Reload this Page >

Near tears as I write this

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 02:05 PM
meg

Well, I was one of the last holdouts of the die-hard we're going no matter what ilk. BUt after reading the NEW state dept warning today that specifically mentions Italy, and reading from other posters how FEW tourists have been there lately, I cannot do it. I won't feel safe or comfortable and I certainly don't want to be standing out even more bc there are so few other AMericans there. <BR> <BR>Part of me feels wimpy, but then I also feel that when a warning is issued and it's specific, I as an American should heed it. THese warnings are not put out lightly. No idea when I'll get there (if this war lasts years when WILL we be safe?).

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 02:20 PM
Jake

Meg, <BR>Just came back from Italy on Sunday after a two-week stay, AND I flew out of Boston and Newark -- talk about courting danger. Anyhow, I just wanted to tell you that my experience was fine. No problems. I stayed in Rome for a few days and then spent a week or so traveling throughout Tuscany. Things seemed to be "normal" (if anything can truly be normal these days.) I also encountered many Americans -- from Texas, Oklahoma, Mass., etc. The State Department had a similar general warning before I left -- we went anyhow. <BR>I'm not advocating your staying or going. I'm just trying to tell you about my "uneventful" recent experience.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 02:22 PM
Nanet

Meg, I think you made a wise choice. <BR>If the State Dept. issued a warning, <BR>when so many times they don't, at this <BR>point in time, I would heed it. <BR>It doesn't make you a wimp, so don't listen to all the posters that will try to make you feel that way. There are always people who defy caution, and good for them, but the rest of us shouldn't be made to feel guilty. <BR>I travel to Europe at least three times a year, and Asia off and on, so I am <BR>missing a few good trips this year, but <BR>if I don't feel comfortable, what is the point? <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 02:34 PM
liz

Jake, <BR>For the record this new warning of Oct. 2 clearly WAS NOT in place when you were in Italy or when you returned. Specifically saying Italy may be targeted is very different from issuing a general 'worldwide' caution type statement. Clearly new info has come to light, as meg sez, these warnings aren't issued lightly. <BR> <BR>I hope I can get my money back! I'm supposed to leave next week!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 02:47 PM
Gigi

Meg, <BR>I am so sorry. These trips are so great, the planning is fun... <BR>I don't think you need to feel "wimpy", you are making the best decision for your own situation. I hope you can take a few days of this vacation and do something very special for yourself. <BR>regards, <BR>Gigi

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:06 PM
RSL

We get upset when we hear after the fact that the gov. didn't warn us of something, then when it does, we ignore it or berate those who do listen to it. <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:09 PM
Kate

Meg...I'm where you are. We will cancel our trip, a 10 yr. wedding anniversary trip to Rome, based upon today's info. <BR> <BR>I'm really bummed about it all. I was planning our trip for months & months. <BR> <BR>I, too, feel perhaps that I'm being wimpy about all of this (esp. since hubby doesn't see it the way that I do,) but I really feel that the decision not to go is the right thing to do at this time. Hopefully (!), Rome will always be there & we'll go soon. <BR> <BR>Maybe you'll find another trip to take & enjoy it more than you would have hoped! <BR> <BR>Kate

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:18 PM
Sara

I understand why some of you might be very worried about travelling to Italy or other destinations overseas right now, and I COMPLETELY respect the decisions of those who decide not to go, but I am planning on going on with my trip to Italy in two weeks. I truly think that anything can happen no matter where you are and I am not going to let these a**ho*es that did these terrible things ruin my life, I will not let them win! <BR> <BR>Those who decide to travel, good for you! And those who decide to stay home, good for you too! Do not feel bad about any decision you make, just go with what feels right for you.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:22 PM
Capo

I just read the State Department's Public Announcement as of October 2 regarding Italy (at http://travel.state.gov/italy_announce.html) <BR> <BR>It does not say that the risk of a terrorist attack is so great that people should avoid traveling to Italy. (If anyone chooses not to go, that is, of course, their perogative. Why travel if you're going to spend your entire vacation being anxious?) <BR> <BR>What it says is: "U.S. citizens are urged to maintain a high level of vigilance and to increase their security awareness." and "American citizens are also urged to avoid contact with any suspicious, unfamiliar objects, and to report the presence of the objects to local authorities." <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:29 PM
deena

Twelve years ago I cancelled my son's <BR>Bar Mitzvah trip to Israel on the morning he, my neice and my parents were to leave. This was when Kuwait was invaded and the US was sending troops to the middle east. I too was very upset about the cancellation but my peace of mind was improtant too. Since then my son and my neice have been to Israel 3 times and I have been there twice. I believe that you don't let the terrorists rule your life, but if you are not comfortable now DON'T GO.Italy will be there and you can go sometime in the future.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:38 PM
pam

Hi all, <BR> <BR>I just wanted to note that the government *warning* was actually an *announcement*. To put this into perspective Afganistan currently has a government *warning* and Jamaica an *announcement*. I am not saying whether folks should visit Italy or not...I only want to make certain that people distinguish the differences of both. <BR> <BR>If you are uncomfortable with the idea of traveling then there is a good chance that you will spend you vacation stressed out. However, many people are torn about traveling because of possible monetary loss or patriotic feelings. <BR> <BR>On a positive note, I know several people who have traveled overseas since 9-11, and say that it is amazing how *normal* life seems once they arrive in another country. Everyone I have spoken says that they feel perfectly safe. (But then again before 9-11 didn't we all feel safe here in America.) <BR> <BR>Many Europeans are accustomed to terrorism of some sort, and through that have learned to carry on with life despite attacks. I am still trying to decide if we (Americans) will ever "get" there. We have had attacks in the past, but nothing like this. I feel as though we were raped, violated in a very secret and vile way. I can't shake it. Because of this, I want to throw back in the faces of the terrorists and continue living my life as normal. I feel that part of that is to travel. To confront THAT fear. I have plans to visit Egypt next year, I keep swinging back and forth on my decision on whether or not to cancel. I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but they are my thoughts. <BR> <BR>Good luck in your decisions. <BR> <BR>Pam

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 04:42 PM
Vita

Hi, all. I'm scheduled to leave for Roma on Oct. 4. I still haven't decided if I should go. Meg, don't you dare feel like a wimp. This is a tough call and there's no right answer. Only what's right for you. Ironically, I was putting off buying my ticket until last week to see what would happen. If this warning had come out last week, I think I just would have cancelled. It's comforting, at least, that I'm not crazy for contemplating going.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 04:50 PM
meg

Vita, <BR> <BR>Please post your decision. Im supposed to leave for Rome Oct. 7!!! Postponed from Sept 20. Ironic isnt it, if id just gone sept 20 id have been fine. damnit

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:08 PM
intrepid

Just got back from trip to Italy Greece and UK. I felt really safe everywhere, and very comfortable with the obvious security presence in the airports. Especially if your travel plans are for rural Italy, I would go forward. But that's just me -- and since vacations are to enjoy, if you are going to be really stressed out, you should cancel. There were lots and lots of Americans in all three countries, and the ones I talked with were all having a good time.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:44 PM
John G

I would fly to Florence or Rome or Venice tomorrow if I had the chance. Not only would I see all the sites, but I would wear one of those OLD NAVY t-shirts with the American flag on it. I would whistle "Yankee Doodle," and eat macaroni. But, hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:52 PM
mary

we are cancelling our thanksgiving week trip to paris. boo hoo- however it is because of job layoffs. i still have to return the map and books i bought to barnes&noble. but hopefully, things will start looking better next year. anyone travelling that week -have a toast to fellow americans who are unable to take their planned vacations. <BR>safe travels to everyone!!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:53 PM
Escritora

John, honey--you're supposed to stick a feather in your cap and CALL it macaroni. Eating any kind of pasta in Rome is hardly the way to call attention to yourself. <BR> <BR>All joking aside, everyone does in fact have to do what they have to do. Me, I haven't seen anything in the last three weeks that says I'm extra safe here at home base in NYC. Forget about being at "increased risk of terrorist actions"--we've already gone way past that here. So I'm still going to Mexico this month. But there's no sense in going on holiday to prove a point if you're going to be miserable the whole time.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:28 AM
Elise

It is such a deeply personal decision. As I wrote in another post, I am due to leave for France with a friend in 3 weeks. We are talking about cancelling. its just not the right time. Neither of us feeld secure about our jobs, and that would be a huge hit to be layed off after a vacation, right before the holidays. Going out to find another job, that would be very depressing and possibly not fruitful. I'm afraid we're in for some tough times, and while I'm not afraid to travel, I'm not sure I can justify going right now.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:42 AM
candice

John G-you are soo funny! Every time I read one of your replies, I crack up! Thank you-after reading a lot of whining,crying,and name calling-your goofy (meaning this in all good ways <BR>thoughts are so refreshing! and keep me smiling~And Meg-GO, I am!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:25 AM
amy

what can i say that everyone else hasn't? we just returned from rome and amalfi. we did hear a lot of american accents, and yes, we actually even walked past the american embassy (heavily guarded). what was interesting is that i had read all about the noise and crowds, but i guess because it was after the attack, the tourism was down...no noise, and very manageable crowds. if you choose to go i believe you may have a slightly better experience because you will avoid the crowds. for example, we had no reservations for the gallery borghese and walked right in! but, of course, like most others, i respect that it is a very personal decision and you must be comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -