Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

NAPLES Hotels...questions about two possibilities

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In researching hotels in Naples for a visit next spring these two places sound appealing for location and moderate price; I wonder if anyone has experience with these, or cares to recommend a personal favorite.

Palazzo Alabardieri (Via Alabardieri, Chiaia)

Pinto-Storey (Via G. Martucci, Chiaia)

Constinapoli 104 gets good reviews but the Spaccanapoli location sounds less desirable...any opinions on this..??

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 01:28 PM
ira

Hi ek,

>Spaccanapoli location sounds less desirable...<

When we were in Naples in 2003, we stayed in the Spacannapoli area. We found it very interesting.

What is worrying you?

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Ira, The area is a bit seedy at night as I remember it. And I want to be able to walk to restaurants at night without fear.
What do you feel would be the advantage of staying in Spaccanapoli over staying in Chiaia, other than that the former is closer to the Archeological Museum? Chiaia sounds a bit nicer..
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Hi ekscrunchy,

I'm the one always recommending the Pinto Storey. I loved the location and neighborhood. It's just across the small Piazza Amadeus from the metro stop of the same name. I was happy with the hotel, had everything I needed and in Sept 05 looked newly renovated.

Only negative was that I had to wait for the front desk guy to show up in the morning to check out. No one else could help and he finally got there about 9am after a 30 minute wait.

I did leave my suitcase with them while I went off to the Arch Museum for the morning. No problem.

Some great shopping about one street over from the hotel. All the designers' shops.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Was there a few years ago and stayed at The Partenope B+B which was wonderful.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you...Dayle, I remember your reports. The Pinto looks good and gets good reviews from others in TA as well. We put a lot of emphasis on being close to good eating...it looks like the hotel is well located for that, correct? We will likely have to leave early on the (Sunday) morning of checkout in order to get to the airport, so I would make sure to let the front desk know the day before!!

Any comments on the Palazzo Alabardieri?

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:28 AM
ira

Hi ek,

>The area is a bit seedy at night as I remember it. <

As is true of all of Naples.

We stayed on Via S. M Costantinopoli in a hotel that is no longer ther, that shared a courtyard with Costanttinopoli 104.

You are not only close to the Museum, you are close to Piazza Dante, Via Toledo, Via Tribunali, the Capella Sansevero and the Pizza Bellini (great resto).

We had no concerns about walking in the area at night, as it was full of people, reasonably well lighted and had a heavy police presence.

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:51 AM

We stayed last year at the Hotel Executive on the edge of the Spaccanapoli area/historic centre. I spent a lot of time researching hotel locations, including buying a large scale street map of Naples, as I also had concerns about location v. safety. I wanted to be central and within a short walk of most of the sights, the Teatro San Carlo, buses and ideally the port (since we were going to move on to Ischia). I was very pleased with my choice & it ticked all the boxes. It's very close to a main bus interchange, 5 minutes walk from the 2nd & final stop for the express airport bus & a 10 minute walk to the port.

I think the main area to avoid is the eastern part of the historic centre near the central railway station on piazza Garibaldi.

We did go to Chiaia and it is very pleasant but to me it is too far out - I liked being able to wander round the historic centre and eat there at night. We never felt unsafe.

Here's a link to my trip report in case it's useful - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34830452

As for the archaelogical museum, to me it was OK but by no means the most interesting place we visited.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Caroline thanks. I will read your report again. I do remember that is is an excellent one. We will probably spend only one or, at most, two nights in Naples at the end of the trip since we will have to reach the airport early on a Sunday morning. If we like the city as much as both of you, I can plan another visit in the future...

Caroline, I had an unsettling experience with crime in Palermo, a city that I know you love; I guess this has spooked me a little about returning to Naples. Perhaps this is silly because I live in Manhattan and travel all over the globe! Would you say that Chiaia is not wallking distance from Spaccanapoli (or the Via Toledo?)

Ira I do remember your report and the part about the hotel which you did not like very much for the price.. I keep seeing mention of the Albergo Sansevero; I thought that was where you stayed..

We like to eat at the SlowFood places so I will take a look and see where those are located and take this into account about the hotel.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

BTW: I took another look at the reviews on the Constantinopoli 104 Hotel and they also look really enticing...
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Ekscrunchy,

Unfortunately I was only in Naples for 1 nt and tried to find a restaurant recommended by the hotel. Couldn't find it, so I ducked into a pizzeria down the street. It was fabulous and I was the only tourist.

Would love to return for a few days!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:38 AM
SRS

I would totally stay at the Constantinopoli 104! If you look for my report, I wrote about it.

We stayed there last summer and loved it! It's inside an inner courtyard, so it won't feel seedy at all. In fact it feels so safe and cosy.

We loved being right near the Spaccanapoli because we liked being in the thick of things. There are several really good restaurants right near the hotel too.

A less expensive option is Portalba 33. If you google, it should come up. We conisered it too, but were thrilled with Constantinopoli.

Have a fun trip!
Sally
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Sally that is good to hear...I guess I am doing an about face; will look for your report and re-consider the Constinapoli 104. Thanks!

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Sally I read your report and now have more enthusiasm for Naples. The hotel sounds excellent!

I fear I may have the same reaction that you did about Amalfi..I found Taormina beautiful but just too tourist-oriented for more than a day or two at most...hopefully we will avoid some of the crush by going early in the season..mid-April is looking like a good time, espeically since we do not care about the beach..

Many thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:29 AM
SRS

We really really loved Naples. I want to go back and spend a whole week there. There seem to be tons of things to do and see. And we found the food fantastic and the people friendly. There is a seedy side burbling around it, but we stayed in the thick of of things and didn't get too adventuresome on foot at night. It was really a surprise highlight. And the Constantinopoli while a bit pricey was completely and absolutely worth it! When we go there, we want to stay there again.

Have a fun trip!
Sally
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:38 AM

I'll be in Naples in September..I'm staying on via Sapienza (a few blocks from the Piazza Cavour metro). How's the area?

Thanks, folks.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:26 AM
ira

>I keep seeing mention of the Albergo Sansevero; I thought that was where you stayed..<

It was.

It is no longer in operation.

It was the one that shared the courtyard worth Costantinopoli 104.

I have that down as the place we will stay when we revisit Naples.

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Odd, as there are two hotels by that name listed in the brand-new Cadogan guide and three hotels on the hotel's own website with "Sansevero" in the name!

No matter, anyway..
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Ekscrunchy,

I can't wait for your trip report! My next Italian trip will be to Sicily and the Aeolian Islands. I'm debating on either April/May or Sept. Spring would be nice for the green and flowers, Sept for the probably nicer weather and warmer ocean temps without the summer crowds......
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Dayle, I can't wait to go..it seems like a long time from now. I think both of those times would be great. We went to Sicily a few years ago in early May (had planned to go in March but I had to postpone due to surgery). It was too cold to swim but other than that, weather was perfect...

A friend of mine who knows Salina well (and was married there) just raves and raves about the island...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information