My top 5 pubs in London

Search

My top 5 pubs in London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My top 5 pubs in London

I lived in London for 3 years before grudgingly moving back home. A week ago I had the opportunity to pop back into town (one year after leaving) and had to decide which pubs I absolutely needed to revisit because of my limited time. It was a painful choice to narrow so many wonderful pubs down to a few, but here are the places I absolutely couldn't resist spending time in again. Here are my 5. Anyone else want to boil down theirs?
1) The Holly Bush in Hampstead. A very country-ish pub with good food, wonderful atmosphere and location. Tricky to find. Exit Hampstead tube and walk right. Half a block in, look across the street for small stairway going up the hill. Keep walking and you will run into The Holly Bush.
2.) Had to pay a visit to the incredible Ye Olde Mitre (off of Hatton st). Nothing like the atmosphere (both in the alley way and inside the two rooms and upstairs), the good ale with a bit of scotch egg with mustard to line the stomach. It's a classic.
3) The Lamb and Flag in Covent Garden never fails to take me all the way back in time as well.. Amazingly raw and unchanged.
4) The Flask in Highgate is a personal favorite for sitting in the outdoor area on a fine day, perhaps for Sunday roast.
5) The Seven Stars, behind the Courts of Justice. An evocative street and great little pub with nice landlady and resident cat.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Ebacher, thank you for your suggestions. I will be in London in June. Particularly interested in the Seven Stars.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 01:27 AM

1. The George off Borough High Street - one of the oldest old coaching inns and has a lovely courtyard for drinking outside in good weather.

2. Williamson's off Bow Lane in the City - down a tiny little alley and serves affordable beer and wine in the City.

3. Blackfriar's at Blackfriar's station - lovely decorated with marble and good pies.

4. Cittie of Yorke at Holborn - old school interior with little booths for privacy. Not so good for food, but nice for a pint.

5. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet St - again, not good for food, but great interior with all different dark rooms and bars to enjoy a drink.

I could go on and on...
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 04:18 AM

(I'm not a beer drinker so don't speak to the quality of the brews! The food was decent and the service congenial.)

I almost hesitate to name names, because the reason I enjoyed these two is that it seemed we were the only two non-locals in these two pubs and I rather liked that, not trying to "be" a local but enjoying being there. We had rooms in a mews half a minute from both of them and stopped there often in our two weeks' stay.

The Nag's Head and the Wilton Arms, both on Kinnerton Street in Belgravia. Just a couple turns off busy Knightsbridge--and it's like you are miles away from busy London.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

jamikins, great 5! The pubs you list are true classics that remind me of how cruel a choice it really was. I did pop downstairs at Cittie of York for a forgettable pie, but should have grabbed a pint upstairs in that magical, ancient room. And the Cheese is not to be missed for any visitor to London. Nor the George. Williamson's I will investigate next time!
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 03:46 AM

Another gem I love it the Jamaica Wine House off Cornhill by Bank station: http://www.jamaicawinehouse.co.uk/

So many great pubs, so little time...
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 03:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
This is a great thread. I was going to ask about pubs for our upcoming trip and figured there might be a thread about them (I see there are several). Bookmarking!
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 05:23 PM

Not to change the subject, but when we first moved to London on assignment in the 80's, we stayed at a company flat on Kinnerton Street. Loved that neighborhood. Brings back many memories.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 05:51 PM

The Crutched Friar, Tower Hill. We didn't eat there, but it has nice beers (Nicholsons) and a friendly atmosphere. There is a small outdoor area through the back, hemmed in by tall buildings. I also liked the Flask in Hampstead (not the same as the Flask in Highgate) and several others along the river in Hammersmith.

Thanks for your top 5. I know the Lamb & Flag, and I look forward to checking out your others next time I'm in London.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 05:57 PM

Should also have mentioned the Sherlock Holmes near Charing Cross station. Also the Queens Larder and the Friend in Hand, both in Bloomsbury. I could go on and on.... As you say, narrowing it down to 5 is really hard!
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 11:13 PM

I was thinking only yesterday that people going into the Sherlock Holmes might also want to pop round the corner to the Ship and Shovell.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 12:23 AM

ttt
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 12:51 AM

Going to add another one my Moorgate
Old Doctor Butlers Head:
http://www.shepherd-neame.co.uk/pub/...lers-head.aspx
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 01:13 AM

Our local in London is the Anglesea Arms, recommended to us by CW years ago. Excellent food too. not precooked and microwaved!
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 09:32 AM

The princess Louise in Holborn is definitely unique...little compartments, i walked it and had no clue how to get across to the other side- its rather different- i think its Victorian- its certainly worth a visit if you are nearby

http://www.timeout.com/london/bars/v...rincess-louise
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Going to add this little gem as well, was there the other night:
http://www.theshiptavern.co.uk/
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 09:35 AM

taking notes. I have loved every pub I have been into in London, including about 5 one night with C_W. It would be so hard for me to choose except with great food since the are all utterly gorgeous and charming, imo.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM

Another great pub with mostly locals, just off the beaten path by Tower Bridge: http://thedeanswift.com/

And another great place for pizza, or a pint in the sunshine by Tower Hill:
http://www.dickensinn.co.uk/
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM

I am super delighted with all of the responses to my inquiry. I have cut and pasted all of these into a Document and will definitely check these out, locating on our map.

Wow...I feel like 5 days is going to be gone in a flash. Looks like a return visit will certainly be upcoming.

Again, we (our group of 6) all appreciate your suggestions. Thankx a $$Million.

Melaine
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 07:11 PM

I'd have to vote for the Albion Pub in Islington
http://wp.me/p2r6no-3K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -