Naxos Restaurants

May 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Naxos Restaurants

I am counting down only 40 days until we are in Naxos! I would appreciate recommendations of good restaurants or taverns serving food. It seems that somewhere I read about a restaurant/tavern near the castle. We will have a car and will be there for 4 nights. Restaurants inland or beach view would be neat too.
We are not particular about type of cuisine only tasty dishes.
Thank you so much.
May 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM

We have been to Naxos many times and are always drawn to one Taverna. There are many interesting tavernas on the main waterfront and you can take your pick there as they are all pretty good and it is fascinating just watching people walk by.
We enjoyed Flamingo on the second floor just behind the ice cream shop at the far end of the waterfront to the west. They they have live entertainment and great deserts. Our absolute favorite taverna is up the hill at the base of the Kastro walls. We have to discipline ourselves and go a different taverna every second night otherwise we would just go here every night.We always find ourselves drawn to the ocean view, excellent food atmosphere and service at Taverna to Kastro.
It is very difficult to find but it is well worth the quest. In our experience it is the only taverna in May and June where people are willing to wait for a table.
Here are the direction to Tavern to Kastro from the main waterfront. You will enjoy this one.
Directions to Taverna to Kastro

On the waterfront find the jewelery store Margareta’s. It is about halfway along the main waterfront promenade. Beside Margareta’s you will find a narrow alley that leads up into the old town. Follow that and it will lead to a storefront. You can only turn right here. Follow the alley further and in about 20 meters or so you will walk directly into another store front. This time the alley veers slightly to the right. Do not take this path. Turn left and walk another 20 meters until you come up to a stone wall. Again you can only turn right here. Walk about 50 meters and you will come to a broad set of stairs. Follow them to the top and you will step right into the square where Taverna to Kastro is. This whole walk will take about 3 minutes from the waterfront.

Beware there are two tavernas in this square. Kastro is right at the top of the stairs and you will see a statue. Kastro is in front of the statue. The taverna behind the statue just doesn’t cut it. They have smaller servings are more expensive and many people have been fooled in thinking they were at taverna to kastro and have been disappointed.

The owner’s name is Soulas. He is the bearded man taking orders. He is always running until he has time to sit and have a drink and a chat with his customers. Bon appetite!
May 26th, 2008, 11:27 PM

I like a little place called Lucullus in Naxos town, on one of the side streets as you come down from the castle. It's been there for donkeys years and never failed to impress me
May 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the tips. Kastro is the one that I had read about. I appreciate your confirmation. I will try the other two as well. This will give us 3 options for dinner.
May 28th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Thanks Stanbr!

TravelerJan has also recommended this restaurant and now you've provided helpful directions!
We'll be there in September and check it out!

Regards,

Melodie