Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mykonos to Santorini Ferry - ferry choices and is a VIP upgrade worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2024, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all Re-posting this in the Greece Forum.
Against my better judgment I have booked our ferry from Mykonos to Santorini on the Seajets Express Jet. I am afraid it will be a rough ride...

Reading through general reviews it seems VIP is recommended, but it is a shorter trip (2.5 hours) and the increase in price is higher than expected. A silver ticket costs 77.70, versus business at 129.70 and VIP at 157.70 for this trip. Is the upgrade worth it on this vessel?

I am also debating cancelling and switching to Fast Ferries Thunder (where equivalent prices are 62.90, 89.00 and 104.00 respectively), or just booking a sliver seat on Seajet's bigger Power Jet instead (cost is only 58.70) for the more stable, but later departing, and 30min longer journey. Thoughts?
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, there isn't much distinction, as Seajets often rotate their vessels during the summer. Hence, even if you have a preferred boat, there's no guarantee it'll be the one you get. I'd suggest considering the morning scheduled one, which departs from Mykonos early and arrives around noon. This is one of their largest boats, and this time slot tends to be quite popular.

If you'd prefer to circumvent this, there's another option that arrives in Santorini around 4:30 pm, which concludes its journey in Crete. This boat is usually less crowded and it's also a large vessel.