Reload this Page >

My silly little trip

Search

My silly little trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 08:44 AM
Roger

My silly little trip

My wife of 30 plus years is allowing me to go on my own to the UK this March. I am 62, in good health and have visited the UK in the past. Here's my plan. Will arrive Heathrow from SFO March 15th-stright to king cross station and taking the train to Newcastle. Next morning to Hadderins (spelling) wall and then to Carlisle to catch the train to Glasgow. Next morning catching the 8:12 train to Oban, not sure why Oban, but can't think of any reason not to go. Arrive Saturday and will spend all day Sunday in the area. Monday train to Preston, spend the night and then to Liverpool, again, not sure why but it seems like the right thing to do. That afternoon I plan on going to Derby. Wednesday to London and flight back home Thursday. I know this sounds nutty but its what I want to do. The questions: Can the rail pass be validated at Heathrow or must it be done at the Rail station? Any suggested changes to my plans? Lastly, does anyone know of B&B's near the train stations along the way. Thanks for any input. Have a good Holiday.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:49 AM
jms

Roger, I would repost this with a subject heading attracting those with the info you need. I think the rail pass is the main thing you're asking about, so post it with a subject line like that. Hope you have a great trip.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:57 AM
lisa

<BR>hiya! <BR> <BR>i do believe you can get train pass validated at heathrow and use it for the express to kings cross station....sorry... no helpl with the B&B's!!!!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 10:08 AM
Roger

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that I could validate at Heathrow for that exact purpose as I will have an 8 day pass and as I will be going up to Newcastle it would be like a free trip into London.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 10:13 AM
ron

What an interesting/odd trip. If you really want to see Hadrian's Wall, I would suggest taking the train from London Euston to Carlisle on the arrival day, staying over night there. Next day take the bus to one or more of the stops along the wall, do some walking along the wall and then return to Carlisle for onward train to Glasgow. Lots of good inexpensive B&Bs in Carlisle within 3 or 4 blocks of the station. I can recommend Naworth House, £22 per night single. <BR> <BR>For the rest I cannot say. I've stayed in Glasgow, but I'm not aware of any reasonable B&Bs in the central core, near the train stations. Most are in the West End, around Kelvingrove. <BR> <BR>Surely there must be a better place to spend a night than in Preston? <BR> <BR>The times that I have bought Brit Rail passes, I have always had them validated at the train station, but I have never tried to see if it could be done at LHR - I like to get out of there as quickly as possible. <BR> <BR>Contrary to what Lisa says, the express train goes to Paddington, not Kings Cross. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. <BR> <BR>Ron

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 10:14 AM
Sheila

I tend to recommend Adelaide's Guest house in Bath Street in Glasgow, Roger. A quck search on here will get you the address. I'm too bushed to look it up right now. Or e-mail tomorrow and I'll find it for you.<BR><BR>Oban is harder, becasue it's one of those places that has masses of mediocre accommodation. The only positive recommendation I can find in a book is the Barriemore Hotel(01631 566356) at the far end of the Esplanade. Shouldn't be a problem becasue Oban's just not that big- maybe 20 minutes' walk?<BR><BR>Feel free to get in touch if I can help any more<BR><BR>Please feel free to get back to me

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 10:24 AM
Dave

Roger, <BR> <BR>If you're taking the train from Newcastle to Carlisle, Haltwhistle is probably as close as you'll come to a well-preserved stretch of Hadrian's Wall. From Haltwhistle the wall is about a 3-mile walk (although it's been three years so my memory is fuzzy). <BR> <BR>There is a special bus service along this central stretch of the wall, but I don't think it will be running yet in March. Since it sounds like you're planning a quick stop, you might be forced to hire a taxi (in which case it might be better to stop someplace other than Haltwhistle). <BR> <BR>Is there a specific reason you want to spend the night in Newcastle? You could see the sights (Castle Garth and the Tyne Bridges are about it) in an hour or two, then go on to Haltwhistle or Hexam to see the wall and spend the night. The countryside along the central portion of Hadrian's Wall is really spectacular and I personally would much rather spend a day walking along the wall in the Cawfield Crags area than wasting time in Newcastle. <BR> <BR>For more info, check out www.hadrians-wall.org

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 10:46 AM
Tony Hughes

Roger I dont think it will be as difficult as it looks at first sight. Main problem would be the trains and the somewhat flexible timetable. If trains run on time then you'll have a blast. Not too tiring as you wont be driving etc. <BR> <BR>It sounds like the sort of trip I woul dmake were I not Scottish. Oban is worth the trip if only to see that funyn amphitheatre thing (Sheila, whatsit called?). Built to give people something to do. <BR> <BR>Solo and alfresco, the way it should be.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 10:47 AM
Roger

