My Photos of Turkey

Search

My Photos of Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Photos of Turkey

Well, after countless hours of working on my photos site I have completed my photo journal! Here is a link to my photos of Istanbul, Cappadocia and Selcuk.

www.windjammer.smugmug.com.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Those are fantastic photos! Thank you for posting. I hope my pictures turn out half as good as yours.

Y'all are a cute couple!
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:32 AM

which album are you in?
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Tamara, looking at your photos with a tremendous sense of deja vu. We were in Turkey in 1999 and I have pictures that are identical to yours! Especially the markets!

You and Peter look so content!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Sorry Dick. When you copy and paste the link in your browser do not copy the dot at the very end of the link.

Use it like this:

www.windjammer.smugmug.com
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM

great photos...thanks for sharing them..looks like you had a fabulous time

and thanks for introducing me to a new photo site...the last one i found was photosig.com
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Your photos were everything I'd have expected of you Eurotraveller (I have a niece with the same lovely first name -and smile - as you.)
Excellent photos ! Thank you for sharing.

I love taking shots of roman architecture (columns, arches, pedestals, etc.) and have lots from my trip to Jordan last month.

Now I have Turkey on my list for 2006.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Terrific pix - they make me wish I was still wandering the streets of Istanbul! Probably no surprise some of the shots are similar to ones I took, but yours look so much better. Were they all taken with a Canon sd10? Do you like that camera overall, and how is battery life, etc.?
Thanks again, and maybe we should plan a GTG in Sitanbul....
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Mathieu, do you have a link to your Jordan photos? And thanks for the compliment!

Seamus, I have a Canon SD 100 and I love it! As for the battery life, last year it would last through 2 full days of picture taking. I think I need to replace it because I would be lucky to get through a full day of shooting pictures on this last trip. I am going to buy a back up before I venture out again. I also have Jasc photo editing software. I used it to lighten up several of the dark photos and crop a few but other than that I didn't do any altering.

I am all for going back to Istanbul! The city just throbs with life!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:19 PM

My photos aren't up yet Eurotraveller but I hope to have them up soon. I've been scouting around for a good photoeditor package and share-site. (I'm just about to post my belated Croatia trip report.)

This was my first holiday experience with a digital camera so many of the photos are quite experimental, but they capture the sense of place quite well. They aren't as nice as yours though. I'll keep you posted.

Count me in for an Istanbul GTG if its in 2006.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 08:05 AM

How very generous of you to share your photos.

I did want to know if anyone else knew why those ladies in Cappadocia would turn away as you approached. While I never had it happen to me in Turkey, it did happen a lot in Morocco.

My best guess is that the locals are just tired of having cameras pointed at them.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Mathieu, I am looking forward to reading your trip report from your Croatia trip! A couple of ladies I work with are going there for their first trip to Europe because I raved about it so much!

Femi, regarding the ladies that turn away, we wouldn't even have a camera out. They would be sitting on their stoop in front of their house and they would get up and go inside the moment they saw us. This only happened in Goreme. Hmmm... very interesting! Can anyone give us some insight?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 09:11 AM

Nice shots. Since I'm considering a trip there they give a good representation of what I'll see.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:26 AM

I had the same experience with the women turning away (sometimes with great alarm) in Jordan and in the Maldives.

I was in the desert in Wadi Rum when I asked my guide if we could stop off to visit a Bedouin encampment that we happened to be passing. Sitting crossed legged under the rough woven goat hair tent, sipping hot mint tea, I carefully uncovered my camera to capture the moment with the shepherd and his beautiful and very exotic looking wife. In seconds, she leapt up with a cry, indicated "no photo" with her hands and retreated to the far end of the oblong tent behind a curtain until the camera was put away.

Similar experience in the Maldives when visiting remote island villages off the tuna fishing boat I was travelling on.

When I asked my Jordanian guide (who was also a Bedouin) about this reaction, he told me there were 2 reasons for this : one was a cultural/religious one, stating that some muslim women, not wanting to be the cause of any sort of attraction under strict muslim law, would not want to be photographed. This would explain the Maldivian reaction where the population is mainly muslim. The second reason he gave me was that the women were wary that their image would show up on countless unauthorised screens under current net technology....