Search

Naples

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2021, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples

I'll be spending three days in Naples and environs next month. Can anyone help with the following?

I'll be looking for a place to stay on fairly short notice, as I don't yet know which three days I'll be there - it depends on the weather. I'll be commuting to Pompeii and Herculaneum, so I need somewhere convenient to the train station, either on foot or by Metro. I also plan to visit the Museo Archeologico and the Cappella San Severo. What areas meeting that description and convenient to restaurants and those sights would you recommend for hotel-hunting? I'm guessing that the immediate vicinity of the train station is probably not desirable. I'll be shooting for somewhere around 100 euros a night. If you have a reco, that would be great, but I'm most interested in what areas to steer toward or away from.

Any recommendations for great restaurants? I've heard wonderful things about the food in Naples.

Old Aug 5th, 2021, 11:20 PM

This is my trip report which contains a section on Naples:

Trip Report: Rome, Naples, Pistoia (Florence) and Zurich, May 2011

Prices undoubtedly changed since 2011. The view from our room:

https://flic.kr/p/a3gBSL
contained in this photo album:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvhZKSv
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 06:40 AM

Hotel Piazza Bellini or its environs
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 07:26 AM

Here to second Hotel Piazza Bellini. We had a great stay there in 2012 and it is super close to the Museo Archeologico and a short cab ride from the train station. The hotel can recommend good places to eat in the vicinity.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same suggestion.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 10:28 AM

I like Naples and have stayed there a couple of times, but if I were going again, and given the fact that you are going to Herculaneum and Pompeii, I would stay in Ercolano, the town above Herculaneum. There are some lovely hotels and BnBs very, very close (5 or 10 minute walking distance) to the ruins. The rail station to get to Pompeii is a short walk and it is a short ride; about 15 minutes as I recall without checking. There are many restaurants and the ones I stopped in were very, very good. Look at booking.com for Ercolano.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 10:38 AM

Another fan of Hotel Bellini here! Very close to the Metro where you can get the train to Pompeii and Herculaneum. Plus it’s very close to the Archeological museum.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Wow, a lot of love for Hotel Bellini! I will check it out.

Is there still a deposito bagagli in the Naples train station? I haven't been there for 20 years. If I consider staying in Ercolano, I will need to drop my luggage off on the last morning so I can go tour Naples.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

How interesting, Hotel Bellini's website doesn't work to check availability - I tried two browsers. They are on Booking, though.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by artsnletters
How interesting, Hotel Bellini's website doesn't work to check availability - I tried two browsers. They are on Booking, though.
I booked through their website for October - perhaps you didn’t find it, but it’s there:
https://www.hotelpiazzabellini.com/en

1) Scroll down to link that says “Visit our rooms”
2) Scroll down to link that says “Check availability and book”
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm, that's not what I'm seeing. What I see on the right side of the screen is this:

It will let me change the number of guests, but not the dates, and the Check Availability button doesn't do anything.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see what you show in your screenshot, artsnletters, and checking availability worked for me on Chrome. I just tried.

ETA: looks like there's plenty of availability in September, so you could just email the hotel if you can't get the website to work for you for some reason.

Last edited by Leely2; Aug 6th, 2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leely2
I see what you show in your screenshot, artsnletters, and checking availability worked for me on Chrome. I just tried.

ETA: looks like there's plenty of availability in September, so you could just email the hotel if you can't get the website to work for you for some reason.
I'll do that. I tried Chrome and Edge. When I disconnected my proxy server, it let me change the dates, but it still didn't check availability. Email sounds like the way to go.
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 12:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
clear cookies
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 02:34 AM

I’m on Safari on my iPad
and this is page 1:

Page 2:

Old Aug 7th, 2021, 07:02 AM

Another vote for Hotel Piazza Bellini, I stayed there 2 years ago, You are right in the Centro but I felt totally safe and amidst all the action. Easy walk to the National Archeology Museum and restaurants galore all around. The train station is an easy cab or Uber trip. While you wont’ get it for 100 euro, my room had a large outdoor balcony with a fantastic view of Mount Vesuvius,
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 01:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are going to Pompeii and Herculaneum once each and still staying in Naples, I would buy the 3 day Campania Artecard that includes transport (Naples metro and Circumveusviana train to Herculaneum/Pompeii/Sorrento). It's 32€ and the first two site entrances are free. After your two free entrances, you get a discounted entrance price for other sites. The Museo Archeologico entrance fee is 15€ as is Pompeii so if you use those as your first two sites, you've pretty much gotten the value of the pass. Herculaneum is a bit cheaper I think (13?). It doesn't include the Express train on that Naples/Sorrento line, but the regular train is not much time difference. I bought mine in the Naples train station one level down. I don't know if covid has changed that.

https://www.campaniartecard.it/campania-3-days/?lang=en
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 09:47 PM

We have reservations at Bellini in October as well and I am happy to hear of these reports! We reserved through Booking.com.
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Anyone know if there is still a left luggage service at the Naples train station?
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 09:04 AM

https://www.stowyourbags.com/en/shop...ntral-station/

You can ask here. It is a short walk to the station.