Naples and Sicily too much?

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Ruth

Naples and Sicily too much?

We are planning a trip to southern Italy in November and are deciding on an itinerary. I don't want to jump around too much as I like to try and soak up the flavor of the towns we are in, but also want to see as much of beautifu Italy as possible. We have 2 weeks and are thinking of 2 nights in Rome (been there before and love it), 2 nights in Naples, day trip to Pompeii - 4 nights on the Amalfi Coast, 1 night in Capri and 4 nights in Sicily. Does this seem like a reasonable agenda, or should we leave Sicily for another trip? Thanks for your help. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Linda

Personally, Ruth, I think you're trying to do too much. Sicily deserves more than 4 nights, and Naples certainly deserves more than 2, especially if you are planning a day trip to Pompeii during your stay there. (With 2 nights you actually only have about 1 1/2 days. One-half to one day for Pompeii leaves, at most, one day, and presumably 1/2 of that will be taken up with the Archeological Museum. <BR> <BR>I'd leave Sicily for another trip, when you can spend more time, and move them to Naples and the Amalfi coast. <BR> <BR>Alternatively, I'd skip Amalfi and Capri completely and move them to Sicily and Naples. Actually, the second suggestion is probably best, especially since you are visiting in November. Though the weather is still pleasant, you'll lose much of the flavor of these beautiful places. Eating dinner in an outdoor cafe in the piazza, watching people walking by and sipping a glass of wine, will be very unenjoyable if you are freezing. Also, many restaurants will be closed after November 1st. If you move 2 nights to Naples and 3 to Sicily, you will be happier, I believe. You'll be able to see more of each location and visit more of the remarkable sights in each place. <BR> <BR>If you want more hints of things to do in the Naples area, please feel free to e-mail me.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Roma

Ruth I would skip Sicily this time. there is just too much to see in each of these places. Take your time and start planning your nxt trip to Sicily. <BR> <BR>Listen to Linda who gave you some great suggestions

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:38 PM
JB

I love Capri but would definitely tell you to leave it off your list this time...but only because you are going in November (and I think it deserves more than one day). I am guessing that at that time of year the island would only pale in comparison to what it is in, say, spring or summer when the whole island is abloom with flowers (and tourists - you need to hit it during the week in fringe season!) And I can't even imagine how choppy the Bay of Naples would be in November. Makes my stomach churn just thinking about it!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 03:28 AM
Ruth

Thanks to all for your advice. Maybe we will just do Sicily and save Naples and the Amalfi Coast for a separate trip a little earlier in the year. Or see if we can squeak out another week of vacation time and do the whole thing: )