Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naxos--please recommend budget places to sleep!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will spend a few days in April 2008 on Naxos, and we'd love to hear from Fodorites about good (preferably budget) places to sleep!

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM

The Hotel Galini/Sofia Latina on St. George beach has been recommended many times here. Do a search for Naxos and Galini.

That's where I'm staying in May - 40 euros for a double, including breakfast.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM

Some hotels may not be open that early, but try http://www.argo-hotel.com/. Also at St George, run by a wonderful Greek-Swedish couple who go out of their way to help. Prices are very reasonable.

What part of April will you be travelling? Greek Easter is the last weekend of April this year, and ferries, etc will be busy then, and during the week leading up to it. Otherwise April will be very quiet.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, cheryllj & heimdall, for your suggestions & info! I will definitely check out the hotels you 2 suggest.

Heimdall, we're going to be in Naxos before Greek Easter---arriving April 15.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 03:52 PM

We stay at Hotel Glaros. It is about 50 feet from Galini but it has a better sea view and is open in April.
Google hotel Glaros greece for their web site.
We have heard back from several people who we have directed to Glaros and they have reported back how much they liked it.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, stanbr, for your info on Glaros. We heard good things about it from travelerjan as well, and we've sent in info request.

This forum is so helpful!!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Do not be discouraged if you do not get a reply from Glaros for a month or so. Glaros is open for the season from April until October and the hotelier Alex does not get much time off during the season. He normally travels for much of December and January so do not expect to hear back from him until sometime in February. He doesn't even respond to me until he gets back home. This is typical of many of the hotels on the islands.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Stanbr, thanks for telling us this about lack of response at this time from hoteliers on islands. We've been wondering why we don't hear from some places; guess we just need to be patient!
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 09:44 AM

One reason we love the Greek Islands so much is they are very laid back. There is not too much going on where one has to hurry.
We have come to really appreciate that slow pace of life once we arrive however during our planning period we expect prompt business like service.
The best course of action is to be patient and take the slow responses as a confirmation of how relaxing your trip is going to be.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

We've had quick replies from 3 of the Naxos hotels we contacted: Argo Hotel, Hotel Galini & Sofia Latina, & Hotel Glaros. The friendly hoteliers have given us clear information about rates and facilities. Now the hard part is choosing among these 3 excellent places! Thanks to everyone for your recommendations.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM

I am familiar with all three hotels but I have never been in Argos.

If an important selection decision includes a view then you should know Argos is a few blocks back from the beach and has no sea view.
Galini and Sophia are much closer to the beach and some rooms on the top floor have some beach view.
Glaros is 10 meters from the beach and all rooms have an excellent beach view.
On the other hand you will likely pay a bit more at Glaros.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM

Maggie (where did you get THAT handle?)

-- I just now e-mailed you, about your hotel choices, and repeated stanbr's comment earlier that the big difference is the breakfast -- Galini has a fabulous buffet breakfast, whilst Glaros has a boring coffee, boiled egg, 2 pieces pound cake, and "tang" orange juice. So if breakfast is a biggie for you, that matters.

Re Argos: the room photos look quite appealing.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 11:55 PM

You do have a hard choice! Stanbr is correct that you don't get an uninterupted seaview from Hotel Argo, but you do get well maintained rooms and lower prices. Another bonus is that it is closer to the bus stop for Agios Prokopios and Plaka beaches.

Those are important factors to me. I spend very little time in my room during waking hours, so prefer not to pay for a sea view (I get a much better sea view from the beach). I don't like swimming at St George beach, but prefer to stay in that part of town and take the bus to Ag Prokopios.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Stanbr, travelerjan, & heimdall: What would we do w/out you?! Based on your observataions, I think we'd be happy in Argos, Galini, or Glaros; each has something special to offer. We will decide in a couple of days.

Heimdall, your note about staying somewhere close to the bus stop brings up a good question for us: We want to explore Naxos, so do we need to catch a bus to get to good walking trails? Also, should we plan to spend time strolling around St George Beach area as well?
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM

I know from their other posts that stanbr & travelerjan have spent more time in the mountain villages than I, but a bus from town toward Apollon or Filoti will bring you to some very nice walking trails. For that you would have to walk into town to the main bus station. I was referring to a bus stop behind St George that is closer for the buses going to Ag Prokopios & Plaka, on a different route.

