Reload this Page >

Need Dining Recom. near hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 03:50 PM
K. Jones

Our lodgin reserv. are: Venice - The Londra <BR>Palace, Rome - La Residencia (near Via Veneto) and Florence - Marios and Verona - <BR>Guiletto e Romeo - has anyone had a wonderful <BR>dining experience within walking distance? <BR>Grazie

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 10:04 AM
Beth

Well, I can make one negative recommendation... Don't have dinner at the Londra's own restaurant, Da Leoni. It was really mediocre and expensive, one fo the worst meals we had in Venice. Their breakfast was quite good though. <BR> <BR>Getting around Venice on public transportation is so pleasant, and easy, you probably don't need to confine yourself to restaurants within walking distance. We didn't. Eating around the San Marco seems to be a questionable affair. Its very touristy, and tends to be overpriced. The furthur away you go, the better.

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 10:41 AM
elaine

Beth is right <BR>Venice and Florence are very walkable <BR>(or "boat-able") cities and you needn't worry about getting too lost. <BR>I have sightseeing notes on Florence and Venice which include my own restaurant recommendations and some taken from this forum. If you are interested, email me. You can also search on this forum for Venice restaurants, Florence restaurants, and Rome restaurants for many recommendations. <BR>good luck

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Paulo

In Rome, you should dine out in Trastevere at least once. Take a cab back and forth. Close to your hotel, if you feel like splurging, you may try the La Terrazza, on top of Hotel Eden (we've never been there - way over our budget). If you feel like strolling accross Piazza di Spagna, on Via Borgognona there's Nino, our preferred one in the area. <BR>I agree with Beth and Elaine. Both Venice and the old town of Florence (and also the old town of Verona) are pretty much "walkable" and you shouldn't restrain yourself in the area close to your hotel. Anyways, if you really don't <BR>feel like walking much: <BR>For a splurge in Venice you may consider Harry's Bar (just off San Marco square). In the moderate range, you may try either Da Remigio (closer) or La Colomba (off San Marco). <BR>In Florence, for a splurge you may try the Terrazza Bruneleschi. For a moderate choice, you there's Sabatini or our preferred in town for a bistecca ... Buca Lapi. <BR>In Verona, for a splurge, there's Il Desco. Our preferred moderate one in <BR>town is the 12 Apostoli. <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 11:48 AM
Rex

I've mentioned Antico Martini before on this board - - www.anticomartini.com - - it's a splurge - - expensive (but worth it). <BR> <BR>For a more everyday (but still very nice) meal, try Al Peoceto Risorto, Calle Donzella - - from San Marco go across the Ponte Rialto and then continue straight onward about 100 yards (meters). If you're having trouble finding it, ask at the Hotel Rialto (also right near the bridge on the side away from S. Marco) on the Grand Canal - - they have their card with a little map. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 12:05 PM
Ed

Piccolo Mondo and Giovanni are within two-three blocks of La Residenza, both quite good. <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 01:46 PM
joseph cameron

In Venice, try Da Fiore, probably its best restaurant, and certainly one of the best in Italy. It just would not make sense to eat only near your hotel. As other posters have noted, you can easily walk there, taking boats across the Grand Canal as needed. And in Florence, there might still be a wonderful place run by the wine-making Antinori family - with splendid wines by the glass. We'll be in Rome in March, and if I run across great places not already posted, will do so.

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 02:04 PM
Beth

Yes, Cantinetta Antinori is still there in Florence. We didn't eat there though, opting instead for Buca Lapi which is right downstairs. Buca Lapi was wonderful, an amazing bistecca fiorentina. And I second the recommendation for Da Fiore in Venice. It was an outstanding meal, with great service. Its a little hard to find, although the concierge at Londra Palace gave us very good directions.