Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naxos w kid and grandparents - activities/day trips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2020, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I'm planning a family trip for May which includes a toddler and both sets - yes both sets!!! - of grandparents.

We'll have a week in Naxos - I was keen to do a day trip to Santorini and explore the lesser Cyclades but it seems that because of the ferry schedules in May we'll only be able to see Santorini for 2-3 hours, plus most boat tours to the lower Cyclades don't start until late May or even June. (We'll be gone by May 16.) I emailed Naxos Tours but have yet to get a response back, not sure if there are other tour companies I should reach out to?

Aside from a day in Paros or maybe even Antiparos (not sure if this is possible from Naxos?) what else can you recommend? I know Naxos is fairly big, so should we plan on renting a car for at least a few days? We're staying about a 15 min walk from the St. George beach area and there are 8 of us so I was hoping not to bother with a car rental but may bite the bullet and rent two if it comes to it. Everyone is in relatively good health, in addition to beach time and relaxing, we'd like to do some light hiking and explore the mountains.

Would love any and all advice! Thank you!

Last edited by donutsfordays; Jan 24th, 2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 05:48 PM
kja

If you have any interest in spectacular ruins from ancient Greece, a day trip to Delos is IMO a delightful way to spend a day.

Renting a car for at least a day would likely make sense.

If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report. The section on Naxos starts with post # 109.
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 12:19 AM

Eight fares on ferries or excursion boats will soon add up, something like €50 per person for most day trips. Cheapest would be a conventional ferry (Blue Star) to Paros, and an ongoing ferry or taxi boat to Antiparos is very cheap. The excursion boats are easiest because you don’t have to worry about transport at the destination, but you are limited to the fixed itinerary of the excursion boat.

Naxos Tours is okay, but may not be prompt in answering enquiries during winter. The two excursion boats, Naxos Star and Alexander, serve both Naxos and Paros on each of their trips, and Polos Tours on Paros has better information. If you use their timetables just remember the boats leave Naxos about 45 minutes earlier than Paros and return to Naxos 45 minutes later. Have a look on the following link for tours to Santorini and Delos/ Mykonos with Naxos Star and Alexander:
https://polostoursparos.com/daily-cruises/

There are one or two boats that go to the Little Cyclades from Agia Anna on Naxos. I don’t remember the names, but you can ask when you get to Naxos. None of the ferries or excursion boats will be full in May, so you don’t need to prebook. Use the Polos Tours link for info only.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 07:15 AM

Day trips from Naxos to Iraklia, Schinoussa, Koufonissi, Amorgos, Donoussa or Santorini would be a nonsense anyway.
If you don't spend at least 1 night at these Islands, you have seen nothing.