There's not much to see in the immediate area around St George apart from the beach itself, but a walk around the harbor and up into the old town below the kastro (castle) is something you will always remember. Also, sometimes I get off the bus at Agios Prokopios, walk up the beach road to Agia Anna, and then along Plaka Beach.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM

Heimdall is correct there is not much to see at St George beach other than the beach and the sea.
The reason I recommend that one stay at St George beach is you can enjoy being near the beach but you are still only a short walk into Chora. The town has narrow twisting streets leading up to the Venetian Kastro area. There is very good dining particularly at Taverna to Kastro and in the old market area you will find a bakery still using a wood fired oven. That is the best bread I have ever had.

There is not much traffic in Naxos so you can easily rent a car and tour the island. The interior mountain villages are wonderful and you feel like you are finding a truly Greek experience.

The bus system is very good in Naxos and you will have to go to the main square near the ferry to get the buses to the various villages.
Aparanthos has narrow alleys paved in Marble. Keramoti now has only about 50 inhabitants but we had a magical experience there when we followed the waterway to its spring source and found a scene that looked like it was from Middle Earth.
Here are our Naxos pictures.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Heimdall & stanbr, thank you for this excellent info on walking/hiking/strolling possibilities from St George Beach! Do you know anything about a book by Christian Ucke & Dieter Graf
called "Naxos and Small Cyclades: Walking the Greek Islands" (2003 pub date)?

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM

I was in Naxos one year for Easter. At that time of the year you don't really need to book ahead. You could just go and check out several hotels and pick one. Also at this time of the year you can usually negotiate a lower rate. The numerous hotels are quite competitive. The only advanatage of booking ahead is that they will probably pick you up at the ferry so you don't have to walk there and try to locate them or if you are arriving in the night. I have stayed at Glaros and Argos. I liked Argos. Good kitchettes in the ground level units. Breakfast was good. At that time of the year it is best to be in this area as others have said so that you can easliy walk to the old town and the waterfront and restaurants and beach etc. A good restaurant in this area is Scirroco in the square.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:34 AM

Hello maggiejackson,

My wife and I purchased the Ucke/Graf book while on Naxos May 2006. In all we managed four hikes (and after spending two weeks hiking on Crete we were sorely disappointed) and all started with a bus ride:

#16 in the book--Dream Paths--described as a "must," a loop from Chalki to Moni and back. Chalki is worth a visit and the hand-made lace of Moni is beautiful. The trail is not well marked and we got lost coming back. Saw a bit more than we bargained for. While having refreshments waiting for the bus in Chalki another tourist came up to me and said he had seen us go off and wanted to know how we made out. He tried the loop in the opposite direction, got lost immediately and bushwacked his way through some rough terrain. His wife was NOT happy;

#24--The Colossus of Apollon--a very easy downhill from Koronos to Apollonas. Had an interesting detour around a donkey and a hurdle over a snake. Only advice here is to walk on the road for the last half hour as the trail becomes overgrown in a damp gully. Make sure you visit the Kuros and get a picture with someone next to it for scale. Apollonas is on a beautiful crescent cove and is a quiet spot to have lunch. If you take the bus back, don't drink too much beforehand as there is no toilet on the bus and it is a longish ride.

#17--Steep Ascent to Zeus--if you do this hike out of Filoti, please, please, please, take the alternate trail from behind Agia Irini to the spring and NOT the trail to the right of the mill. Let my suffering spare you some. If this can be done then you have a steep climb to wonderful views--most of the island, soaring birds of prey, over to Paros and beyond depending on how clear it is;

#20--Ascending Mount Fanari--from Apirantos to Filoti, great from beginning to end, though not extremely well marked. Beautiful vistas at every turn. Make sure you take a few minutes to wander around Apirantos.

I emailed Christian on our return, telling him what I thought of the state of the trails. He emailed me back the next day. One of the major problems, he explained, is from the Naxos tourist people, who find it easier to do nothing for thousands who come for the beaches (the beaches are there), versus having to work at maintaining trails for the few. Their loss--we're going back to Crete for a month of hiking.

JQ
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM

We have booked into Hotel Galini in early June for 5 nights and I'm a little concerned that we will find the room small for that many days as there appears to be no sitting area or kitchenette in the room. Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -