Naples train stations. Which one to use?

Mar 13th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Sherry

Naples train stations. Which one to use?

We will drop our car at the Naples airport and will take the train into Rome.
Our car was rented through Auto Europe, but the rental is with Europcar and they only have a drop off at the airport in Naples.
We will take a taxi to the train station, but I am confused. When I look at the schedules on Trentalia, it lists two Naples stations. Both offer IC service to Rome.
We want to take advantage of the 10 Euro fare since we will travel on a Saturday it is offered.
Can someone help? Is a taxi a good way to get to either, or the better of the two?
Thanks.

Mar 13th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Steve James

Hello Sherry!

Napoli Centrale is nearer the airport than Mergellina, - only about 20 mins. by taxi. There's a frequent direct bus service, too, which doesn't take much longer and costs about 2 EUROS I think.

Have a great holiday!

Steve

Mar 13th, 2002, 06:48 AM
GAC

From the Naples Airport, go to the Napoli Centrale Train Station , either by taxi or by public bus. On the train schedules, some trains will be listed as departing from Napoli Centrale, others from Napoli Piazza Garibaldi. These are really the same station, except that Piazza Garibaldi is one level below ground. Either way, get off in the Piazza Garibaldi and enter the Station from the ground floor entrances. Don't take the train from Napoli Mergellina, which is a totally different station way across town. Many trains departing from Napoli Piazza Garibaldi Station will stop briefly at Napoli Mergellina before proceeding northbound (they cross the city underground). Trains departing from Napoli Centrale usually won't stop at Napoli Mergellina.

Mar 13th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Sherry

You guys are the best! Now one more thing. I really do not understand why this confuses me so much.
We will go into Rome Termini. This I understand. But, I was thinking that we might want to go to the Travestere stop. I have only ever traveled from FCO to Termini and switched trains to Florence. And I have never traveled on an Intercity train (which I intend to do) just the Eurostar.
Do trains from the Termini go beyond it to different stops? If they do, would there be an advantage to take it to the Travestere stop if that is possible. Or does this mean changing trains and catching a new one. We are staying very close to the Tiber and that section. Thanks again.

Mar 13th, 2002, 09:29 AM
GAC

When you arrive at Roma Termini from Naples, you will need to take the local commuter train on to Trastevere Station. No train from Naples goes direct to Trastevere!! This takes merely 14 minutes, and departures are every 30 minutes. Schedules on www.trenitalia.com When you purchase your Naples to Rome ticket, specify that your final destination is Roma Trastevere Station (changing at Termini). That way, you will be given a through ticket (at no additional cost, I think).

Mar 13th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Sherry

Thanks GAC. Sorry about the goof on the spelling of Trastevere.

Mar 13th, 2002, 09:35 AM
GAC

The Eurostar train is more modern and a little faster than the Intercity train. There are no separate compartments, as on the Intercity. Seat reservations are now mandatory on all Eurostars, and highly recommended on Intercity trains between Naples and Rome, particularly in second class. Bear in mind that some of these trains originate in Sicily or Southern Italy, and are apt to be quite full by the time they reach Naples. As this is a two hour journey, you don't want to get stuck on the Intercity standing in the corridor, sitting in the stairwell, or crunched against the restroom door!!!! On the Intercity train, I suggest reserving seats in First Class, to avoid the crowds. You'll find that the air conditioning functions better when there are fewer people in the rail cars.

Mar 13th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Sherry

The trip from Naples to Rome will be at the end of our stay in Italy. I intend to purchase these tickets at the beginning of our trip. I thought ten days advance purchase would enable us to get the tickets at the 10 Euro special price which would be nice, but not vital.
I noticed by the Trentalia schedule, that the travel time difference is not much between the Eurostar and Intercity for this trip.
If no first class tickets are available, because with the special they may be all sold out, we will just do the Eurostar. I frankly would like to get the experience of both trains and the great price is a little added bonus.
I don't really know if this will be considered two segments, since we hope to do Naples-Termini-Trastevere. But I guess I am about to find out.
I really do not think I will consider sitting in the aisle for the two hour trip. That is why I am trying to plan ahead.
Thank you so much. Any other tips are greatly appreciated.
We are only doing this because I do not want to consider returning the car to FCO, which would be the easiest, and going all the way back into Rome. And I am not brave enough to drive in Rome, YET.

Mar 13th, 2002, 10:36 AM
GAC

I assume that you plan to travel from Naples to Rome on one of the Saturdays in April or May when the special fare is offered. Good planning. A ten-day lead time for purchasing the tickets and reserving the seats may or may not be enough for first class seats. I expect that many people will take advantage of this sale, particularly for long-distance journeys such as Sicily to Rome (passing of course through Naples), where the savings is huge. If your desired departure time is sold out, you can always choose the Eurostar instead (for which the special fare does not apply), or leave Naples on a different Intercity at a different time (if seats are available). I myself find the Eurostars a bit more pleasant (the seating resembles that on airlines, with a central corridor), at least for trips during the day. In first class on the Eurostar, there is also complimentary beverage service (non-alcoholic) with cookies/peanuts and Italian newspapers, just like on airplanes. Not so on the Intercity! Some people prefer the more traditional separate compartments on the Intercity because the glass doors can be closed, giving occupants more privacy, silence, and a cooler area if the a/c is working satisfactorily. The trenitalia website does not give a price for the Termini to Trastevere segment, probably because it is equivalent to a regular metro ticket (under 1 Euro). If you end up taking the Intercity from Naples, be certain that you are given a SEAT ASSIGNMENT (preferably in the non-smoking section). I suspect that Italian Railways will continue selling space even after seats are sold out (this is not supposed to happen on Eurostars, but is extremely common on Intercitys).

Mar 13th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Sherry

So, if they continue to sell tickets even after all of the seats are sold out, how do they know when they maxed out the standing room? I can see what you mean about a seat assignment. If we cannot get a seat assignment, I am not even going to attempt buying a ticket for the Intercity...10 Euro fare or not. Not worth it. I just lucked out that we happen to be traveling the Saturday in May that the special is offered.

Mar 13th, 2002, 11:38 AM
GAC

They don't!!!! I am not sure what Italian Railways will do on Saturday, May 11, but I can tell you that, on all other occasions, when you purchase a ticket on an Intercity train WITHOUT a seat reservation, you are merely buying the right to travel on AN Intercity train between two designated cities (not necessarily THE Intercity of your choice). This means you can take a later Intercity if your first choice appears overcrowded. Or you can get off the train at an intermediate stop and board a later one: obviously, a terrible idea, particularly when traveling with suitcases! Or you can sweat it out and stand in the corridor (sometimes like a sardine) or sit in the stairwell or stand cornered against the restroom door! This happens all the time. So, you are VERY wise to avoid the Intercity train UNLESS you can get reserved seats! Particularly on Saturday May 11th! Don't worry, either way, you'll get to Rome, and it will be an enjoyable trip. Good luck!

Mar 13th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Sherry

GAC. I am not taking a chance. If there is not a seat reservation, I take the Eurostar. I have a Scavi tour scheduled that day at 3:00 and I do not want to miss it. Can't take the tour on the 12th as it is a Sunday and they are closed. And we leave Rome on the 13th Monday, a.m. So I am really thankful you mentioned the seat reservation as I cannot afford to be waiting for another and then another train.

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:37 PM
carol

Sherry,

Why in heaven's name do you want to go to the Trastevere train station in Rome? Unless it's right near your hotel, I can't imagine why you'd do it. Trastevere is a marvelous part of Rome and so easy to reach by bus from central Rome.