What a reat response. <BR>To Ron. Can you suggest something other than Preston. On the map it looks like as stop after the 6 hours from Oban. <BR>To Sheila. I was hoping you would reply and I thank you for doing so. One of my reason for doing this trip on the cheap ( I can afford better accommodatons) is just for the experience or perhaps to recapture my youth. Just me, my backpack and my hopes for memories. <BR>To Dave. The reason for a night in Newcastle is this. On the day of my flight I will have awaken at 4:30, worked until 3:00, cab it to SFO, take the 6:00pm flight and arrive at Heathrow around noon. By the time I get to Newcastle it will be time for a bite to eat and sleep. Nent morning I am off to see what I can of Hadrian's Wall and work my way to Glasgow. Thanks you all and just to let you know, my wife thinks I am nuts for wanting to do this.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 11:28 AM
Roger

Please excuse my poor typing. I can spell better than what it shows. Thanks again. Tony, I think you understand what my trip is about. Hey, if I don't make a connection it's no big deal as long as I get back to London in time for my morning flight home.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 11:28 AM
nancy

you are not nuts! <BR>you are lucky! <BR>Have fun.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 12:09 PM
Jane

Most of the B&Bs in Newcastle are situated in Jesmond which is a couple of metro stops after the station. If you just want to roll off the train into a comfortable bed, then there are two posh hotels near the station - one next door (called the Royal Station, funnily enough) and one opposite which I can't remember the name of, sorry. www.smoothound.co.uk probably has details of B&Bs

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 03:22 PM
Sheila

Roger<BR><BR>The "funny amphitheatre thing" is McCaig's Folly.<BR><BR>But there's a good distillery to visit in Oban as well.<BR><BR>And the scenery is glorious. Only problem is it always rains!!(always always).<BR><BR>Also I recommended a couple of places at the $65-70 per night mark. I can do cheaper if you're looking for hostels.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 07:28 PM
ron

Roger, re my comment on Preston. I have been through there and changed trains there a number of times, and it seemed profoundly uninteresting. Options - from Preston, you cannot be much more than 30 to 45 minutes from Liverpool, why not just go there for overnight? If you must stop along the way, even Lancaster would be a better option. But, hey, this whole trip is an adventure - maybe there is something in Preston that millions of visitors have been overlooking, and you can find out for us. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR> <BR>Ron

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 02:28 AM
Tony

Roger.. <BR> <BR>Getting back to your main question I think you will find that you have to validate your rail pass at Kings Cross. The express from Heathrow to Paddington is not covered by the pass and costs Ten Pounds one way. <BR>Please skip Preston and Liverpool too for that matter. Get off the train at Oxenholme, for a connection to Windermere and the wonderful Lake District, for a day of bracing walks or rent a car to see some great countryside and country pubs. <BR>Derby is not too flash either - perhaps try Warwick Castle or Stratford in lieu. <BR>Other than that sounds like a lot of fun, even in March.

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Roger

To Sheila, let it rain. Perhaps its part of the adventure. No hostels. A quiet guest house near a Pub where I can sip the local single malt. Thanks for the offer. <BR>To Ron. I thought about going to Liverpool and not stop at Preston but after the long ride from Oban I might need a break before getting as far as liverpool. I expect just a transfer type city, not for touring, but who knows? <BR>To Tony. Been to Warwick and Stratford. Looking for a place a bit different. Liverpool is not a "lock", I am still open to suggestions and I want to save the Lake district when I take a more normal trip with my wife. <BR>Any suggestions in lieu of Derby. <BR>Yesterday my wife told my son about this trip, he was supportive.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 06:27 AM
Liz

Your best bet for finding accommodation is www.smoothhound.co.uk They claim to be the best online directory for cheap accommodation in the UK. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip (although why you want to see those funny cities is beyond me! What about the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales, York and Edinburgh?)

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 07:49 AM
Roger

Thanks Liz. I guess my answer to your comment about the places I am going to go to is I am trying to have a bit of an adventure. Those places like York, the Dales, Edinburgh and others are the places American tourist go to and in many cases I have been to. Just want an off the wall kind of trip, but between now and March I may change it around a bit. Why Preston? Just because it's not your typical tourist spot. Thanks again.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 07:43 AM
frank

The rail trip from Glasgow to Oban is slow but very scenic.The tourist info centre not far from the station has all kinds of accomodation, which should be easy to find in March. <BR>You'll like Oban!Its a fishing (mostly small boats)and ferry port, the gateway to the Isles.Try a boat trip.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 05:35 AM
Roger

Thanks Frank. In other posts I read recommendations for a hotel in Glasgow near the train station. Believe I will be arriving at the Central station and will need to leave from Queen Street station. Still trying to find out what station they are referring to. Aslo, I assume that boat and bus tours are availabe from Oban to Mull. Thanks for any additional information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -