM
Matt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -