Mykonos and Santorini

Apr 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Mykonos and Santorini

At the end of October, our cruise ship will be stopping at the ports of Mykonos and Santorini. As we will only be in each port for a day, we want to make the most of our time spent on these islands. What sightseeing spots are a must see? Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations?
Apr 21st, 2006, 04:22 PM

By the end of October much of the tourist infrastructure of Santorini will be closed up for the season. Most of what will still be up and running will be near to the area where the cruise ship anchors, below the main village of Fira. You'll find some boutiques, jewelry shops and souvenier stands. The archaeological sites will be closed. If you have a full day I recommend that you rent a car to explore some of the island. There are several rental agencies along the main road, downhill a short distance from the cliff. Santorini's not so large that you can't cover most of it in a few hours. Drive to the most beautiful village of Oia. I'm sure you'll find a few restaurants still open in the heart of the village, although I don't know which ones at that late date.
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:02 PM

Depending on your preferences, while at Mykonos, the quick trip to Delphi is interesting for history; otherwise, just relax on one of the beaches. For restaurant recommendations - if still there (we were there 2001), Chez Maria remains one of our most memorable dining experiences. In town, but a few sreets off the beaten path. Dine in a private garden setting - fabulous ambience, food and service.

While on Santorini, Akrotiri provides a great historical perspective. But be sure to head to Oia for the amazing views, and sunset. Didn't dine there, so no personal recommendations on restaurants...
May 7th, 2006, 06:35 AM

A must on Santorini is a visit to the Caldera, it's still a semi-active volcano in the bay below Fira (you won't be able to miss it from your cruise ship).
May 7th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Luvs2travel means Delos. Do go there if you can. I just checked a website that says it is open throughout the winter, Tue-Sun.