Narrowing down Rome hotel choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After hours reviewing all of the wonderful tips on this site, I think I have narrowed down our choices of Rome hotels. We are trying to decide between:
Albergo Santa Chiara
Albergo Cesari
Portoghesi
We'd like to be centrally located in the historic center and are trying to stay under $300/night. Sugggestions? Thank you so much in advance for the help.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 02:15 PM

TTT
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Only have stayed at Portoghesi, and that was 5 years ago (couldn't afford it this year!) We loved everything about it.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 02:37 PM

We have stayed at Albergo Santa Chiara
3 times and highly recommend it. It is a Fodor's favorite and in my opinion the very best location.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Hotel Mozart is beautiful and located right in the historical area very quiet and near the metro stop .
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Kari,

All three of your final choices are good. I would just see who has the best deal and room for your dates.

BTW, in Rome, if you are near a Metro stop, then you are NOT in the historical center.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 04:53 PM

I will strongly second the recommend for Albergo Santa Chiara. We stayed there in October of 2004, in a lovely room (no. 405?) with a small terrace overlooking the narrow street below. Fabulous location right behind the Pantheon, within walking distance to practically everything, and the greatest of all breakfasts included.

Anna Roz
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 06:51 PM

When are you going? For our stay in Rome, December 20-23, the Cesari had scheduled some construction work, replacing an elevator or something. Does that matter to you?

I chose the Ponte Sisto instead and got a great rate through reservationitaly.com.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone. We just received word back from the Cesari that they will be under construction until July, 07. We are going in June and that does affect my decision. It was kind of at the top of my list, now I guess I'm down to Santa Chiara or Portoghesi. I had read a complaint on trip advisor about Santa Chiara turning their air off at night. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks so much!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Before you book, just wanted to weigh in. We stayed at the Albergo Santa Chiara about three years ago. We adored our location, certainly liked our rooms, and felt the breakfast was pretty good ,and while I can't remember what we paid, I'm pretty sure it was a relatively good deal for the room size, convenience, etc.

That said, when it came time to book this year, I did not even look at the pricing at the Santa Chiara. The location was exactly what we wanted again. I just didn't want my memories of Rome to be impacted by any negativity.

Why? During our previous stay at Santa Chiara, the front desk was, to say the very least, unhelpful. I know just enough Italian to understand the insults the desk help muttered to each other when any non-native speaker happened to ask simple questions. The first two times it happened with some very poor polite souls, I thought I must be mistaken because the desk help kept half smiles on their faces or were directing their faces elsewhere while muttering. But we were there a week, and by the last day, I was pretty darn sure what I was hearing. Let me just say that I avoided asking them any questions.

In the following years, it was interesting to note that I would see reviews on various sites with statements similar to this phrasing... "great location and room; strangely unwelcoming desk."

Anyway, last spring, I just didn't bother looking at Santa Chiara. We were under budget for the rest of the trip, so I had the family take a vote on how we spent the moula for our last night and we ended up at the del Senato. Same location--really wonderful people at the desk. Pricey.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight. I have noticed many comments about the lack of hospitality of the front desk at the Santa Chiara. It is really too bad as otherwise seems to really suit our needs. We are leaving Rome for a week in very pricey Positano so trying not to break the bank in Rome. I would love the del Senato based on all the reviews, but 310E seems really high for a 3 star hotel. Does anybody have have differing impressions of the front desk staff at the Santa Chiara?
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:36 PM

I certainly do not intend to disqualify the comments of josephina. As for personal experience, while staying at Santa Chiara, we have experienced gracious and attentive service. The front desk personnel was eager to assist with wake up service, walking directions, dinner reservations, and calling a taxi for transport to the train station. I do not recall needing the assistance of front desk clerk for anything else. Of course, we do not speak Italian and would not have understood, or noticed, any comments. Since we visited in early October, the air conditioning was a non-issue, but perhaps you could e-mail the hotel and ask them directly.

Anna Roz
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:26 AM

Hi Kari,

I am planning to stay at the Cesari in June 2007, and thought the construction would be finished by then. Did they mention exactly what was left to do?

Good luck with your search! I may need to begin searching again too!!!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:31 AM

We very much liked Hotel Due Torri -- not very far from the Portoghesi, where we'd stayed before, and very much in the historic center. The staff were pleasant and efficient (no muttering!). They were very helpful in fixing small problems, too -- our air conditioning briefly stopped working, and it was fixed within the hour. Also the owner -- a very slim, glam, sophisticated Roman lady visited the hotel often, I seemed to remember that she kissed us goodbye!

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

The Cesari indicated that most of the construction was finished, but that they are still working on the outside facade and on the rooftop garden. One traveler wrote that there was scafolding outside of his window, but he did receive a discount on his room. Hope this is helpful.
We have also read good things about the Due Torri. Might have to check into it more.
Anna, thanks so much for your comments. I'm trying to decide how much I care about the front desk staff. It's just that I'm planning this trip for us and another couple and I want everyone to be happy. I guess I just have to take a leap and be happy with my decision.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:03 AM

i haven't stayed here yet, but we booked a room at the argentina residenza. It seems pretty updated and the location is very central (2 or so blocks from Piazza Navona). The reviews look pretty positive so far...but I can't speak for myself, yet.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Kari:

Even though I reported the weird attitude of the front desk (and my husband just reminded me that they did NOT turn on the air conditioning during our spring stay on the hot days), I also have to state that you won't be in your room or hanging at the front desk for 99% of your waking hours.

I cannot speak enough for the location.

Anna Roz: I want to compliment you on your posting phrasing. What wonderful posting manners you have! Glad you're here.

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Josephina,
Good point! I had already emailed them about the a/c. Of course, they responded that they had air. I'm just not sure if they run it regularly. I, too, am very drawn to their location and when in Rome it is location, location, location!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the update about the construction in June. I'm now wondering if I should chance staying there, since it wasn't all that inexpensive!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Again, I urge you to check www.reservationitaly.com for their rates on Hotel Ponte Sisto. They have other Rome hotels also, but I wanted the location of Ponte Sisto. Haven't been yet--our trip is in December when air conditioning is not an issue--but it's a Fodor's Choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -