Naples Train Station to Capri Ferry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the distance from the Naples train station to the ferries that take you to Capri? Would you take a taxi there or other transportation?

Thanks. You guys are always so helpful!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:19 AM

I can't remember the distant (as always had a car), but I would take a taxi Dejais. Have fun, and enjoy beautiful Capri!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:32 AM

If I remember correctly it is only about 200-300 yards. Not far at all.

David
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 11:17 AM

From Napoli Centrale to Molo Beverello is about 2.5 km. Since last November, there is a tram service: take the no.1 tram from the other end of Piazza Garibaldi, the square in front of the station; tickets must be bought in advance and are also valid on buses. If you don't know Napoli or have luggage, a taxi would be the best option.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Make sure that you buy a bus ticket inside the station! Stamp the ticket when inside of the bus. Also, on the way back - walk two blocks up from the docks and catch the number 4 bus back to the bus station.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:08 PM

We'll be doing this is reversed order: coming off the ferry with our luggage, needing to get to the train station. Should we expect taxis to be waiting at the ferry dock? Are there "unofficial" taxis we need to be aware of?
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:49 PM

Taxis will be waiting for sure. They are like vultures. We were surprised how aggressive people were in Naples, especially the taxi drivers. Check that the taxi has a working meter before you take off, the station isn't far at all. You could also walk a block and get a bus if you like.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:15 AM

We waited for quite awhile for the bus from the airport to Molo Beverello. While cheap (couple of euros) the traffic was so bad that it took us an hour to travel the distance . I don't think a taxi would be any faster though because of the horrendous traffic. Napoli drivers have to be the worst in the world. No rules!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:55 AM

I took the bus, which was quite easy, and took about 10 minutes or so, after a 5 minute walk to get to the busstop.

I must say that I disagree on Naples drivers, they are extremely skilled, otherwise you would see many accidents. Just don't expect them to slow down for pedestrians (ha ha)
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Hi bellastar, that is a good description of the drivers in Naples!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:28 PM

Thanks all. More questions, though: after getting off the ferry, where can we get bus tickets? Are directions to the bus stop clearly marked? Will we need tickets for our luggage? We'll each just have a 22" roller.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Do you mean when you get off the train? Bus tickets are available at "tabacchi" shops-
I did this with a small rolling suitcase also.
You just go out of the train station and head straight across the parking area, then along about a block and a half ahead- you'll see the bus stop. Ask for "Beverello" to make sure you are on the right bus, (I asked a local woman to help me out and she was very friendly and pointed out the bus to me)

Thanks, Loveitaly, for the compliment!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:21 PM

Actually, we'll be coming off the ferry, wanting to go TO the train station. If the bus doesn't go directly to the train station, though, we may just skip the hassle and grab a taxi. Thanks, though.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Joycelynn, personally when returning from Capri I would take a taxi. I do not like to spend more money then necessary but also do not like aggreviations then necessary either.

Just make sure the taxi is a metered taxi and the price is agreed upon before you hire it.

Bellastar, Italian drivers, IMHO are very compentent drivers. But mama mia, be careful crossing streets, LOL. Take good care.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Jocelyn - From the ferry just cross to the tram stop (100m) in the middle of the road. It's No.1 - as Geoff says.

Get your ticket (- approx € 1.00)from the harbourside kiosk and validate it on boarding.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:37 PM

Dejais, after disembarking the ferry there is a small free standing newspaper and sundry items kiosk, towards the left end of the ferry berths which sells bus tickets, However, if you have luggage etc I would opt for a taxi for the convenience. There is a taxi stand adjacent to the road way and to the right of the kiosk. From memory the metered fare was about 14 Euro
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM

JocelynP - where are you going by train? I once met someone who took the ferry from Capri to Naples when he was actually going to Sorrento and could have taken the ferry directly to Sorrento from Capri.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Toncoop,

We're actually going to Rome. I was confused though, and we will probably do a different plan altogether. At one point we'd planned on staying in Capri for a couple nights, but now we're back to the original plan of staying in Positano and just daytripping to Capri. Since we'll be coming from Positano, we'll probably take the ferry to Salerno, then train to Rome from there.

Thanks, and apologies to Dejais for hijacking his thread!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Where are you staying in Positano?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:25 PM

ourjetboat,

We'll have 7 glorious nights at the Villa Rosa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -