Search

Need an apartment for 5 months in Parma, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need an apartment for 5 months in Parma, Italy

Hello I am a engineering student that will be studying in Parma next Febuary
and I was wondering how much an apartment for 2-3 people there will cost for 5-6 months.
Any websites you guys recommend? I would also like to be in the center of the city since from what i am told is the best place to live in Parma.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The historic center of Parma is a bit pricey. We rented our 3 bedroom apartment in the center for a total of 2000 euros/month. We had to pay for a separate garage as well. We looked at other apts that were a bit less (maybe 1400-1600 euros) but they were a litter smaller. We went through a real estate agent and had to pay her a substantial commission.

Here are some of the challenges you will face. Rental contracts in Parma tend to be for a duration of four years. You can get out of them early with a six month notice however. Also, most of the apartments we viewed were unfurnished. This does not refer to furniture like it does in the US. It meant that there were no kitchen cabinets or appliances, no light fixtures, no bathroom fixtures (no towel bars, toilet paper holders, mirrors-- there were already sinks, toilets, showers though). We had to provide our own.

Obviously, there is a university in Parma but I do not know where the students live. There must be some type of housing. Can your school help or can you contact the university of Parma and ask what they suggest?

The only place I know of to contact is this one:

http://www.astoriaresidencehotel.it/...e-services.php

Even if they don't have anything, maybe they can make a recommendation.

Parma is not a large city so maybe something on the other side of the river would be less expensive but still very close to the city center. Also, I don't think the area near the Cittadella is considered the historic center but there are some nice apts in the vicinity. When we were there, we bought a used bike for 40 euros and it was so easy to get anywhere.

Parma is a lovely small city so I hope you enjoy your time there. Even though it doesn't seem terribly lively at night, we frequently saw students having apertivo along Via Farini in the late afternoon/ early evening hours.

Good luck!
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 05:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi chasles,

it took a bit of doing [and stretched my italian somewhat] but eventually I found this:

http://en.unipr.it/node/300613

it's a link to the english language section of the University of Parma website where they discuss student accommodation.

hope it helps!