Need advice on travel in North

Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Need advice on travel in North

When I ask people I know about Germany, I only find people who have been in and around Bavaria. My husband and I are taking our two kids, ages 10 and 8 to Hamburg in spring of 2008 to visit a friend of mine. While I am sure that she will be able to advise us in and around Hamburg itself - can anyone give us some tips that may interest us around northern Germany? Also - day trip ideas? Is Copenhagen do-able as a day trip? Anything especially interesting for kids? Thanks! Valerie
Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM

"North" is a bit vague. Try re-posting your question with city names in the title so people know what you need help with.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

I guess that is a bit of the problem. I don't really know of any exact towns. We will be staying in Hamburg so it would have to been places that are worth visiting around Hamburg - mostly like day trip excursions.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 01:59 PM

We were stationed in Bremerhaven and had a few favorite weekend get-aways.

In Denmark, we liked Ribe in Jutland with its cobbled stone streets, half-timbered houses and a Romansque/Gothic cathedral (fascinating interior). Climb the tower of the church if possible. Also in Jutland, we liked Abenra, an old fishing harbor with white-washed low buildings where you might expect to see Popeye at any moment.

South of Hamburg we enjoyed Goslar, more cobblestones and half-timber houses, and a medieval Rathaus (City Hall).

With all three of these places, it is the atmosphere that makes them fun to visit.

Regards, Gary
Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM

Friedrichstadt is north of Hamburg, founded by Dutch settlers in the 17th century, and full of pittoresque Dutch houses and canals.

Lüneburg and Celle are south of Hamburg. Old Hanse towns with scenic city centers. Near Celle in the village of Hankensbüttel there is also a sanctuary for otters and sea otters. Kids usually like that a lot. (There is still Hagenbecks - the famous zoo of Hamburg, your friends will definitely take you there)
Your kids are maybe a bit too young to like the Volkswagen factory tour and Autoworld in Wolfsburg. You have to really want to do that, because there is nothing more to see or do in Wolfsburg.

If your kids like the sea, you can do day trips with the car ferries to Denmark (from Kiel or Travemünde). They usually have package deals which include a 2-3hr bus tour in Denmark (but you won't see Copenhagen that way, probably).

To the East you find Lübeck, Wismar, Rostock.. again old Hanse towns, lots of cobblestone and red brick buildings from the 17th/18th century (I hope I get my history right here).

Copenhagen is probably not do-able as a day trip. It's more than 200 miles one way, and having to use the ferry will boost your travel time to 4 hours one way. But if you find a good airfare, you can do a day trip by plane from Hamburg.

Also probably a bit too much for one day is also my old home town, which because of that reason I advertise here nevertheless: Hameln or Hamelin, home of the Pied Piper, historic old town, lots of Weser Renaissance and half-timber buildings...

Hope you have fun in the North.. and spread the message that 95% of the German population never ever wear Bavarian Lederhosen or Dirndls ;-)
Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM

I would think that you could do Berlin as a day trip. I think it's around an hour ride via high speed train.

There was a thread about children's sights/activities in Berlin (younger than yours, but the suggestions could be useful):
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34982746

I visited Quedlinburg and loved it - 1600 half timbered houses and an amazing Romanesque church with a treasure vault. Your children might find the town boring, though, unless they really love old buildings. I did see a little tourist train that drove around the downtown streets.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM

As mentioned, the Harz with its architectural treasures in towns like Goslar, Quedlinburg and Wernigerode and its superb walking and hiking environment is indeed a not-to-be-missed part of the country readily accessible from Hamburg, if you have the time.

Kids are also well catered for with swimming pools, deer parks, adventure playgrounds and the like.

Harzer
Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM

The aforementioned Celle, Goslar, Hameln, and also the unheralded Rinteln, with its terrific Weserrennaisance buildings, would all be high on my list, if a bit far south of Hamburg. A stop in Bückeburg to see the palace of the same name is also very worthwhile.