Name a favorite Rome experience...

Sep 10th, 2019, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Name a favorite Rome experience...

other than St. Peter’s Basilica and the Colosseum! I trust Fodorite’s opinions! Thank you.
Sep 10th, 2019, 08:07 PM

I enjoyed staying, dining, and walking around in Trastevere. Also the Monti neighborhood, where you can take a 2 hour classic mosaic class and leave with a small Roman-style mosaic you've made.

At the Vatican we did the After-hours tour. Way more than I'd usually spend, but well worth it -- I took my four sisters on the tour and years later it's still a most special memory. Same trip one of my sisters and I had a spritz on the rooftop terrace/bar at Albergo del Senato, adjacent to the Pantheon. Amazing views and experience.

Finally, on a different trip I made time for the Borghese gallery and was so glad I did.
Sep 10th, 2019, 08:09 PM

I'm not much of a "tour" person, but I took two in Rome that I really enjoyed. We were there in October and it was HOT. I can't imagine what it must be like in summer.

Anyway, one was a summer night tour (via bus) that took us to iconic locations lit up at night. The Trevi fountain was simply crazy and so hot but it was great to be there. Also the Piazza Navona.

Another afternoon tour I enjoyed was a Christian sights tour. A nice way to get around on a super hot day. Had not planned to see catacombs but glad the tour included that.

A non-tour favorite - just strolling out tiny neighborhood, from market to gelato to antique store to wonderful restaurant. I think of that tiny slice of Rome often. More than anything else from the trip.
Sep 10th, 2019, 08:23 PM

My most nostalgic memory of Rome was my first ménage a trois at a pension near the train station in 1975.
Sep 10th, 2019, 08:24 PM

Hmmm......

-Xmas eve 1990: a solo flutist busked moonlit in a dark side-street by Pza Navonna, making for a very atmospheric half hour for those of us strolling there (we tape recorded him).
-spring 2015: our B&B host's dachshund surprised the ____ outa' me by suddenly jumping into my lap unexpectedly as I wrote in our journal out on the patio, unawares of its lurking presence.
-fall 2017: we enjoyed the unique view from the deck of our 6th floor Monti rental.
-multiple times: strolling via Giulia from top to bottom, then back again for the bridge views and more---the 'salon street' of Rome.

I am done. The end.
Sep 10th, 2019, 08:39 PM

On our last day in Rome we hired a taxi driver to take us to all the sights we hadn't managed to see before, and our very favorite was the church of San Stefano Rotundo,a very large circular church known for its huge frescoes of the martyrdoms of saints. Our driver came in and looked around with us, saying he'd never been there before and it was a big surprise.
Sep 11th, 2019, 05:09 AM

I also did an After Hours Tour of the Vatican Museum back in 2007 I think. It remains a highlight of that trip. To have the Sistine Chapel completely to our own small group was amazing.

I also really enjoyed Context Rome's Caravaggio walking tour.
Sep 11th, 2019, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by amyb View Post
I also did an After Hours Tour of the Vatican Museum back in 2007 I think. It remains a highlight of that trip. To have the Sistine Chapel completely to our own small group was amazing.
I wish I had done that. The crowds at the Sistine Chapel - especially very rude people - made it one of my least favorite memories of the entire 16 day trip.
Sep 11th, 2019, 05:42 AM
mms

We did a tour of the Vatican through the USO. We were the only people on the tour, and the guide was so good with our kids!
Sep 11th, 2019, 05:49 AM

I do want to take the Vatican garden tour on my next trip. Thanks amyb for the after hours Sistine Chapel tip!
Sep 11th, 2019, 06:06 AM

Offering roasted chestnuts from a paper cone (in lieu of patronage) to the prostitutes near Termini when I was just a wee lad of eighteen.
Sep 11th, 2019, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by starrs View Post
I wish I had done that. The crowds at the Sistine Chapel - especially very rude people - made it one of my least favorite memories of the entire 16 day trip.
If you get to do the after hours tour, place your camera dead center on the floor pointed upward. Set the timer for long enough for you to get out of the way. It's one photo enlargement I still have on my walls at home.

This is who I went with then, not sure how good they still are as it's been a while. Italy With Us
Sep 11th, 2019, 07:07 AM

Great tips! Thanks!

I'm glad I went to Rome. It was at the end of a 16 day trip and I learned on that trip that 11 days is good for me. It was very very HOT in October. I didn't fall in love with Rome. I'm not sure when I want to go back, but maybe in winter. Fewer crowds and less heat would be lovely. None of the other locations came close to those negative Rome variables.
Sep 11th, 2019, 07:49 AM
J62

After reading some of the replies perhaps it's best I don't comment on my experiences at a pension in the early 80's as a high school senior....
Albergo near Campo di Fiori to be precise on location.

Last edited by J62; Sep 11th, 2019 at 08:12 AM.
Sep 11th, 2019, 08:43 AM

Seeing the Ponte Sant'Angelo, Santa Maria della Vittoria,

Then learning the name Bernini: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...orenzo_Bernini AND

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponte_Sant%27Angelo
Sep 11th, 2019, 10:32 AM
ET

>> Name a favorite Rome experience... <<

The food
Sep 11th, 2019, 11:42 AM

You will get fabulous views of Rome from Castel Sant'Angelo.

Rent a bike in Villa Borghese.

Buy something from Gucci on the Via Condotti.

Thin,aristocrat 📸
Sep 11th, 2019, 12:33 PM

I took my sister to Rome end of August 2016. It was hot but I prior mentioned the famous Babington's tea room at the Spanish steps. When my sister saw it, she just had to go in. Who wants hot tea when its 90 degrees out? Well, I ended up getting a peach iced tea and a dessert. My sister loved it and I really liked the iced tea. She wanted to recreate it last November but no peach so we couldn't recreate the experience.
Sep 11th, 2019, 05:15 PM

During our visit in September 2010, my husband and I were walking back from a restaurant near Piazza del Popolo back to the Spanish Steps sometime after midnight when we came across this gathering of swing dancers. The music came from a large boombox. Some of the dancers were dressed in old fashioned swing clothes and some were in modern dress. It all felt very inclusive and free. The vibe was incredible. It was an evening of amazing food and wine topped off by a beautiful late night stroll.
Sep 11th, 2019, 05:58 PM

Sitting in Piazza Navona in the late evening doing nothing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO