Reload this Page >

Naples Train Station Robbery Alert

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Sonia

We just returned from our trip through Switzerland and Italy. Last Friday, 7/20, we came through the Naples Train Station arriving from Florence. We had two large pieces of luggage and a carry on bag. I had just put my small purse inside the carry on bag, thinking it would be safer. We were immediately approached by two men. They were asking if we were going to Sorrento. We said "yes" and they started to tell us how to go and when the next train left. I already had the information (thanks to these boards) and we told them we knew and continue to walk. We didn't really know what they wanted and I decided they might be taxi drivers hoping to convince us to ride with them, but they never really said that. We continued down to the bottom level and purchased the tickets to Sorrento. We went down to the proper bin and sat on a bench. We had the two large pieces of luggage between us. Unfortunately, my husband put the carry on bag next to his right foot. As people were getting off the train, he glanced to the left and within seconds looked back and the bag was gone. He remembers a woman sat down next to him, a little too close, looking back now. He jumped up and starting running up the stairs we had come down. Of course, it was too late and they had probably gone up the stairs on the other side anyway. Everything was in that bag, passports, my purse with credit cards and drivers license, airlines ticket, cash, gold chains we had bought for our boys in Florence. The list goes on. We ran back upstairs and looked for a police officer. We were eventually taken to the police office in the station where we struggled to communicate and fill out the proper forms. There was one officer that could speak some English and was very helpful and sympathetic. We asked if they could put on the line with the US Consulate. It was Friday and the Consulate was about to close. We were able to finish the Police report and get to the consulate. Thankfully, they stayed late to get the passports replaced for us. The consulate was great and we are grateful they were willing to stay as we would not have been able to fly out on Monday morning. <BR> <BR>It was a horrible experience and it basically ruined the last three days of our trip. We had to rebuy our airlines tickets. I just want to warn anyone traveling to please be on alert at all times. We thought we were being careful but it only takes a second. We feel we were targeted the minute we got off the train and followed. We are blond and obvious tourists. Like most people, we thought we were careful, it is so easy to let down your guard for an instance, and that is all it takes. I just hope that our stupidity will help prevent this from happening to someone else. We love Italy. The police officer asked us to please not think all Italians are like this and look badly on Italy. I know that this can happen anywhere and does. Don't let it happen to you, please be careful and learn from our mistake.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Katherine

I'm absolutely crazy about Italy and go as frequently as I can and have never had any problems with these things..... EXCEPT at the Naples train station! The police try to patrol but it is notorious for pick pockets and gypsies. Never for one moment leave anything loose and don't talk to anyone. Especially if you are transitioning to the Circumvesuvius.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Mel

Sonia: I am SO sorry that you went through this. I could actually FEEL your panic and sadness. Your story is more important than all the "will you or won't you" get your pockets picked in Europe threads that have cropped up on this board lately. If this post dies I hope you'll share this awful story again when the "theft" question pops up again--perhaps there can be some consolation in letting it save another traveler.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 04:00 PM
CoorsLight

This is very important info, and I am so sorry that happened to you. The southern european countries can be dangerous. There was another post about the dangers of Spain. Spain, Turkey, Italy and Portugal can be very if not extremely dangerous, be careful. <BR>How did you manage for three days without money and credit cards? <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 04:18 PM
dick

Sorry to hear of your problems but you are a very nice person to include the positive aspects of this unfortunate situation. I'll be doing the same transfer as you soon and I'll be sure to pack valuables safely under my clothes. <BR> <BR>Things have a way of balancing out. I'm sure you'll have good fortune in the future and the other people, well .....

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:27 PM
marge

As I read your post all I could say was OH! NO! <BR> <BR>I agree with Mel we all need to be reminded here. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:34 AM
DJ

Topping