Search

naples to sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
rml
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
naples to sorrento

taking train from Rome to Naples but not sure about transportation from Naples to Sorrento

- read other post that from Naples train station you can walk out front door get cab (15 euros) to the ferry port & take ferry to Sorrento (they did not give price on ferry)
then you get on bus from port to middle of town in Sorrento.
or
- train from Naples to Sorrento..there are so many posts mentioning the pick pockets

i am traveling on a Sunday in Sept. does ferry run on Sunday and does anyone know if there is a website with ferry sched info also if there is a website for the train from Naples to Sorrento.
thanks

Old Jun 12th, 2010, 12:23 AM

Hi Rml - You can find the timetable for the Naples-Sorrento (- Circumvesuviana) train at -

www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm

Trains run every half hour, ferries only run about every 2 hrs.
So train is the quickest/most convenient public transport option.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 12:25 AM

We caught the train from Naples to Sorrento and didn't have a problem with pick pockets. Keep you wits about you as you go from one section of the train station to the other and you should be fine. The signs from the main station to the 'circumvesuviano' (sp) are really obvious and you can just buy a ticket near the platform. Can't help with the ferry transport, sorry.

I hope you enjoy Sorrento, we did and used it as a base to visit Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. We arrived there pretty wrecked after a 24 hour flight from Sydney and then racing around Rome for 5 days. Sorrento was a nice change of pace.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 12:26 AM

You have different options:
1) Private car from Naples station to Sorrento (www.autoservizidemartino.com/), you take about 70 minutes and the cost is 70,00 € appr.

2) "Circumvesuviana" train leaving from one floor below naples station, where you're going to arrive. Check here the schedulethe fastest train takes 50 minutes and you pay about 4 € per person)
http://servizi.vesuviana.it/Orari/in...3&cod_orario=1

3)I wouldn't suggest to take the ferry, because you need at least 2 taxi (one from Nap stat. to Nap. port and another from Sorrento port to your hotel)
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:04 AM

That sounds like my post about the taxi/ferry option you are quoting. I think we paid 11E for the ferry but I could be off by a Euro. It is definitely more expensive than the train option but a very pretty ride.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 04:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We've been to Sorrento twice, took the commuter train and never had a problem with anybody on the train. Not been in a few years.

Since the station is a local commuter station, many trains are always coming and going. That was the only issue since the trains didn't have route signs on them.

It took a while to realize that there's a flashing digital board on each platform beside the track. About a minute before the train arrives it flashes the route. Make sure it says Sorrento. That's it.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:26 PM
rml
Original Poster

want to thank everyone for suggestions...thanks!!
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Circumvesuviana is as easy as can be.