WHICH "HOTEL" IN SIENA?

Search

WHICH "HOTEL" IN SIENA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHICH "HOTEL" IN SIENA?

We are currently booked to stay at Albergo Bernini in Siena, but we are concerned about the parking situation there. We were told that we can park at La Fortezza which is a short walk to the hotel, but we cannot be assured of finding a FREE parking space there when we need one. Also, I believe they have a market on Wednesdays and street cleaning a couple of days a week , so we would end up having to move the car really, really early in the morning. And who knows where we could park while they market or clean.

I am looking at Hotel Porta Romana which is right outside the "gates" of Siena (and only about a 15-20 minute walk to Il Campo) and they have free parking. The reviews of this place are not nearly as good as Albergo Bernini. So we are trying to decide which way to go.

Has anyone stayed at any of these two places? Please shed some light.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 10:02 AM

A few years ago I stayed at Hotel Athena, a 5-minute walk to the center. Parking is free.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 11:11 AM

The Santa Caterina is very nice and also at the Porta Romana gate. They have limited parking of their own if you book ahead. Great location for day trips south and east.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions, but we are trying to stay within the $125 per night rate. These range from $176- to over $200.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 12:17 PM

We stayed at the Albergo Bernini a few years ago. Although we had a reservation for four days, we moved out after the first night. The reasons were that there was a foul odor coming up from the plumbing, the bed was uncomfortable and the restaurant below was noisy. The view from the terrace was to die for however, but the view from our room was of a wall.

We moved to the Albergo Chiusarelli, located just outside the wall. We found that hotel much more to our liking - comfortable room, lovely public space, excellent breakfast. The last minute, no reservation price was about the same as the Bernini. Cons were no free parking (we did not have a car so that did not matter to us)and rooms in the front will be subject to a lot of traffic noise. Our room was in the back, so was fine.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 12:23 PM

The Chiusarelli has some parking available:

http://www.chiusarelli.it/en-hotel-s...facilities.htm

I've stayed there 3 times, and have always been quite pleased with the hotel.