Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My question was banished to the Italy forum, so I'll ask it again -- Best places to go in Italy in December?

Search

My question was banished to the Italy forum, so I'll ask it again -- Best places to go in Italy in December?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 11:29 AM
amanda

I'll be going to Italy for 10 days right before Christmas, spending a couple of days in Rome, and I'm looking for two other destinations that would be good this time of year. I've already been to Rome and Florence, but those are the only places in Italy. Looking at Venice and Tuscany (probably Siena). Have always wanted to see Cinque Terre or Amalfi and Lake Region, but I'm thinking they might be better saved for another, warmer, time. I'm interested in beautiful scenery, aimless wandering, and just soaking up atmosphere -- not too much of a museum focus this time. Thanks! <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 12:11 PM
xxx

Perhaps you should in fact be posting on the Italy subcategory then. <BR> <BR>Regardless of what some people here seem to believe, the owner of this website is Fodor's, and as the owner they can do whatever they wish. Just be grateful that you can log onto a free travel internet forum with limited advertising at all. <BR> <BR>All this whining is getting old.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 12:14 PM
Holly

Touchee (sorry, don't know how to insert accent mark) to xxx! <BR> <BR>Why don't you whiners get with the program and use the new format? Once you get over the shock of the change, you might find that it's actually useful. <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 12:49 PM
No sub-boards

Here's an idea. If amanda prefers to have her question on the Europe "Motherboard" (I love that term!), she is welcome to do so. If she would prefer to have her question ignored on the Italy board, she is welcome to do that too. <BR> <BR>What is unwelcome is people like xxxx and Holly deciding how and where other people should post their questions.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 01:03 PM
russ

Amanda, <BR> <BR>Since no one elso seems to care to answer your question, I will make a couple of suggestions. <BR> <BR>If the cold weather does not deter you, I think a visit to either the Cinque Terre or the Amalfi Coast (Positano is my favorite) will be well rewarded. The summer time crowds can really detract from the experience, so you should have a either location virtually to yourself. <BR> <BR>Having said that, Siena is my favorite city in Tuscany, and again, to see it with with fewer crowds is the way to go. If you decided to combine Siena and Cinque Terre, be sure to spend a night in Lucca, my second favorite city in Tuscany. You will enjoy a slice of real Italian life. <BR> <BR>Enjoy. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 08:08 PM
Santa Chiara

Venice is great in winter; no crowds; cheaper prices; more patient people. Cold, so bundle up, but you can catch some spectacularly clear days. Have a great time.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:52 AM
Art

Pisa has great historical sig even without being able to climb the tower. This is where Galaleao discovered the laws of falling bodies and the law of the Pendulum which has affected modern physics and technology to such a great extent.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 09:38 AM
amanda

Russ, Santa Chiara, and Art, thanks for your replies -- I had to go out of town unexpectedly, so I'm just now reading them. I've definitely decided on Venice, now, so I'll just have to pick between the coast and Tuscany (although I'm leaning toward Siena with a stop in Pisa, Art). It sounds like any destination will be chilly but untouristy -- a good trade-off, I think! <BR>

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 09:45 AM
joe cameron

Amanda: Now that you've decided on Venice, if you need a hotel, check out the website for Hotel Flora. Fabulous. And right now, make a reservation at Da Fiore restaurant for a great meal. And be sure to take the public boat from Marco Polo Airport into the city, getting off at San Marco. What a fabulous place you've chosen to visit. Have a great time, and please post a note afterwards giving all the details. Ciao