Mykonos Imperial and Elia Beach

Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Mykonos Imperial and Elia Beach

We booked this lodging? Is it a great snorkel/walking beach? We don't want anything too crowded. Feedback on the condition of the hotel? It was lower priced than some of the other 5 star Myconians, so I'm curious as to why.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM

Hi

When are you visiting? This will make big difference.

Elia beach can be very busy in summer season and has always had a mixture of gay and straight visitors. Possibly more gays peoples now. Some parts of the beach has nude sunbathing.

Elia is a remote beach although after some walking you can easily reach Agari beach. This is quieter but also has a gay/straight mix.

You can aslo find small boats at Elia that will take you to Platys Gialos or Ornos beaches.

Please know that Elia is good distance from town and will take close to 20 - 25 minutes travel time.

There are water sports at Elia but not sure if good for snorkeling. This is found at mostly at Psarou Beach where equipment is rented for the sport.

If it is the Mykonian Imperial Hotel you have booked then it is one four belongign to same hotel gtroup. It is not situated on the beach but high above it on cliff. Is not so good for people with walking problems as can be difficult to get down to beach.

Not so sure why it is lower priced but perhaps does not offer so many favcilities although one if its sister hotels is close beside and maybe you share with them. Can I suggest you look at reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor?

If I can help more please leave message.

thanos
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:08 PM

Thanos-GR has given you very good advice. He should know as he lives on Mykonos. I looked at Trip Advisor for your hotel and it gets really bad reviews. Do you have to stay there? I'm sure Thanos or Brotherleelove could tell you of other, better hotels. I like staying at Agari beach, but I'm not sure about the new accommodations. The old ones are OK but not too lux. I love the family, the beach and the great food. As Thanos said, it's a good 20 minute drive to town or by boat from Platys Gialos ( you can get a bus from town)
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM

I meant a bus from Mykonos town to Platys Gialos and from there a boat. The family also have a van to pick you up and they use to make a run in the evenings to town and come back and pick you up.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM

Hi Chatham!

My apologies but I lose your address and so many other peoples when had problems with YahooGr. I am pleased to get chance to tell you I was not rude when not contacting you.

I also enjoy very much Agari but my two special beachs are Lia and Ftelia. The winds at Ftelia are fantastic but the quietness of Lia is special! I think though Lia is becoming more busy but I hope it does not change to much.

Best wishes, Chatham

athanasios
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:51 PM

krissykris, sorry to hi-jack your post, hopefully Thanos can be a great help to you.

Thanos, I moved across country and have a new e-mail address :

[email protected]

I can't find yours now. Thanos, where would be a good place for krissykris to stay? I stayed with my widow-in-law or Hotel Eleni(?) or Agari.
Great to talk to you again, Joan

Feb 4th, 2007, 09:55 AM

I'll email you Joan.

KrissyKris,

Happy to help you with more suggestions.

Is it a beach hotel you want or a hotel in town? Also, if you can let me know a perhaps how much your lodging amount for each night is then I can narrow a hotel for you.

thanos
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking for a deluxe hotel that will feel unique. We prefer smaller hotels that are not so crowded.
We don't mind a gay mix.
We were in Mykonos for a day on a cruise, but don't know it very well to pick a "not too crowded beach". We will be there the 25th-28th of September. Hotel suggestions from there? Anybody know anything about St John or Mykonos Blue?
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

What do you think of Santa Marina Resort and Villas or Saint JOhn Hotel Villa? Which beach would you best suggest for calm water and snorkeling?
WE don't want a crowded beach, and prefer to have a quiet location.
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:32 AM

For a hotel choice, I'd consider Mykonos Grand - an absolutely wonderful hotel!
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM

By the way, when we stayed there 2 years ago, I used sme-travel.com for my reservations - at least 40E less expensive than other sites that I could find.
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:57 AM

krissykris, I like Psarou Beach more than St. John as it is more sheltered. As for crowds, I don't think you'll have a problem the time of year you are going. It's perfect, crowds gone, places still open, and warm enough to swim. Mykonos Blu does look lovely.
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Two of the three hotels I was going to recommend have been advised already. Mykonos Grande and Grecotel's Mykonos Blu.

The Grande is a very good hotel, large and located at my favourite part of the island Ag. Ioannis - this hotel is considered by many people here as the best on the island.

Ag Ioannis has a small, long narrow beach which will not be busy when you are there. The beach however is unlike Elia or many others becuase it is small and almost private. I think snorkeling would be good here too, next to the little and very old harbour.

The area looks accross to Delos. The light here is very strong due to the Apollonia effect, very vivid colours and very beautiful.

The St John is neighbour of the Grande. The Santa Marina Resort is close to Ornos which can be busy a busy beach at any time of year although a short distance to town. I know little about the hotel and do not hear too much words spoken about it.

Psarou is also a very very good suggestion and the Mykonos Blu gets good ratings. Grecotel the owners are well known in Greece at providing good service. Psarou as Joan say already is a beautiful beach and will be quiet when you visit.

One other if I may suggest is the Apollonia Bay Hotel also located at Ag Ioannis. It says it is a resort but it is not. It is a small boutique hotel with beautiful views to Delos. I thank Gaspard who posts here regularly for it's web address which is herebr />
http://www.apollonia-resort.gr

thanos
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:52 PM

Kalimera Thanos,
Glad to hear from you. And glad you like the Apollonia Hotel too. The Koussathanas family takes extremely good care of its small but very stylish hotel.
Thanos, this year Im not coming for Easter, its to early, but in September there is always a feast in Agios Ioannis and I will be there to listen to the traditional laika and rembetika music. Do you know perhaps the day it happens? (22, 23?)
Joseph Gaspard L.
[email protected]
Feb 5th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Kalinýchta Joseph

I take no credit for the website address. That is all yours. If you remember, my attempt a few months ago found the incorrect site.

Yes I recommend this hotel to KrissyKris because the area is special and the hotel is too. The Grande is a very good hotel but the Apollonia is smaller and I think more intimate. The Koussathanas familes on the island (there are many) own a good number of hotels. They are all related and all an from an old traditional hospitable island family.

I do not yet know the date of the feast but when I get inforamtion I will let you know

thanos