Reload this Page >

Need add'l suggestions for 3* hotels around St. Remy & Les Baux

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Gretchen

My husband and I will be in Provence for 4 nights in early May. We are looking for a nice place (approx 3*, but could go up or down) just outside St. Remy or Les Baux. Both Mas de L'Oulivie and Chateau des Alpilles look great, but neither have availability. Can anyone recommend similar places? Karen Brown recommends L'Auberge de la Benvengudo. Is anyone familiar with that property (or have a website/e-mail address for it)? Would love to hear any other suggestions. <BR>Thank you!!

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 01:34 PM
mimi taylor

We stayed one night at the charming Mas d'Aigret in Les Baux. We wanted to stay at the Taven de Riboto but it was booked full.(also in Les Baux)

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Gretchen

Thanks, Mimi. That hotel is the only Les Baux hotel listed in my Fodors "Exploring Provence" book. Can you describe it? Does it have a restaurant? About how far of a drive into Les Baux, St. Remy?<BR>Thanks for your comments.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Grandma

Stayed at the Benvengudo many years ago.Simple, but very nice... and a agood restaurant then.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Betty

Here are a couple of sites that offer several possibilities. Sorry I don't have any personal experience with any of them.<BR><BR>http://www.francemarket.com/alpillesuk.htm<BR><BR>http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/avi/gb/pres/p1.htm<BR><BR>Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Lisa

We stayed at le Mas D'aigret. It is right next door to Les Baux and has a magnificent view. Although you may have a lot of traffic and parking on the road right outside, you feel very secluded behind large hedges and in the beautiful gardens. There is a great pool. I felt it was very good value for the price. The rooms are not overly luxurious but spacious and comfortable. Ask for a troglodyte room which are rooms carved out of the actual rock. I thought that was a unique experience.<BR><BR>There is a restaurant.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 04:35 PM
mimi taylor

and a great cat too at the aigret. Tavern is on the main road where to park to go up the steps to Les Baux.<BR>Gretchen, Go to www.bonjourparis.co<BR>There was an article with a picture of the L'Aigret, it may still be there,<BR>anyway, there is a wonderful little bar area, an outside dining area which is a pleasant place to have your breakfast. And the little staff very friendly.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 04:56 PM
mimi taylor

Gretchen, here is the other place I liked.<BR> www.riboto-de-taven.fr<BR><BR><BR>I like this place very much, mimi

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Gretchen

Thanks to all of you who responded with info. I've sent a lot of e-mails and on-line inquiries (through websites) and have not received any responses. I know a lot of these places are closed right now, but is it customary for them to check e-mail and web site reservation requests anyway? Does it simply take a few days longer than it would if I were e-mailing when they're open? (In other words, should I just sit tight and be patient?) I haven't experienced these delays before when making reservations, but I don't know that I've ever tried to do it during the off season like this. Any tips would be appreciated! thanks again.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Carol

I don't have specific hotels, but I certainly would stay in or near St. Remy rather than Les Baux which is isolated and has little of interest past a few hours. St. Remy has so very much of interest (Roman ruins, sanitorium for Van Gogh, underground farmhouse to tour, old synagogue, old church, good restaurants, market day) and much more accessibility to other places that I would stay there rather than the desolate (and overrated Le Baux).

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Anthony

We stay in and love St. Remy. Carol's advice is right on the money.<BR><BR>Some tips on St. Remy:<BR>-Restaurant-"Gousse D'Ail", Thursday is "jazz night". Make reservation as there are only a dozen or so tables. Proprietor, Tjebba, is a real gentleman.<BR>-Market Day is Wednesday-not to be missed.<BR>-Hotel-we stay at L'Amandiere. Rooms are small but immaculate. Garden around the hotel, pool on property, breakfast only. It is about a half mile stroll in to town. it is two star, inexpensive.Proprietors Christophe and Claudine are our dear friends.<BR>-Chocolatier-Joel Durand in town.<BR><BR>Contact me if I could be of further help.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 12:27 PM
anotherCarol

I disagree, why go to Provence and stay in a city when everything is so clse. There are numerous beautiful hotels and lodgings in Les Baux.