Search

Naples, Italyi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples, Italyi

DH and I will be going to Naples sometime next spring to visit our son and his family. I don't even know where to start to plan sightseeing. Our DIL said they just did a USO sponsored tour of the Vatican for much less than the prices I've seen on the Internet for other tour groups. Hopefully, that will be an option for us when we go.

I also want to see Pompeii and so many other places I can't even remember them all. I know I won't be able to visit them all in ten days.

So, what do others suggest for Italian must sees using Naples as home base? We do have some HH points we can use for hotel stays. We are not time sharing so are not confined in that regard. I might be able to squeeze some vacation dollars for local hotels if a Hilton property is not available.

Any tour guide recommendations? We don't want to rent a car. We don't speak Italian. I plan to try to learn some between now and then but the old brain just doesn't retain as much these days.

Many thanks for your insights and suggestions.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 03:50 AM

Here's how we spent a week in Naples:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-and-paris.cfm
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Book your tour for the Vatican on the Vatican's website. If you don't want a tour, book entry only tickets. Both let you skip the long ticket lines. You will have to wait until next year as booking isn't available for that time yet.

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...zi_Visite.html

Do you have 10 days in addition to the time you are spending with family in Naples?

If you will be using public transport in Naples and along the coast, I would buy the Campania Artecard Tutta La Regione 3 day pass for 27€. It gives you three days of transport (metro/tram/bus/local trains) all the way to Positano/Amalfi/Paestum and two free entrances of sites with discounts at others. The 7 day card does not include transport.
http://www.campaniartecard.it/
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 11:37 AM
kja

Have you consulted any guide books? I think you'll find more than enough to enjoy in the area and also find that it will be easy to manage on your own. It's a great city. Enjoy!
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
mmm - methinks that Andrew is advertising.

funny first post if he isn't.

abynes - ideally you will leave yourselves some time at the end of your stay in Naples to see Rome - and fly home from there if you can.

to see the Vatican museums, you can book a tour through the Vatican website, book a tour through a private provider like contextRome, book tickets [without a tour] through the Vatican website or [least recommended] just turn up and queue for tickets.

ideally you should leave yourselves at least 5 days to see Rome at the end of your trip.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 09:39 AM

I see your only other post says that, "In our last trip to Rome Livorno and Naples, we select Rudy’s private tours".... so you'll perhaps already know some of the places shown here, but they're all easy done as daytrips by public transport....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

.... if you're not using Rudy again?

Peter